The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Central Scouting Final 2021 Rankings

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, it's interesting, when was the last time we saw a 1st round draft class where the whole draft class has played this few of games?

I've said in a few threads, unless we win the lottery, I would be open to the idea of trading our first this year if we can immediately make the team better.

There has been so little ability to gauge where these kids are in their development, there's really not the book of play experience that you can use to guide your decision this year.

It's always nice to have the shiny new prospect and the promise of what he could become, but I won't be disappointed if we did another deal with Tampa or another team who is going to have trouble getting under the cap, to take a player who can help push us back into the playoffs next season.

I think there's going to be a lot of surprises a couple of years from now, I think we'll see a much higher percentage of guys in the 2nd and 3rd round, develop into valuable players, who were passed over in the first round due to lack of exposure in game situations. 

I disagree Vegas

The U18's provided a look and these players for the most part played against others that can be gauged against them, so maybe not perfect, but I think the important guys have been ranked properly!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yup.....I been honking McTavish's horn for awhile...............so many intangibles

But overall..............that is like........Power, McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Edvinsson, and Wallstadt

Someone top 8 is taking Wallstadt, maybe even Cossa???? In a weak draft, this might be the year to take him......Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, LA all need one!

My bet is Edvinsson is there for us

Man................I want, I want, I want! ...........1)Clarke, 2)McTavish,3)Beniers, 4)Eklund, 5)Johnson, 6)Guenther, 7)Hughes, Edvinsson, then Power

Honorable list..........Lysell, Svechkov, Sillinger, Raty

I am not hot on Power or Edvinsson, but they will both go high.....I just don't want them

I'm resigned to the fact that we will pick at 9,10, or 11.  We will get an excellent prospect with whichever slot we go in.

Question RE: the lottery:  i thought they changed it so teams could only move up 10 slots?  Why does anyone below Ottawa have odds of picking 1st?

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I disagree Vegas

The U18's provided a look and these players for the most part played against others that can be gauged against them, so maybe not perfect, but I think the important guys have been ranked properly!

Time will tell, I'll be happy either way, I just feel that when you're looking at guys who have only played between 12 - 30 games in a season, it's harder to really get a feeling for their true ability. Are they streaky, how is their endurance, etc.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

I'm resigned to the fact that we will pick at 9,10, or 11.  We will get an excellent prospect with whichever slot we go in.

Question RE: the lottery:  i thought they changed it so teams could only move up 10 slots?  Why does anyone below Ottawa have odds of picking 1st?

I think the only drop 10 spots starts next season

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

pretty sure you are right on the 10 spots

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

The NHL is instituting changes to the draft lottery that make it more difficult for the last-place team to drop out of the top three in the selection order. Beginning with the 2021 draft, only the first two picks will be subject to the lottery instead of the top three, and no team can move up more than 10 picks.Mar. 23, 2021

This one is somewhat different.

Two other changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots if it wins one of the lottery draws.

-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total

Edited by Rick Blight

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, it's interesting, when was the last time we saw a 1st round draft class where the whole draft class has played this few of games?

I've said in a few threads, unless we win the lottery, I would be open to the idea of trading our first this year if we can immediately make the team better.

There has been so little ability to gauge where these kids are in their development, there's really not the book of play experience that you can use to guide your decision this year.

It's always nice to have the shiny new prospect and the promise of what he could become, but I won't be disappointed if we did another deal with Tampa or another team who is going to have trouble getting under the cap, to take a player who can help push us back into the playoffs next season.

I think there's going to be a lot of surprises a couple of years from now, I think we'll see a much higher percentage of guys in the 2nd and 3rd round, develop into valuable players, who were passed over in the first round due to lack of exposure in game situations. 

Craig Button .... is that you?

On the radio saying Loui and our 1st, in a trade for a player for our top 6 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

it's ridiculous.  The lottery should b the three worst teams only.  No more of this jumping the que, it's stupid

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's NA skaters though. 

Still means he would likely be taken before our pick if these rankings hold any weight.

I think that would be pretty shocking considering he hasn’t even been on the radar for top 10 till recently.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still means he would likely be taken before our pick if these rankings hold any weight.

I think that would be pretty shocking considering he hasn’t even been on the radar for top 10 till recently.

I'm fine with that.  I hope he is gone because then a good dman (Clarke) or (fingers crossed) Eklund drops to Van.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I've been so out of the loop with the draft class this year. 

My understanding is that its pretty weak as in there is no clear-cut dominant number 1 pick/player? 

It seems like the media is all focused on Bedard. 

This is a pretty bad take, given your lack of knowledge on this draft.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm fine with that.  I hope he is gone because then a good dman (Clarke) or (fingers crossed) Eklund drops to Van.

Absolutely.

A guy like him, Raty, Guenther, or Wallstedt going high only increase those chances.

• Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

A guy like him, Raty, Guenther, or Wallstedt going high only increase those chances.

I think if Van won one of the two lottery spots, I'd still be pulling for Eklund.