Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDF: (1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (3) Tampa Bay Lightning | Lightning win series 4-1

Rate this topic


2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I was thinking about picking Aho, but it would have been too obvious.

Just admit that your time machine broke and you couldn't take a peak into the future this time :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to CDF: (1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (3) Tampa Bay Lightning | Lightning lead series 2-1

Watching teams like Lightning, Hurricane and Bruins play, it just seems we are so far from their level. And people say we will be there in like another year.... 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Watching teams like Lightning, Hurricane and Bruins play, it just seems we are so far from their level. And people say we will be there in like another year.... 

COL too.    When Horvat is 29-32,  that's when the current version of this team will be peaking.  It won't even look remotely like the one we have now, almost a completely different D for one.   Much like the peak Sedin teams, compared to the ones when Luongo first came in.    Best thing about our team is the number and quality of young players we currently have.   It's extremely rare to get a guy like QHs and EP come in and make an impact like that playing against the leagues best.    Rare.   BB, Demko and Hogs.  Pod.   Pretty sure one or both of Rathbone and OJ.   The latter will take several years to hone their skills at the NHL level.  

 

So we are looking at three years to enter the window.    Playoff reps do matter at this point, that said just as or even more importantly we need two more killer drafts so these guys have replacements (Miller and Horvat both need them drafted soon), and really to be brutally honest - they need to be drafts where we get two roster players from each time.   One a blue chip core player (or future core player) and one great support core player with upside like Hogs.   

 

Podz and OJ.   If both come in and are top ten NHL rookies we are close to set. Free agency should be enough to fill a couple holes and start a process of many years in a row of playoff reps.   I like that we don't have any top paid players on the team.    EK, Burns and Vlasic sort of things.    Or Draisaitl/McDavid - Eichel/Skinner or AM/Tavares/Marner/Nylander things. 

 

12 million of cap on the sidelines waiting to be infused should provide the balance we need over the next 2-3 years to wrap things up.    If it doesn't work then we need to re-set like COL did with Barrie and Duchene.    That means Horvat/BB/Miller all end up on the trade block.   Doubt this fanbase has the stomach for that but i certainly do.  Want to win a cup.   And be a team like Vegas, COL, TB or CAR.   Boston is close to having to re-tool around Pastrnak. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2021 at 9:47 PM, DeNiro said:

Why are we even watching this farce of a series? The Lightning were always guaranteed to be in the finals.

 

20 mil over the cap? Give me a friggen break!

Yep.   Time the league fixed a couple of things if they truly want this to be a socialist enterprise.   One cap counts come playoffs as well.   That's a farce for sure.   Like watching the 2002 playoffs with Detroit buying a cup-lite. 

 

Hope CAR wins this series.   I don't have much rebuild envy because factually JB so far is within range of creating a better team on average then we should be (all context included).   But i do envy where CAR is at right now.    They paid their dues, 9 years in a row without one playoff, two rebuilds mashed together mostly the second one left.    We've got a long ways to go yet to get to their point, but do have one thing on comparison, for a stretch of three years we had a top NHL pool.   Take that and add five years and wa-la 9/10 times your a playoff team on the rise.    WNP did it. TO did it, CAR did it, EDM never ever had a top pool lol...why they never did it until McJesus and Draisaitl came along and that's just starting.   

 

Don't have a crystal ball but do believe we have a chance to get to where CAR is now in 2-3 years.   Possibly sooner if things go right for us.    If we don't then we will have a new GM (Sedins? lol who knows) who will have to re-set, trade Horvat/BB/Miller or two at least and go the COL route.    

 

It's unfortunate and ugly that when teams have to rebuild it takes as long as it does.    Just the way things are now.    IF you want to contend for a long time, you need so many things to go right.  Trades, signings, drafting et al.   Not sure JB is the right guy to put us over the top, but as long as his drafting is stellar the next two seasons we'd be smarter to keep him on.    We still need that.  

 

Poile had so much shelf live in NSH because he concentrated on D's...JB legacy could end up just like that but more of a well balanced drafter.    Time will tell.   And hope for our sakes, he does it again this draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Time the league fixed a couple of things if they truly want this to be a socialist enterprise.   One cap counts come playoffs as well.   That's a farce for sure.   Like watching the 2002 playoffs with Detroit buying a cup-lite. 

 

Hope CAR wins this series.   I don't have much rebuild envy because factually JB so far is within range of creating a better team on average then we should be (all context included).   But i do envy where CAR is at right now.    They paid their dues, 9 years in a row without one playoff, two rebuilds mashed together mostly the second one left.    We've got a long ways to go yet to get to their point, but do have one thing on comparison, for a stretch of three years we had a top NHL pool.   Take that and add five years and wa-la 9/10 times your a playoff team on the rise.    WNP did it. TO did it, CAR did it, EDM never ever had a top pool lol...why they never did it until McJesus and Draisaitl came along and that's just starting.   

 

Don't have a crystal ball but do believe we have a chance to get to where CAR is now in 2-3 years.   Possibly sooner if things go right for us.    If we don't then we will have a new GM (Sedins? lol who knows) who will have to re-set, trade Horvat/BB/Miller or two at least and go the COL route.    

 

It's unfortunate and ugly that when teams have to rebuild it takes as long as it does.    Just the way things are now.    IF you want to contend for a long time, you need so many things to go right.  Trades, signings, drafting et al.   Not sure JB is the right guy to put us over the top, but as long as his drafting is stellar the next two seasons we'd be smarter to keep him on.    We still need that.  

 

Poile had so much shelf live in NSH because he concentrated on D's...JB legacy could end up just like that but more of a well balanced drafter.    Time will tell.   And hope for our sakes, he does it again this draft. 

I think what they should do is let them not be cap compliant for injuries, for the playoffs, but the lineup you dress must be cap compliant. Kucherov, Stamkos or their equivalent would need to be scratched to dress a compliant lineup.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

I think what they should do is let them not be cap compliant for injuries, for the playoffs, but the lineup you dress must be cap compliant. Kucherov, Stamkos or their equivalent would need to be scratched to dress a compliant lineup.

Yes.   Maybe allow a certain percentage over the cap.   But not close to 15%.   I'd say 5% is fair.   We did it last year too.   But wow what they did "isn't in the spirit of the cap"....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to CDF: (1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (3) Tampa Bay Lightning | Lightning win series 4-1
  • -Vintage Canuck- unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...