The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yearbooks recalled, due to Mien kampf

Gurn

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

they have elected officials minimizing the holocaust by comparing it to having to wear masks.  The US clearly has forgotten the lessons of WWII and that's a dangerous thing.

Look at many of the individuals who were against the US joining the allies & their political leanings.  The anti-war movement was VERY strong in the US back in the 40s (isolationist movement) then & they weren't all left wing hippies.  Eg., Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh, etc., 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

45 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Look at many of the individuals who were against the US joining the allies & their political leanings.  The anti-war movement was VERY strong in the US back in the 40s (isolationist movement) then & they weren't all left wing hippies.  Eg., Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh, etc., 

you can't keep a good Nazi down

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the kid learned about it and then to be a jokester and troll people, put it as their favourite book, not necessarily to imply they agreed with it or anything. Teenagers are like that

That kid should be very grateful that the school made the decision to pull the year book then. If it was a joke, then it's the kind of joke that would have followed this kid for the rest of his life. Good luck getting holding a job when your employers find out you made these kinds of statements. 

1 hour ago, taxi said:

That kid should be very grateful that the school made the decision to pull the year book then. If it was a joke, then it's the kind of joke that would have followed this kid for the rest of his life. Good luck getting holding a job when your employers find out you made these kinds of statements. 

LOL? Do you bring your yearbook to your job interviews? WTF? This statement isn't based in any kind of reality and most employers don't give a crap about what you did beyond the past 5 years. It's why a university education means nothing past 30 if a guy with 10 years experience is competing for the same job as a guy with some half meaningless degree and a year at starbucks. I'm hiring the guy with experience every time.

Edited by canuckster19

2 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

LOL? Do you bring your yearbook to your job interviews? WTF? This statement isn't based in any kind of reality and most employers don't give a crap about what you did beyond the past 5 years. It's why a university education means nothing past 30 if a guy with 10 years experience is competing for the same job as a guy with some half meaningless degree and a year at starbucks. I'm hiring the guy with experience every time.

You don't think it would be damaging to someone's career if it came forth that they stated Mein Kampf was their favorite book. The worry is other people making it known to the public or your employers.

Just now, taxi said:

You don't think it would be damaging to someone's career if it came forth that they stated Mein Kampf was their favorite book. The worry is other people making it known to the public or your employers.

No, you said this is going to follow this kid for the rest of his life, there's a difference between some tasteless yearbook joke and ranting like a middle aged hardcore Trump supporter.

One thing I will say about this is I don't particularly like that we make big deals of these things. Especially when people make inapt analogies to the holocaust. What happens 100-200 years from now when all the survivors of world war 2 and veterans of said war are long dead as well as their children and grandchildren. If we're lucky, and I'm not saying this to be insensitive, it will end up as a blip in history that will maybe be something teachers spend a day on like everything else that is 200 years old right now. 

If we're unlucky it will be weaponized in the future as an excuse to commit further acts of ignorance and if completely unlucky further atrocities and counter atrocities. We see it today already with things that happened long ago in the name of identity politics and a constant circle of "my what aboutism isn't whataboutism, what about your whataboutism!". 

Society will never be able to completely learn from the mistakes of it's past if it can't learn to let the past go.

14 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

No, you said this is going to follow this kid for the rest of his life, there's a difference between some tasteless yearbook joke and ranting like a middle aged hardcore Trump supporter.

In the modern world, anything you put in print or that is recorded can easily follow you. Everyone should be aware of that.

5 minutes ago, taxi said:

In the modern world, anything you put in print or that is recorded can easily follow you. Everyone should be aware of that.

And young people should be aware that middle aged people, the ones who hire you and fire you and pay your salaries don't give a s--- about your teenage years, I've had goodie two shoes valedictorians be absolute useless dips--ts while college drop outs be some of my best performers.  

14 minutes ago, taxi said:

Case in point:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56446635

The recently appointed editor of Teen Vogue has said she will no longer join the magazine after a backlash over "racist and homophobic" tweets she wrote in 2011.

Alexi McCammond said she had decided to part ways with Condé Nast, the magazine's publisher.

The publisher had come under pressure from staff who opposed her hiring.

They wrote a scathing letter in which they rejected the sentiments expressed in Ms McCammond's past tweets.

