The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moves Benning should be aggressive on (Proposals/Discussion) Revised!

Move #1

Vancouver should go after Colorado's Ryan Graves who will be the 4th Dman and will not be protected at the Expansion Draft

Cost? Minni 2021-2nd + Jasek ? or a 3rd?

Move #2

Vancouver should take Martin Jones @50% for a flip of our 2021-1st (we move up 2 spots), a 2022-2nd, and San Jose's 2021-3rd

Jones is then kept as our cheap back 

Move #3

Schmidt to Ottawa for  Ottawa's 2021-2nd, and San Jose 2021-2nd

Move #4

Vancouver's 2023 1st for Dumba and 2021-2nd.

Dumba is Minnesota's #4 Dman at the Expansion draft, and will loose him. This way, they gain. We replace Schmidt and gain a 2nd

Move #5

Juolevi for Schnieder (NYR)

This is a lateral move that I hate, but with the addition of Graves, we are heavy on the LHD and this move allows us to add a solid prospect on the RHD side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So where are we at after all this?

LW                      C                         RW                         LHD                      RHD                     G                  LTIR              Buyouts         Penalty         Traded/Void

Miller              Pettersson             Boeser                  Graves                 Hughes                Demko          Ferland           Eriksson         Luongo           Virtanen

Pearson            Horvat                 Hoglander             Rathbone             Dumba                 Jones            Beagle            Roussel

Motte                  Lind                    Podkolzin              Edler                   Schnieder                                                            Holtby

Highmore         McEwen               Hawryluk                                             Myers

11 M                   14M                          9M                       8M                       20M                      7.5M                  0                  6..5M                3M               Cap: 79 M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holtby Buyout                                    Eriksson Buyout                           Roussel Buyout

Year 1.......$500,000                            Year 1......$4,000,000                     Year 1.......$1,750,000

Year 2....$1,900,000                            Year 2......$1,000,000                     Year 2.........$600,000

So, with a Cap Budget of approx. $74,000,000, there will certainly be room for some UFA's, which will make us a much more competitive team. (7.5 Cap room). Certainly an up grade at 3rd line LW and C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But just as important, we get younger, and stronger. We stock our cupboards more for the future, ad allows us to grow. It also shows, exactly how silly it is, to say we are up against the cap, is hogwash! Every GM has the ability to move cap, and make moves. Is this going to happen? probably not, but a version of it will. But for fun, indulge me!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2021 Draft................                                                                                                      

2021 1st 7th OA (flipped with San Jose)  .....With this pick we take C/LW McTavish who has a great shot, a solid defensive game, and plays a rough, physical game 

2021 2nd 39th OA (acquired from SJ) ..........With this pick we take Swedish LW William Stromgren 6'3" 175 lbs, who's speed, agility and size, make him a solid proto-typical winger                                                                     

2021 2nd 41st OA (Vancouver).................... Now, that everyone has brought out pitchforks, we pick American RHD Scott Morrow 6'2" 198 lbs, fast, agile, offensive Dman                                                                                      

2021 2nd 42nd OA ( Ottawa).........................With this pick we take Canadian RHD Logan Mailloux 6'3" 214 lbs, Did not play hockey this year, and will drop...into our lap

2021-3rd  69th OA (San Jose).......................With this pick we take Canadian RHD Jack Bar 6'3" 192 lbs, Fiesty, Aggressive, fast skating, with offense, and sound Defense

2021 3rd 71st OA (Vancouver)......................With this pick we take Canadian G Tristian Lennox 6'3" 198 lbs. Athletic goalie, played OHL, and has not played in a year, and has dropped

There is no one that would not say that this would be a great draft, and the Canucks have hedged their bets, with some outstanding picks. Walking away from the 1st round with McTavish, who could start as the 1st line LWer, and end up as the 2nd or 3rd line center sometime in his career, has Benning grinning from ear to ear...................................................................................

you could hear Benning saying "I can't believe he fell to us!" Benning slept good that night!

Well, if the first day made Benning happy, the second day was almost too much to take, and he could be seen leaving the draft with a sh#t house smile on his face, as it was too good to be true!

With the 2022 draft 1 year away, you Benning could hear Benning also saying! "Let the season begin!" 

2022-1st (Vancouver)

2022-2nd (San Jose)

2022-2nd (Vancouver)

Oh yeah Baby!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

I like some of them a lot.

Graves would be a nice one for sure. Theres our replacement for edler(thank god). Young and big which would fit in nicely.

Definitely a yes for martin jones @50% and picks what a steal that would be. 

The schmidt and Dumba suggestions im not in board for. If we gonna get rid of schmidt and a 2023 1st id rather look for a better dman than dumba. Yeah a second from ottawa would be nice but for that package i believe we can get a better dman. 

Juolevi for Schnieder is fine by me. 

And we both know buffalo would never trade cozens for miller lol i see why its a good plan but I think id rather stick with miller for now.

We dont  have to worry about Bo for a long time. We can find his replacement later on.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I like some of them a lot.

