• Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7
    • Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2021 at 11:30 PM

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lots. But during the playoffs, they probably waited until after the game.

I still remember seeing footage of Guy Lafleur having a smoke between periods....Scotty wouldn't let them smoke in the dressing room, so Lafleur and some of the other players would step out of the locker room for a puff....:lol:

Wow, just nuts, although I seem to recall someone (maybe you) mentioning Lafleur's smoking before.  Hard to imagine, but then a buddy of mine would hit a homer in slo-pitch, then light up as soon as he sat down.

I remember having a beer , maybe 2, before a ball hockey game years ago.  In the old Arenex building in New West, so not a full rink by any stretch, and it nearly killed me.  I was sucking wind the whole game.  And this was long before I got old and a bit chubby.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Lots. But during the playoffs, they probably waited until after the game.

I still remember seeing footage of Guy Lafleur having a smoke between periods....Scotty wouldn't let them smoke in the dressing room, so Lafleur and some of the other players would step out of the locker room for a puff....:lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Lafleur ducked into the tunnel for a smoke between shifts.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Wow, just nuts, although I seem to recall someone (maybe you) mentioning Lafleur's smoking before.  Hard to imagine, but then a buddy of mine would hit a homer in slo-pitch, then light up as soon as he sat down.

I remember having a beer , maybe 2, before a ball hockey game years ago.  In the old Arenex building in New West, so not a full rink by any stretch, and it nearly killed me.  I was sucking wind the whole game.  And this was long before I got old and a bit chubby.

I played "serious" hockey up to age 19....

After that all of my sports (hockey, football, baseball) were beer league and the emphasis was on "beer"....and yes, I'm 20-30 lbs overweight as well....

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

And could still outskate so many out there.

Yeah, it was a level playing field back then. Everyone was doing more or less the same thing, so no-one had an advantage in the conditioning department.

Players used to treat training camp as the time to get in shape....now, you'd better be in shape before you get to camp, or you'd be cut PDQ...

• Cheers 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I played "serious" hockey up to age 19....

After that all of my sports (hockey, football, baseball) were beer league and the emphasis was on "beer"....and yes, I'm 20-30 lbs overweight as well....

When I lived on the Island, my roommate would take his beer with him on the way up to the plate, put it on the plate, hit the ball and pick it up n run.  I guess that's good incentive to make sure you hit the ball and not allow a slo-pitch strike to knock it over!

Ahhhh, beer leagues!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Lafleur ducked into the tunnel for a smoke between shifts.

Nothing would really surprise me about that era....

You hear stories about pre-game meals being gigantic Porterhouse steaks, because they thought they needed the protein....

14 minutes ago, Kragar said:

When I lived on the Island, my roommate would take his beer with him on the way up to the plate, put it on the plate, hit the ball and pick it up n run.  I guess that's good incentive to make sure you hit the ball and not allow a slo-pitch strike to knock it over!

Ahhhh, beer leagues!

Indeed.  The worst is when the pitcher decides to go with bottles instead of cans and a line drive is hit in his direction.

• Haha 1

People should slap themselves in the face if they think EP40 is better than Barzal. Its been fun watching this series, but damn, the Isles are basically being carried by Barzal and Varlamov. I just wanted to add that Evan Bouchard (Oilers) absolutely sucks balls in comparison to Noah Dobson. Dobson plays like a young Edler when he was good

Edited by filthycanuck

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Didnt Al Iafrate used to actually smoke on the bench? I thought it was him, could be wrong.

I remember Iafrate just launched a bomb on Troy Gamble (Kirk had the night off). Gamble didn't even move and the puck was in the back of the net. McCinnis and Iafrate;s shots, if they were using todays composites sticks, would be pushing 115 MPH

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Just like Mario! Mario smoked, played video games, ate chicken wings, didn't give a crap whatsoever about his diet or workout routine and he was the 2nd and many nights the best player in the planet

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I remember Iafrate just launched a bomb on Troy Gamble (Kirk had the night off). Gamble didn't even move and the puck was in the back of the net. McCinnis and Iafrate;s shots, if they were using todays composites sticks, would be pushing 115 MPH

Al's "greatest hit" is still the time he shot the puck into the corner, instead of into the empty net.....when asked he said "Empty net goals are for _____." (a homophobic slur)