The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Sabres - Pettersson and 2021 1st for Reinhart and Dahlin

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Why the Sabres do it:

-Culture change

-New franchise center if Eichel leaves OR convincing Eichel to stay with Pettersson’s arrival 

-Sabres get a high 1st round pick to aid them in their rebuilding process.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Although Sam Reinhart is a clear downgrade from Elias Pettersson, he’s not as much as you might think.  Reinhart produces solid offense and also plays a solid two way game. More importantly, Reinhart’s cap hit will be much lower than whatever EP will earn in the future (this coming contract and beyond).  Furthermore, Reinhart is a homo grown BC boy and would likely be extremely to whatever it took to stay here upon becoming a UFA.

-The Canucks get their long term Edler replacement in Dahlin.  Although Dahlin has struggled in Buffalo, he still has the pedigree and makings to be a two way all-star  defenseman that can log big minutes and take on tough defensive assignments.  IF the Canucks can have both Dahlin and Hughes here long term, and both guys maximize their potential, then the Canucks will have one of the best defensive cores for years to come.  For the short term, Dahlin would still remain a cost controlled asset and will likely need another cap friendly bridge deal for a few more years.

Miller-Reinhart-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-####-####
Motte-Graovich-Highmore

Dahlin-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-With more freed up cap space, perhaps the Canucks can take a run at someone like Alex Wenneberg or Andreas Athanasiou for the 3rd line C spot.  Alternatively, the Canucks could use someone like Jack Rathbone to trade for a good young 3rd line center that plays a strong two way game and has decent playmaking abilities.

-A year later, the Canucks will have far more options when Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel all come off the books.

Hey Mike Milbury!!! 

See you're still hoping for another GM gig.

All the other GM's certainly hope you get hired too.

• Haha 2

a Snowball has a better chance in hell then Van making this trade tbh, Dahlin is already consider a bust by some not only that we are trading for a guy that is already on a strength for us if he Was Right shot D, it would have some legs i be it very very small legs but still none the less this trade makes zero sense for us i rather just offersheet Dahlin then trade our best player for him this just makes zero sense 

• Like 1

1. Dahlin isn't a bust. He's definitely a #1 defenseman and I'm confident that if the Sabres trade Eichel they can build their team around him. If the Sabres do trade Eichel, they'll need to get a first line forward and some extra pieces for the move to make sense. I mean they've got an elite center who they've had a disagreement with, they've got him under contract I don't really see how it makes sense to trade him. He was an absolute homerun at #2OA, if McDavid hadn't been available that year he would've been the strongest contender for first. 

2. With Elias Pettersson, trading a player that we're in the middle of developing would be incredibly unwise, unless we got a player under contract who is better, cheaper and the same age. Can you name a single player who fits that criteria? No? Well then it's not happening. We're keeping Pettersson and I'm confident our young forwards could at least be a contender to go deep in the playoffs. Our players need to mature and we need to enhance the supporting cast. 

3. Buffalo needs to trade Reinhart but it won't be to us. It'll be one of the other teams in the pacific other than Vegas and us. It could be Seattle, it could Anaheim or it could be Calgary but it won't be here. He makes too much money and we don't have a center or defenseman to spare that would make trading Sam Reinhart to us worth it for Buffalo. Honestly, the Oilers don't have depth to trade for Reinhart although perhaps the Sabres would be interested in Bouchard. Bouchard was supposed to replace Barrie so it doesn't make a ton of sense for Edmonton but they'll have to make some changes after being swept by the Jets. 

4. We're not trading our 2021 1st unless we get some kind of sweetheart deal that will clear Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson off-the-books for next season while still providing us with additional assets. Buying out Eriksson will be inevitable but we might be able to get rid of Beagle and Roussel. Why didn't JB listen to Linden when he told him not to sign these contracts? I mean, by then, the Eriksson contract was an absolute albatross so Benning must've anticipated that those contracts would suck. They could've spent half the money on some fill-in players, which for me would've been Brad Richardson, Drew Stafford or Tobias Rieder who were all available during the 2018 offseason. However after looking over the UFA list of the 2018 offseason I can see why Benning paid so much for Beagle and Roussel. If you look at comparable contracts, Derek Ryan got paid $3.15M x 3, Matt Calvert got paid $2.85M x 3 and the smoking gun: Leo Komarov to the islanders at 3M over 4 years, identical to what Beagle and Roussel got. Komarov would definitely be an upgrade over Beagle as he's good enough to be a 3C or a 3LW but I don't think he's as good in the faceoff circle. 

Anyways, I gave this some time hopefully some people will agree with me. Sorry for going off-topic once again folks I just decided to run with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nergish said:

I'd maybe consider Pettersson for Reinhart, Dahlin, and THEIR 1st.

Buffalo dies of laughter and we start calling them "Vancouver wings" instead of "Buffalo wings" because the entire population of Buffalo, New York has been wiped out by unbridled, painful laughter from reading this trade proposal. 

• RoughGame 1

lol this proposal wont be liked here. 

But it's actually decent. The trade is somewhat fair depending on how highly you value Dahlin. It could also do wonders for our team with a new and upcoming 1D in Dahlin and a pretty good player in Reinhart. I personally think Dahlin will live up to expectations and start to dominate the league in a couple of years, he is just freaking 21 right now. It also took Hedman a long time to finally breakout. 

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Not in a million years bro. We dont get rid of a 22 year superstar and a top 10 pick for them. 

Agreed. The hardest position to acquire is a franchise 1c, teams like the Wild, Habs, Rangers have been searching for year's. We got extremely lucky in 2017 and the thought of trading is nuts. Could you imagine watching Petey turn into a top 5 to-way force? Plus we have Quinn who has already been better offensively and as someone who watched every sabre, game RD has been worse defensively so far. Everyone cuts him slack because of his size and pedigree but the truth is he should be light-years ahead of Quinn because of his size and how good he was pre-draft. Maybe it's the switch to smaller ice maybe it's the team but I'm not at all impressed with him in the way others here who probably haven't watched him more than 2-3 times a season. 

17 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

Source please or maybe it's your own interpretation as usual?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol this proposal wont be liked here. 

But it's actually decent. The trade is somewhat fair depending on how highly you value Dahlin. It could also do wonders for our team with a new and upcoming 1D in Dahlin and a pretty good player in Reinhart. I personally think Dahlin will live up to expectations and start to dominate the league in a couple of years, he is just freaking 21 right now. It also took Hedman a long time to finally breakout. 

Dahlin has legit done nothing in the NHL to say he is a #1D, or developing into one.  There are at least 101-5 young NHL D that I would take over him at this stage.

Dahlin has two things: draft hype, and is still young.   He has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level, and is coming off a horrendous season.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I mentioned this in another thread but do you think the Canucks and Tampa would be open to exploring Pettersson for Cirreli and Cernak?

Dude, stop with the Ep trade proposals.  Do you really think he is going to get traded for a middle 6 centre and 2nd pair D?  Do you think that makes this team better?  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Why the Sabres do it:

-Culture change

-New franchise center if Eichel leaves OR convincing Eichel to stay with Pettersson’s arrival 

-Sabres get a high 1st round pick to aid them in their rebuilding process.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Although Sam Reinhart is a clear downgrade from Elias Pettersson, he’s not as much as you might think.  Reinhart produces solid offense and also plays a solid two way game. More importantly, Reinhart’s cap hit will be much lower than whatever EP will earn in the future (this coming contract and beyond).  Furthermore, Reinhart is a homo grown BC boy and would likely be extremely to whatever it took to stay here upon becoming a UFA.

-The Canucks get their long term Edler replacement in Dahlin.  Although Dahlin has struggled in Buffalo, he still has the pedigree and makings to be a two way all-star  defenseman that can log big minutes and take on tough defensive assignments.  IF the Canucks can have both Dahlin and Hughes here long term, and both guys maximize their potential, then the Canucks will have one of the best defensive cores for years to come.  For the short term, Dahlin would still remain a cost controlled asset and will likely need another cap friendly bridge deal for a few more years.

Miller-Reinhart-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-####-####
Motte-Graovich-Highmore

Dahlin-Schmidt 

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-With more freed up cap space, perhaps the Canucks can take a run at someone like Alex Wenneberg or Andreas Athanasiou for the 3rd line C spot.  Alternatively, the Canucks could use someone like Jack Rathbone to trade for a good young 3rd line center that plays a strong two way game and has decent playmaking abilities.

-A year later, the Canucks will have far more options when Beagle, Eriksson, and Roussel all come off the books.

Thats a horrible proposal

19 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

What leads you to believe(What sources?) this idea EP wants to move on and the Canucks are looking for a blockbuster deal? Swedes are usually pretty loyal if treated right

28 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats a horrible proposal

It may very well be but ask yourself this:

IF Dahlin was salvageable, and was still capable of living up to his full potential if he got out of the terrible Buffalo environment, would it still be a terrible deal?  

Keep in mind - a few years back, people were referring to Dahlin as being a generational prospect.  Not superstar.  Generational.  

Reinhart is no Pettersson obviously, but he’s still a damn good center.

41 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

What leads you to believe(What sources?) this idea EP wants to move on and the Canucks are looking for a blockbuster deal? Swedes are usually pretty loyal if treated right

His only source is the hatred for Benning as usual.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I mentioned this in another thread but do you think the Canucks and Tampa would be open to exploring Pettersson for Cirreli and Cernak?

I don’t see why they would.  It wouldnt solve their cap issues in any meaningful way and they’d have to replace a young top D 

Also. They have Stamkis and Point as their top 2 C. So I don’t see Pettersson having as much value to them as a team that’s weaker up the middle 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1