The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yearbooks recalled, due to Mien kampf

gurn

On 5/29/2021 at 12:45 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Cancel culture at it's best :bored:

Whatever the reasoning was for it, the fact that this society will remove those words written so people can't see it, but will allow the sale of the book so a company can make a profit of it instead as deemed okay.... Society lost.

Didn’t Trump pass an Anti Semitism law, that would include this student’s comments?   If so, then this would be warranted censorship, and not cancel culture, no?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Publish.... He's not publishing anything, he didn't make the book and he isn't making a book... He's writing a comment using his freedom of speech, just like anyone who writes a comment or post on twitter and is flamed for it, it's cancel culture, not censorship, you're getting the two mixed up here.

Here I'll ask you this question then, do you think Don Cherry was fired because of cancer culture or censorship?  Going by your logic here on this situation you would say it was due to censorship, but curious what you believe regarding Cherry then.

cancel culture is just a made-up term that means different things to different people. Censorship is an actual legal thing. 

Don was fired because he said a stupid thing, and refused to back down. He chose that hill to die on. Its too bad, because he was in the wrong and should have backed off, but he wasn't capable of that. I'd rather hear him than Ron, thats for sure. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Trump pass an Anti Semitism law, that would include this student’s comments?   If so, then this would be warranted censorship, and not cancel culture, no?  

Not sure what Trump did or didn't do to be honest, didn't really follow what he passed as president. But in the states the first amendment actually protects people and their freedom of speech from censorship, hence why I deemed this situation more of a cancer culture because it can't be censorship when it's his freedom of speech, when making a comment. 

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

cancel culture is just a made-up term that means different things to different people. Censorship is an actual legal thing. 

Don was fired because he said a stupid thing, and refused to back down. He chose that hill to die on. Its too bad, because he was in the wrong and should have backed off, but he wasn't capable of that. I'd rather hear him than Ron, thats for sure. 

But what if Don didn't say it vocally and wrote it in a tweet instead... Is there any difference?  You're voicing your opinion whether it's written or said vocally, but because he said it with his mouth and different write it, that's considered cancer culture, but if he wrote it as a comment that would be censorship... 

With this guy in the year book I see it more cancer culture, I could see censorship if he was using inappropriate language that's not PG, but that's not the case he's just referencing a book title with his freedom of speech and not using inappropriate language to do it, this is cancer culture taking away his freedom of speech. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

But what if Don didn't say it vocally and wrote it in a tweet instead... Is there any difference?  You're voicing your opinion whether it's written or said vocally, but because he said it with his mouth and different write it, that's considered cancer culture, but if he wrote it as a comment that would be censorship... 

With this guy in the year book I see it more cancer culture, I could see censorship if he was using inappropriate language that's not PG, but that's not the case he's just referencing a book title with his freedom of speech and not using inappropriate language to do it, this is cancer culture taking away his freedom of speech. 

well yes, written stuff is different. 

Is the kid himself being "cancelled" is some way, or just his dumb yearbook comment? 

The Don stuff, he was an old man with too much pride, that was the real problem imo. He didn't need to single out certain people the way he did and Don should have been the bigger man and made up for it. I don't see that as cancel culture, I see it as a stubborn old dude that should know better. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well yes, written stuff is different. 

Is the kid himself being "cancelled" is some way, or just his dumb yearbook comment? 

The Don stuff, he was an old man with too much pride, that was the real problem imo. He didn't need to single out certain people the way he did and Don should have been the bigger man and made up for it. I don't see that as cancel culture, I see it as a stubborn old dude that should know better. 

Don Cherry is a 87 year old man. He gets emotional over certain issues. In the case of the poppy and whether some Canadians understand what it means or not I sympathize with his take. If you are Canadian you should know what Canada did in WW i, WW2 and Korea. I think that is a responsiblity of citizenship. You don't have to agree with it. IMHO Canada was suckered into WW I and should not have got involved. That's only my opinion. I don't think less of Canadian soldiers who sacrificed so much for me, I honor them. 

Don was branded a racist. I don't think he is but what do I know. On the scale of life I would suggest Don Cherry has done far more good than bad. His support of Canadian troops in the field and his work to raise money for vets far out weighs a moment of indiscretion if that was what it was. He should have had is opportunity to bow out gracefully and wasn't given it after many years of giving. He should have had his day on HNIC when his friends could have gathered and wished him well. He didn't get that and it doesn't sit well with me. I blame MacLean for much of this. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Don Cherry is a 87 year old man. He gets emotional over certain issues. In the case of the poppy and whether some Canadians understand what it means or not I sympathize with his take. If you are Canadian you should know what Canada did in WW i, WW2 and Korea. I think that is a responsiblity of citizenship. You don't have to agree with it. IMHO Canada was suckered into WW I and should not have got involved. That's only my opinion. I don't think less of Canadian soldiers who sacrificed so much for me, I honor them. 

Don was branded a racist. I don't think he is but what do I know. On the scale of life I would suggest Don Cherry has done far more good than bad. His support of Canadian troops in the field and his work to raise money for vets far out weighs a moment of indiscretion if that was what it was. He should have had is opportunity to bow out gracefully and wasn't given it after many years of giving. He should have had his day on HNIC when his friends could have gathered and wished him well. He didn't get that and it doesn't sit well with me. I blame MacLean for much of this. 

I actually agree with all of that, it would have been the right thing to give him that.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1