The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Moving up to land 1st overall in the draft. Would it be worth it?

[proposal] Moving up to land 1st overall in the draft.  Would it be worth it?

Obviously - this idea is contingent on how we do in the actual lottery, but would it be worth it from our perspective to try and move up?   This year’s draft is said to be a little weak relative to these past few years and so would this increase our chance? 

From my perspective, the Canucks’ biggest organizational need right now is a long term Alex Edler replacement.  A top pairing, all-situations defenseman that can log big minutes and take on tough match ups.  Hence, my interest in Owen Power or even a Simon Edvinsson.  

I don’t know how many spots we’d move up by packaging [Rathbone + 2021 1st], but I’d be willing to explore this option if by doing so landed us Power or Edvinsson.  

Edited by Patel Bure

Trading the 1st overall pick almost never happens and moving up from 9th overall to 1st would be historic.

I can only remember two trades involving the 1st overall pick happening on draft day. In 2003 Pittsburgh moved up from picking 3rd to picking 1st overall in a trade with Florida. Pittsburgh selected Marc-Andre Fleury with that pick.

Florida Panthers acquire Date Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif Mikael Samuelsson
2003 1st round pick (#3-Nathan Horton)
2003 2nd round pick (#55-Stefan Meyer)
June 21, 2003
2003 1st round pick (#1-Marc-Andre Fleury)
2003 3rd round pick (#73-Daniel Carcillo)
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif

The other one was 1999 when Burke swung the deals to get the Sedins and that one was very complicated.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 1999 1st round pick (#4-Pavel Brendl)
June 25, 1999
Bryan McCabe
2000 or 2001 1st round pick (2000 #11-Pavel Vorobiev)
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Atlanta Thrashers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 1999 1st round pick (#2-Daniel Sedin)
2000 conditional 3rd round pick (#67-Max Birbraer)
June 25, 1999
1999 1st round pick (#1-Patrik Stefan) Atlanta_Thrashers.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 1999 1st round pick (#1-Patrik Stefan)
June 26, 1999
1999 1st round pick (#4-Pavel Brendl)
1999 3rd round pick (#75-Brett Scheffelmaier)
1999 3rd round pick (#88-Jimmie Olvestad)

• Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol no team is trading away a 1st overall pick unless it is for eichel or mcdavid or draistial

I wouldn't put Eichel in there...

McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisatl... that's the 3 worth a 1OA right now.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  I was just referring to the 4 players that were mentioned.  McDavid would be starting at 3 #1 OA picks PLUS a top 6 player PLUS a top prospect.  

U imagine if we gave up petterson for this years 1OA and thats it, id be livid.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

For this year yes.  But Pettersson was basically like a #1 OA pick when we drafted him.

Well yeah but i wouldnt take a chance of getting a guy like petey in this years draft. Lots of really good players but not banking on a talent like petey or other 1OA talents. Bedard well yeah u gotta think about that one

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  I was just referring to the 4 players that were mentioned.  McDavid would be starting at 3 #1 OA picks PLUS a top 6 player PLUS a top prospect.  

Edmonton would be insane to trade McDavid. Without him, they're a lottery team all over again. 

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

U imagine if we gave up petterson for this years 1OA and thats it, id be livid.

We're not trading Pettersson for a draft pick. We already put millions of development dollars into him, whether it be video, conditioning, weight-lifting, dieting, skating and the list goes on. Teams do not trade guys they've invested into for a draft pick that they're going to have to invest even more money into. It makes no sense business wise. That's why teams don't trade young players for draft picks, they trade older players for draft picks to teams that need help to make the playoffs. Once the team that acquires the rental makes the playoffs, they make money off of TV revenue, tickets, jerseys, endorsements and so on, which makes trading the draft pick worthwhile financially. That's what this game is about, dollars and cents. If you look at the dollars and the cents, it would be a foolhardy endeavor to trade Pettersson instead of doubling down on the investment especially after we won a playoff round last year. Ownership would like to win a championship, but if we make the playoffs frequently enough ownership is not going to lose any sleep over not winning the cup as long as the team is making money.