Graves would be a nice one for sure. Theres our replacement for edler(thank god). Young and big which would fit in nicely.

Definitely a yes for martin jones @50% and picks what a steal that would be. 

The schmidt and Dumba suggestions im not in board for. If we gonna get rid of schmidt and a 2023 1st id rather look for a better dman than dumba. Yeah a second from ottawa would be nice but for that package i believe we can get a better dman. 

Juolevi for Schnieder is fine by me. 

And we both know buffalo would never trade cozens for miller lol i see why its a good plan but I think id rather stick with miller for now.

We dont  have to worry about Bo for a long time. We can find his replacement later on.

I feel sorry for old Buffalo right now........

No one is going to give them value for Eichel.......not with his injury

He's an injured, disgruntled elite center..............any GM thinking about has to explain to the owner that this injury is a one off.............it's not, and it would be stupid to say so.

The guy would never work again, if he was wrong

So my thought was to surround him with some veteran talent...aka Miller

But the truth is they have Skinner and Oka what ever, just killing their cap

So, IMO they are stuck. ........the best thing they could do is get Skinner going

or trade him with assets........lots, and lots of assets

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I feel sorry for old Buffalo right now........

No one is going to give them value for Eichel.......not with his injury

He's an injured, disgruntled elite center..............any GM thinking about has to explain to the owner that this injury is a one off.............it's not, and it would be stupid to say so.

The guy would never work again, if he was wrong

So my thought was to surround him with some veteran talent...aka Miller

But the truth is they have Skinner and Oka what ever, just killing their cap

Si, IMO they are stuck. ........the best thing they could do is get Skinner going

or trade him with assets........lots, and lots of assets

Yeah i feel for buffalo fans as well. They did get some real good players thru the draft but absolutely nothing is working out. Maybe they go off the board this year and take the goalie wallstead early this time around.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah i feel for buffalo fans as well. They did get some real good players thru the draft but absolutely nothing is working out. Maybe they go off the board this year and take the goalie wallstead early this time around.

Why?

They would be way better off, Trading Eichel and Reinhart, with Skinner and Okposo and cleaning house

Keep Dahlin and Cozens, and their 1st and 2nd and starting from scratch.

Skinner has 6 more years at $9,000,000

Okposo has 2 more years at $6,000,000

Eichel and Skinner           for               2023 - 1st, and futures

Reinhart and Okposo       for               2023 - 1st

They stay at the bottom for 3 years, with a low cap, then come out with the possibility of Wright and one on Bedard, and that Russian.....or darn close

But they have to get someone in there to manage properly................

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Why?

They would be way better off, Trading Eichel and Reinhart, with Skinner and Okposo and cleaning house

They stay at the bottom for 3 years, with a low cap, then come out with the possibility of Wright and one on Bedard, and that Russian.....or darn close

If BUF can stomach another rebuild.  That would be the best approach.  Ditto on clearing out management.  Start all fresh.

Grab as much 1st (especially 2023) and 2nd in the next 2-3 years to speed up the rebuild.  Get B prospects (from trading other vets) as well to add depth to the organization. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Why?

Who can afford it tho or even want it if you ask me. Eichel and skinner is adding 19 mill in cap and skinner has been so awful while eichel who knows whats going on with that neck. That will be a hard sell and adding okoposo is pretty much like adding a luoi erikkson lol

makes sense to build around cozens and dahlen but i they have no chance dumping skinner and okoposo on anyone.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Who can afford it tho or even want it if you ask me. Eichel and skinner is adding 19 mill in cap and skinner has been so awful while eichel who knows whats going on with that neck. That will be a hard sell and adding okoposo is pretty much like adding a luoi erikkson lol

makes sense to build around cozens and dahlen but i they have no chance dumping skinner and okoposo on anyone.

Funny story

I made a proposal regarding getting rid of Skinner, and they laughed me out 6 months ago....said he was a good winger, and just wasn't getting a chance on the 1st line....lol

Well we know how that turned out

So I made a proposal........3 way........Skinner @50%, Reinhart, 2021 1st, a 2nd and Ristolainen.........it was  a high cost because even at a buyout 50% was valued at 20 million

they threw pitch forks at me....lol

But what is 20 million worth?......Eichel, and you would be bloody lucky to get a first back, IMO....so that's the end of that....lol

It's Buffalo....lol.......The Bills were losers for ever, so good luck with that, I guess

I'd also look to take Jost from COL. He played PK this year and played tough minutes. He has really learned the defensive side of the game and is fast and skilled. Exactly what Benning said he is after. Speed and skill.

Mason Appleton is another player I'd look for. Looks like the odd man out in WPG ED process. He's a RW with speed and skill and can put up decent points, I think there is more to give still with him maybe even playing into the top6. He played on the 3rd line with Lowry in a shutdown role and did a great job against EDM. Again, Benning said speed and skill.

I'd look to target these players as they fit with our core. Jost is 23 I believe and Appleton is 25. No more UFA's PLEASE. 

For Jost I'd give up a second and a prospect (one they don't have to protect)

Appleton I'd also give up a second rounder for.