In a statement on Twitter, Ms McCammond said her "past tweets have overshadowed the work I've done to highlight the people and issues that I care about".

"I should not have tweeted what I did and I have taken full responsibility for that," she added.

10 years ago (she would have been 17 or 18)......More in the link.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Its also unfortunate that the term "Nazi" gets used so loosely these days.  People use that term don't really think about what it means.  The Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld didn't really help.  Now the term is used on anyone that restricts someone else from doing something or acquiring something.  

The Kama Sutra would be a joke.

Im trying to think back of when I was that age and I cant imagine anyone would just burst out laughing, and I can't imagine anyone's first impulse would be to grant him/her the excuse of "Oh maybe he/she is just a historian or a psychologist or something, so thats fine" 

Im not sure that warrants nuking the whole thing, but man it would be messed up.

If you want a difficult to accept yet extremely valuable historical lesson then teach your high school students that the Nazis borrowed heavily from Americas own overtly discriminatory practices

Edited by Red Light Racicot

4 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

If we're lucky, and I'm not saying this to be insensitive, it will end up as a blip in history that will maybe be something teachers spend a day on like everything else that is 200 years old right now. 

Not a chance.

WW2 has more movies and video games up to modern day than any other war/event than I can think of.

Because it was so heavy. It's story has already lasted 80years and has references over all sorts of pop culture. So in that sense it wouldn't be 200 years old. 

Won't be forgotten and shouldn't. If it is just a footnote of history in 200 years, then that would mean some atrocities have over shadowed it. Which, the way things are going wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not a chance.

WW2 has more movies and video games up to modern day than any other war/event than I can think of.

Because it was so heavy. It's story has already lasted 80years and has references over all sorts of pop culture. So in that sense it wouldn't be 200 years old. 

Won't be forgotten and shouldn't. If it is just a footnote of history in 200 years, then that would mean some atrocities have over shadowed it. Which, the way things are going wouldn't surprise me. 

I think it will be just another topic in 200 or so years because by then the current generation will have nothing to relate to it.. 

It will be like studying ancient Greece or Rome or learning about other bad times in history.

The only reason it is still fresh and relevant is it has not even been 100 years yet.. and nothing in modern history compares to it remotely. 

But this will only be like that in the western world; in places like Israel or any predominately Jewish areas it will be known for centuries. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Not a chance.

Was it Einstein who said, he wasn’t sure of the weapons that would be used in WWIII, but he was sure WWIV would be fought with sticks and stones?  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Cancel culture at it's best :bored:

Whatever the reasoning was for it, the fact that this society will remove those words written so people can't see it, but will allow the sale of the book so a company can make a profit of it instead as deemed okay.... Society lost.

you are confusing your outrage's. This is censorship, not cancel culture. 

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:49 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

you are confusing your outrage's. This is censorship, not cancel culture. 

How is this censorship? He's not the one making the book.... What's happening is his freedom of speech is being taken away, because a culture doesn't think he should be allowed to like a certain thing, that's cancel culture not censorship. 

It's the same as all these other issues when people write on twitter and then they get fired, that's not censorship :lol:, that's cancel culture because they don't like when someone uses their freedom of speech, and that's exactly what this guy did in his year book.

35 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How is this censorship? He's not the one making the book.... What's happening is his freedom of speech is being taken away, because a culture doesn't think he should be allowed to like a certain thing, that's cancel culture not censorship. 

It's the same as all these other issues when people write on twitter and then they get fired, that's not censorship :lol:, that's cancel culture because they don't like when someone uses their freedom of speech, and that's exactly what this guy did in his year book.

its censorship if you think he has a right to publish what he wants to, i.e. the year book comment. 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its censorship if you think he has a right to publish what he wants to, i.e. the year book comment. 

Publish.... He's not publishing anything, he didn't make the book and he isn't making a book... He's writing a comment using his freedom of speech, just like anyone who writes a comment or post on twitter and is flamed for it, it's cancel culture, not censorship, you're getting the two mixed up here.

Here I'll ask you this question then, do you think Don Cherry was fired because of cancer culture or censorship?  Going by your logic here on this situation you would say it was due to censorship, but curious what you believe regarding Cherry then.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup