The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Central Scouting Final 2021 Rankings

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Really hope we dont drop to 10, I think there is drop of after 9 not including goalies. If we drop to 10 and the top 9 are gone, grab Wallstedt. 

^ this is what I'd want as well. I know a lot of people are not keen on goalies in the 1st round but the recent history is pretty good:

2020: Askarov at 11 - small sample size in KHL but great numbers

2019 Knight at 13 - did very well

2017- Oettinger at 26 - solid showing in Dallas

Its been a long time since Rick DiPetro. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^ this is what I'd want as well. I know a lot of people are not keen on goalies in the 1st round but the recent history is pretty good:

We dont have enough skilled forwards in the system thats the issue for me. Why get a goalie this year when demko hasnt even started his new 5 yr deal yet. What if we draft a eklund and in 2 years miller leaves via UFA. Wouldnt it be better to have a deeper talented rookie be ready at that time to take his spot?

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah worth the risk for a Vezina caliber goaltender. 

Tiers

1:

Power

Beniers

Clarke

Hughes

Eklund

2:

Edvinsson 

Johnson

McTavish

Guenther

Wallstedt

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah worth the risk for a Vezina caliber goaltender. 

Tiers

1:

Power

Beniers

Clarke

Hughes

Eklund

2:

Edvinsson 

Johnson

McTavish

Guenther

Wallstedt

I think Guenther belongs in the first tier and I think room should be made for Cole Sillinger in tier 2. Sillinger, however, isn't necessarily better than anyone on that list but I'd say he's equal to Johnson and McTavish in terms of potential. 

The four players I want available by pick #9 are Edvinsson, Guenther, Johnson or Clarke. We get one of these four guys and pick BPA for the rest of the draft I'm confident we'll snag 1-3 players who will be NHL ready over the next three years. Next year's draft is also exciting, with talents like Brad Lambert, Matthew Savoie, Juraj Slafkovsky, Shane Wright, Rutger McGroarty and Logan Cooley, most of whom are centers. We score a pick between 6-14 next year, we'll get another top 4 defender or top six forward in the first round. Let's say we get Edvinsson in 2021 and Slafkvosky in 2022, all of a sudden we're back on the road as a powerhouse. By the 2022 NHL Draft, which will likely be in June, it might make sense for ownership to bring in a guy with the same ideas that ex-GM Mike Gillis had. Whoever that GM is, maybe it's Tulsky in Carolina or Gilman in Toronto who come here and finish what JB started. We'll be a powerhouse in no time. 

If you don't believe me, just take a look:

SLAFKOVSKY PETTERSSON HOGLANDER

MILLER HORVAT BOESER 

PEARSON LIND PODKOLZIN

MOTTE 4C LOCKWOOD

HUGHES SCHMIDT(MINUTE MUNCHERS)

RATHBONE/JUOLEVI WOO(SHUTDOWN PAIRING)

EDVINSSON/RATHBONE MYERS/EDVINSSON (TWO BIG MEN, OFFENSE) 

DEMKO

BACKUP

17 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I think Guenther belongs in the first tier and I think room should be made for Cole Sillinger in tier 2. Sillinger, however, isn't necessarily better than anyone on that list but I'd say he's equal to Johnson and McTavish in terms of potential. 

The four players I want available by pick #9 are Edvinsson, Guenther, Johnson or Clarke. We get one of these four guys and pick BPA for the rest of the draft I'm confident we'll snag 1-3 players who will be NHL ready over the next three years. Next year's draft is also exciting, with talents like Brad Lambert, Matthew Savoie, Juraj Slafkovsky, Shane Wright, Rutger McGroarty and Logan Cooley, most of whom are centers. We score a pick between 6-14 next year, we'll get another top 4 defender or top six forward in the first round. Let's say we get Edvinsson in 2021 and Slafkvosky in 2022, all of a sudden we're back on the road as a powerhouse. By the 2022 NHL Draft, which will likely be in June, it might make sense for ownership to bring in a guy with the same ideas that ex-GM Mike Gillis had. Whoever that GM is, maybe it's Tulsky in Carolina or Gilman in Toronto who come here and finish what JB started. We'll be a powerhouse in no time. 

If you don't believe me, just take a look:

SLAFKOVSKY PETTERSSON HOGLANDER

MILLER HORVAT BOESER 

PEARSON LIND PODKOLZIN

MOTTE 4C LOCKWOOD

HUGHES SCHMIDT(MINUTE MUNCHERS)

RATHBONE/JUOLEVI WOO(SHUTDOWN PAIRING)

EDVINSSON/RATHBONE MYERS/EDVINSSON (TWO BIG MEN, OFFENSE) 

DEMKO

BACKUP

I have Sillinger the next tier down from McTavish and Guether, to me he doesn't have the same game breaking ability. I couldn't find one creditable ranking that has him in the top 10 either.  I have him in the 11-15 tiers with guys like:

Lucius

Sillinger

Lysell

Ceulemans

Raty 

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We dont have enough skilled forwards in the system thats the issue for me. Why get a goalie this year when demko hasnt even started his new 5 yr deal yet. What if we draft a eklund and in 2 years miller leaves via UFA. Wouldnt it be better to have a deeper talented rookie be ready at that time to take his spot?