Difference is yes you are giving up 2nd round picks but these are young, established NHL players with UPSIDE.  You aren't giving up a 2nd rounder for Linden Vey or a rental (Toffoli). These players will be part of the core going forward.

Id love a third line of 

Hoglander-Jost-Appleton

Speed, skill, and all can play defense

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I'd also look to take Jost from COL. He played PK this year and played tough minutes. He has really learned the defensive side of the game and is fast and skilled. Exactly what Benning said he is after. Speed and skill.

Mason Appleton is another player I'd look for. Looks like the odd man out in WPG ED process. He's a RW with speed and skill and can put up decent points, I think there is more to give still with him maybe even playing into the top6. He played on the 3rd line with Lowry in a shutdown role and did a great job against EDM. Again, Benning said speed and skill.

I'd look to target these players as they fit with our core. Jost is 23 I believe and Appleton is 25. No more UFA's PLEASE. 

For Jost I'd give up a second and a prospect (one they don't have to protect)

Appleton I'd also give up a second rounder for.

Difference is yes you are giving up 2nd round picks but these are young, established NHL players with UPSIDE.  You aren't giving up a 2nd rounder for Linden Vey or a rental (Toffoli). These players will be part of the core going forward.

Id love a third line of 

Hoglander-Jost-Appleton

Speed, skill, and all can play defense

That sounds real good to me. I actually made a appleton thread the other day and would be ecstatic if JB could find a way to get him. I feel like the jets are really high on him and the kid has a killer contract for now so it will be hard to get him.

Jost is interesting. Was a high draft pick for them but im pretty sure hes another one that would be difficult to acquire. Not getting the points they were probably hoping out of him but when u stuck on a team like colorado its not surprising.

2 great suggestions imo but id keep hoglander with Bo and he will only get better being on that line and have podkolzin with appleton and jost. Podz is known for his 2 way game so it might even be a better fit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Funny story

I made a proposal regarding getting rid of Skinner, and they laughed me out 6 months ago....said he was a good winger, and just wasn't getting a chance on the 1st line....lol

Well we know how that turned out

So I made a proposal........3 way........Skinner @50%, Reinhart, 2021 1st, a 2nd and Ristolainen.........it was  a high cost because even at a buyout 50% was valued at 20 million

they threw pitch forks at me....lol

But what is 20 million worth?......Eichel, and you would be bloody lucky to get a first back, IMO....so that's the end of that....lol

It's Buffalo....lol.......The Bills were losers for ever, so good luck with that, I guess

Question about jones. If SJ retains @50% does that mean we split the cap hit?

1) Yes to the Graves and Schneider deals! (Although I doubt NYR does this).

2) Keep both Miller and Schmidt as their relatively low cap hits and veteran presence will come in extremely handy in 22-23.  Trust me on this. 

3) I think the Canucks are banking on Dipietro as their back up of the future.  It’s why Ian Clark worked so closely and intensely with Dipietro this season.   

4) Dumba would likely cost us the 2021 1st +

Canucks will be looking to join the elite ranks starting in 22-23 and so moving Miller and/or Schmidt goes against that.  These two players were brought in for this specific reason.  Don’t let the media fool you.  This was the plan all along.  

Its official.  Janis should become AGM to JB.   Your brain is large and sees a lot of macro and micro variables.

As the great Captian James Tibberous Kirk used to say - "Make it So".    

This is one heck of a mind f!ck.   My favourite part happens to be the Miller trade.   Well done.   Not crazy about Dumba, but like the extra picks and don't feel many of these trades are out of line.   Dumba would help out R side.   A little.   The picks could help a lot. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Its official.  Janis should become AGM to JB.   Your brain is large and sees a lot of macro and micro variables.

As the great Captian James Tibberous Kirk used to say - "Make it So".    

This is one heck of a mind f!ck.   My favourite part happens to be the Miller trade.   Well done.   Not crazy about Dumba, but like the extra picks and don't feel many of these trades are out of line.   Dumba would help out R side.   A little.   The picks could help a lot. 

I agree janis for GM

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Jost is interesting. Was a high draft pick for them but im pretty sure hes another one that would be difficult to acquire. Not getting the points they were probably hoping out of him but when u stuck on a team like colorado its not surprising.

I think Colorado will stick with the younger cheaper guys in Jost and Newhook and could very well look to deal Kadri prior to the expansion draft. I would not be opposed to Kadri, lots of untimely suspensions on his part but for under 5m to provide decent scoring might be worth it if he comes cheap. Would allow us to have JT, Bo and Kadri as C's keeping lanky Pete on the wing.

Kadri has 1 year left at 4.5m with a M-NTC, could flip him next deadline with retention for likely a better return than what we may have to give up for him this off season.

Petey Miller Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Kadri Lind/Motte/Roussel

Not a bad top 9 next season above, would need to pay a team to take a contract off our hands to make it work or we do multiple buyouts which seems very unlikely to me as it just gives us more dead cap spread over more seasons

• Cheers 1