The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Sabres - Pettersson and 2021 1st for Reinhart and Dahlin

22 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

Why haven't the mods banned this clown?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

My first thought is why would we want to punish EP40 by sending him to Buffalo! 

Brave outside of the box proposal though.

Haha thanks.  I’ll admit that I was a bit nervous when I posted this but I’m glad that some people can Atleast see WHY this idea intrigued me.   

If Dahlin ever lives up to his potential, the Canucks would have the best defense in the league for the next 10 years, with Dahlin and Hughes manning separate pairings.   Meanwhile, Reinhart and Horvat would still make for a very solid 1-2 punch at center even if Reinhart is no Elias Pettersson. 

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

It may very well be but ask yourself this:

IF Dahlin was salvageable, and was still capable of living up to his full potential if he got out of the terrible Buffalo environment, would it still be a terrible deal?  

Keep in mind - a few years back, people were referring to Dahlin as being a generational prospect.  Not superstar.  Generational.  

Reinhart is no Pettersson obviously, but he’s still a damn good center.

Pattersson will be a super star for years to come and Reinhart is not in the same conversation. Dahlin would be someone I'd have interest in not at the expense of Pattersson.

Maybe Pattersson and our 2021 1st & 2022 2nd for Eichel & Dahlin

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

BUF : Petterson, Juolevi + our 1st 

VAN : Reinhart, Dahlin and Eichel (2M retained) 

i'm already gone.

I like that deal but I think we would have to maybe add a 2nd in 2022

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Pattersson will be a super star for years to come and Reinhart is not in the same conversation. Dahlin would be someone I'd have interest in not at the expense of Pattersson.

Maybe Pattersson and our 2021 1st & 2022 2nd for Eichel & Dahlin

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree.   

Playing Devil's advocate however, I'd also consider the following:   

1) At some point, Pettersson will likely command between 8-10 million in cap.  Maybe not in this coming contract, but certainly in the one after.  Reinhart however, being more of an upper 2nd line calibre center (or a 1B center at best), will likely only command between 5.5-6.5 million as his ceiling.  So in other words, would you rather have Pettersson at 8-10 million long term, or Reinhart + another 2.5-3.5 million guy?

2) "for years to come":   Keep in mind that Reinhart himself is only 25 years old and so he'll likely be at or near his current level for the next 7 years or so.  

Again - I likely wouldn't make this trade due to the fact that

1) Dahlin isn't guaranteed to live up to his potential

2) Trading Pettersson would cause NUCLEAR anger within the city amongst fans, media, and the players themselves,

but the concept of it does intrigue me.    Dahlin (maximized potential) + Hughes manning two separate defensive pairings = best defense in the NHL for the next decade+

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree.   

Playing Devil's advocate however, I'd also consider the following:   

1) At some point, Pettersson will likely command between 8-10 million in cap.  Maybe not in this coming contract, but certainly in the one after.  Reinhart however, being more of an upper 2nd line calibre center (or a 1B center at best), will likely only command between 5.5-6.5 million as his ceiling.  So in other words, would you rather have Pettersson at 8-10 million long term, or Reinhart + another 2.5-3.5 million guy?

2) "for years to come":   Keep in mind that Reinhart himself is only 25 years old and so he'll likely be at or near his current level for the next 7 years or so.  

Again - I likely wouldn't make this trade due to the fact that

1) Dahlin isn't guaranteed to live up to his potential

2) Trading Pettersson would cause NUCLEAR anger within the city amongst fans, media, and the players themselves,

but the concept of it does intrigue me.    Dahlin (maximized potential) + Hughes manning two separate defensive pairings = best defense in the NHL for the next decade+

Agree on the Hughes + Dahlin making us solidified on D for years but still a hard NO on Reinhart because he's not a #1 center and we have Bo as our #2, you need a #1 center to win a cup. That is why I countered with Pattersson + 2021 1st & 2022 #2 for Eichel(2 mil retained) & Dahlin which does what we both seem to want, which is a solid defense for years to come and a #1 center to boot. Maybe to make it work we add OJ as a sweetner

Edited by Sbriggs

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Agree on the Hughes + Dahlin making us solidified on D for years but still a hard NO on Reinhart because he's not a #1 center and we have Bo as our #2, you need a #1 center to win a cup. That is why I countered with Pattersson + 2021 1st & 2022 #2 for Eichel(2 mil retained) & Dahlin which does what we both seem to want, which is a solid defense for years to come and a #1 center to boot. Maybe to make it work we add OJ as a sweetner

Adding what 25 mill in salary? Giving away 6? Lol fun to dream :)

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Adding what 25 mill in salary? Giving away 6? Lol fun to dream :)

Yes we would be adding salary but not as much as you think, we need to sign Pattersson anyways and with Dahlin we don't need Edler and OJ won't need a raise either. And I don't see 25 mil addition for 2 players, your exaggerating. Pattersson contract will be 7+ mil and OJ will be between 1.5 & 2.5 mil once resigned if we can get 2 mil retained on Eichel(10 mil salary) & and get a reasonable deal on Dahlin considering he had a down year maybe 6.5-7.5 for 4 years or so I think we could make it work

Edited by Sbriggs

On 5/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

I wouldn't do this.  With that said, I'm led to believe the Canucks are looking at a package like this, although something more around a C.

EP has indicated he has no intention of seeing out the rest of his career here.

Oh Alain, who exactly are your sources? B) 

4 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Good points, although St.Louis proved in 2019 that you don’t always need a true #1 center to win a cup.  To your point though, I do realize that the Blues were a massive exception to the rule.

• Upvote 1