The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Russian?

Rate this topic

dr.naughtypants

8 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

I am sure Vasilli will have No problems on the ice or with his teammates Most seem to be have good character . Hopefully  B.C. will be back to more of a somewhat normal state . So many wonderful things to do and places to go for a young man new to this country . Stuff away from the rink . I still laugh and think about how we thought about Russian Hockey players before and after the 72 Can/Russia Hockey series [ i was just a little kid but we did have to beat the robots from Russia ]

All that being said if they are trading for someone new and all other things being about equal I definitely would not be opposed to adding another Russian player . Remember just because they would both be Russian there is nothing to say they would get along , surprises me how often people just assume they would  . I don't like one of my neighbors and we're from the same Country OK OK I am not really sure he is from this planet 

Yes, my French friend hates being introduced to other people from France....  same goes with a South African that I know.  

However when you are brand new to the country it really does help having a friend or someone to talk to and ask questions.  

On 5/28/2021 at 1:52 AM, iinatcc said:

honestly I think we just keep highlight a few like Alexander Semin but I really don't think the ratio is different from any other nationalities. Maybe it just feels that way because the league has fewer Russian players than Canadian or American ones.

Or maybe the media has a way of vilifying Russians like how the media and some folks treated Ovi. 

I just love, love, love, Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk & Igor Larionov!

And - speaking as a Finnish/Canadian who’s had some cultural/heritage suspicions of those cross/border folks in Russia…some of my ‘favorite’ people are still transplanted-Russians.

Sure, the Russian community in NY & in some other big North American cities is far bigger that the one developing here in VanCity, but our transplanted-Russian community is definitely growing! 

That’s all one really needs to cure the home sickness that develops from time to time, is to attend an event at a thriving cultural centre to express some robust ethic pride!  

Canadians generally encourage & celebrate diversity, so coming to Vancouver-Canada, over almost any other NHL offering, will be a positive experience for Podkolzin, unlike it was for Tryamkin who chose to shut himself up inside & wouldn’t go out there that much to look around for anything.

I do believe that Podkolzin could use some life-coaching/mentoring by veteran peers or someone he really connects with - because coming into a lot of lucrative money when alone & single in a strange new city, presents its own set of challenges, to be sure. 

Welcome to VanCity, Vasili! 

Edited by viking mama

• 2 years later...