Easier to trade for a skilled winger than a franchise goalie, I would only take Wallstedt if we are picking 9 or 10th and guys like Eklund are off the table. 

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yup.....I been honking McTavish's horn for awhile...............so many intangibles

But overall..............that is like........Power, McTavish, Johnson, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, Clarke, Eklund, Edvinsson, and Wallstadt

Someone top 8 is taking Wallstadt, maybe even Cossa???? In a weak draft, this might be the year to take him......Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, LA all need one!

My bet is Edvinsson is there for us

Man................I want, I want, I want! ...........1)Clarke, 2)McTavish,3)Beniers, 4)Eklund, 5)Johnson, 6)Guenther, 7)Hughes, Edvinsson, then Power

Honorable list..........Lysell, Svechkov, Sillinger, Raty, Rosen

I am not hot on Power or Edvinsson, but they will both go high.....I just don't want them

So basically it's a Power or Edvinsson, who needs them? scenario

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Love theboutliers, but what about the flops aside from rick

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I have Sillinger the next tier down from McTavish and Guether, to me he doesn't have the same game breaking ability. I couldn't find one creditable ranking that has him in the top 10 either.  I have him in the 11-15 tiers with guys like:

Lucius

Sillinger

Lysell

Ceulemans

Raty 

Skating is his problem same with lucius. If they can fix it, then they offer the biggest value

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

goalies, even the best ones, take 3-4 years to develop. So thats one reason. The other one is certainty around who's BPA at that 10-11 spot. There's been a ton of scouting on Wallstedt so unlike a lot of other Fs in the draft we know a lot about where his development is at. 

So by the time Wallstedt would be ready, Demko's probably on his last year. If it turns out we have two prime starters on our hands we can trade for that F replacement then.

I just don't see a kid like Sillinger, e.g., taking over from Miller in 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Isam said:

Love theboutliers, but what about the flops aside from rick

So far Askarov, Knight and Oettinger aren't looking like flops. Time will tell but there's a lot of risk in this draft all over. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

So basically it's a Power or Edvinsson, who needs them? scenario

just to clarify

the list I provided was my.........".I want list "

Both Power and Edvinsson will go high..........I just don't want them

Edited by janisahockeynut

6 hours ago, stawns said:

it's ridiculous.  The lottery should b the three worst teams only.  No more of this jumping the que, it's stupid

the lottery is ridiculous

just another example of the NHL not fixixng the problem, but makking another one.

A better answer is to block teams from drafting in the same spot (in the top 5) more than once in a 5 year span. 

If you draft 1st one year, you drop out of the top 5 the next year ( but still cannot draft 1st for the next 3 years)

it would rid us of that aweful draft and make tracking the draft more interesting at the end of the regular season

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be a HUGE mistake to draft a G with our 1st round pick.

Canucks committed 5 years and 25M to Demko who is in his mid 20s, then they have Mikey D in the A who is 1 more full  year away from probably being a back up in the NHL if all things go well for him.

Canucks have so many glaring holes in the organization still at RHD, C, RW that we need to address those areas over selecting a G in the top 10.  Most other teams in the top 10 on the other hand...they likely need a young G so they can make that selection. 

JB should get fired on the spot if he takes a G in round 1. Tell me how that improves this teams chances in the next couple years to making the playoffs or going on a run...That's right, there is NO way it helps us!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

It would be a HUGE mistake to draft a G with our 1st round pick.

Canucks committed 5 years and 25M to Demko who is in his mid 20s, then they have Mikey D in the A who is 1 more full  year away from probably being a back up in the NHL if all things go well for him.

Canucks have so many glaring holes in the organization still at RHD, C, RW that we need to address those areas over selecting a G in the top 10.  Most other teams in the top 10 on the other hand...they likely need a young G so they can make that selection. 

JB should get fired on the spot if he takes a G in round 1. Tell me how that improves this teams chances in the next couple years to making the playoffs or going on a run...That's right, there is NO way it helps us!

who do you think in the forwards remaining at 10 or 11 do this? 

17 hours ago, singing chef said:

No love for Cole Sillinger on these boards ?  At 6.0 and 197 lbs has reasonable size, puts up points, and is a C which is something we lack in the pipeline.  Any reason for the lack of interest ?

Yes i agree, I watched him play as a 16 year old very impressive...I am shocked he is ranked between 13- 18th.

So excited to see Benning and group get 2 or 3 good players from this draft...

2019 draft already have Hoglander here at 20 -- Podkolzin 19 now will be even better..

I really like Hoglanders game he is strong on puck 5'10 -195 lbs very fast lots of talent..

Podkolzin 6'2, 215 very gritty and talented .. Hope we sign him soon....#92 Blue you will notice him.....