The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on donnie and dhali

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 hours ago, Maddogy said:

J.B. is at the very least an average G.M. The problem then is if you fire him, how certain are you that you can find someone better? We've seem a a lot of teams  that go through changes in management and coaching staff and they are still underwhelming. 

People think that if you fire a G.M., someone better will magically show up. If you quit your job, a better job is just around the corner. If you divorce your spouse, your soul mate is waiting at the altar for you. Yes but at what level of certainty?

The risk is, if J.B. is fired they may hire someone that really end up ruining the rebuild and screw up this generation of Vancouver Canucks. 

Thats not how owners and hockey people hire or keep a GM though. 

Your two examples arent really the same thing. Unless you have already accepted a new job when you leave to minimize the risk or have already found your soul mate prior to leaving your spouse to minimize that risk. Because,owners looking to change management typically dont fire their GM on a whim hoping for the best.

Owners looking to change GM's interview peoplefor the role. They do their due diligence. And a lot of their prep work is typically done behind the scenes while they are considering a change in management.

Keeping a guy because the next guy could be worse is not on their radar. And upgrading an average GM as you describe him is not that hard. There are a lot of highly qualified and experienced people in the hockey world and a small, finite number of GM jobs.

Like anything, planning, due diligence, and clear goals mitigate that risk.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Million times better than Donnie and Fat Guy at the buffet stuffing his face...or Donnie and the Plagiarist.  With Dhali, Donnie is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to carry the goofball Moj and the clown Pratt.

They just understand the fanbase better than most media(TSN/Sportsnet) and anyone pro/anti Benning and what not can listen to them. If fans that argue amongst each other can listen to the same outlet and enjoy it together means that the outlet is a good one IMO.

Not sure I heard anything about Tryamkin's wife making him stay in Russia.

Listen to what Benning actually said, then listen to what Todd Diamond said. Tryamkin did decide to stay in Russia but not vecause he didnt want to play in the NHL.

Benning could not actually agree to his contract demands, even though he said he was willing to do so, until AFTER he cleared cap. So Benning offered actually much less. Tryamkin had the decision to make between accepting less to get the contract done OR wait again this offseason for Benning to clear cap to get more later, and possibly lose out on a much better contract offer from his KHL team.

Making more money is always good for your family. Just sayin.

Nothing Benning said here directly refutes anything Diamond said. He was purposely vague. And Tryamkin leaving 3 years ago had nothing to do with why he didnt come back according to Diamond.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I actually find reddit kind of funny, mostly it sounds like kids that don't really have a clue with the odd bit of interesting news. 

But the so-called professionals in our market, those guys should be apologizing to the fan base. 

Yeah, I was thinking the reason why there were only 10 people at the fire Benning rally is that most 12 year olds probably don't know how to get to Stadium station from the basement they're rambling from. That and their mom's probably don't want them hanging around with the 10 weirdos who were there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think the ED is a blessing in disguise, watching these playoffs there a lot of good d men that are going to be unprotected. Now if JB can manage a deal for one. 

Friedman mentioned before that it may be a pipe dream.  

If you got 5 good dman on your team, you’re not going to be trading them away, or trading one and losing one.  

A lot of teams will just bite the bullet and lose one player. 

46 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So can we get some accountability with these clown journalists?

After reporting $&!# that has now been debunked, we can assume that Vancouver media should largely be ignored. Even Ian MacIntyre needs to be scrutinized because he's parroting what he thinks are valid sources - yet it is his responsibility as a journalist to get the facts right.

Glad we have an owner that isn't in fact "cheap" (what a load of trash. Top 25 richest in Canada, and people whining we don't have a top 5 rich guy in Canada). That speculation about FA being poor is also stupid AF.

We also had the huge fuss about Hughes being on IV (Sekeres).

The media is snowballing anxiety onto the fanbase, who cannot be viewed as a beacon of rationality. They just read at the level of grade school and then report back to everyone else like it's a fact. No demonstration of critical thinking. No logic.

Reddit/Twitter are both cesspools for Canucks discussion. Basically the moment you try to speak reason to them about this entire situation, no, it's all Benning's fault. And they don't care about listening to your arguments, no matter how valid you are.

With all due respect, someone reporting something certainly doesnt mean it is true. But Benning publicly denying also doesnt necessarily mean it isnt.

Same with Hughes actually. We dont know he wasnt on an iv. We just know he denied it. Players and execs actually lie for damage control all the time. Media sensationalizes things and can outright lie on the flimsiest of sources too.

Neither of those two things are mutually exclusive and both happen a lot.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If you got 5 good dman on your team, you’re not going to be trading them away, or trading one and losing one.  

I think this is far more likely than not this time around. I hope not but i suspect most teams learned their lesson last time around.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

With all due respect, someone reporting something certainly doesnt mean it is true. But Benning publicly denying also doesnt necessarily mean it isnt.

Same with Hughes actually. We dont know he wasnt on an iv. We just know he denied it. Players and execs actually lie for damage control all the time. Media sensationalizes things and can outright lie on the flimsiest of sources too.

Neither of those two things are mutually exclusive and both happen a lot.

Gotta disagree with you here.  

We have a long track record of the hockey media making fake controversies here.  

Did you hear Hughes talk about the IV situation? If you did you wouldn’t try and defend the report.  

Miller wants a trade, Schmidt wants a trade... proven to be false and false.  

Sorry I gotta side with the good guys here like Bieksa, Donnie Taylor and Friedman ... not the slimy reporters trying to drum up clicks and views through their fake sources. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I can see a team with five good D trading one away (who they cannot protect) for a younger D, who they can protect.  The guy traded away is established, and the young guy coming in would be a good prospect.  So if this was to happen we would be trading away a guy like Woo for a D who needs protecting and is a clear improvement over a guy like OJ.  I just don’t see us doing that kind of deal.  We already have Hughes, Bone, Myers, and Schmidt.  

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So can we get some accountability with these clown journalists?

After reporting $&!# that has now been debunked, we can assume that Vancouver media should largely be ignored. Even Ian MacIntyre needs to be scrutinized because he's parroting what he thinks are valid sources - yet it is his responsibility as a journalist to get the facts right.

Glad we have an owner that isn't in fact "cheap" (what a load of trash. Top 25 richest in Canada, and people whining we don't have a top 5 rich guy in Canada). That speculation about FA being poor is also stupid AF.

We also had the huge fuss about Hughes being on IV (Sekeres).

The media is snowballing anxiety onto the fanbase, who cannot be viewed as a beacon of rationality. They just read at the level of grade school and then report back to everyone else like it's a fact. No demonstration of critical thinking. No logic.

Reddit/Twitter are both cesspools for Canucks discussion. Basically the moment you try to speak reason to them about this entire situation, no, it's all Benning's fault. And they don't care about listening to your arguments, no matter how valid you are.

FA isn't a billionaire. If you own a major sports team and your not a billionaire get the hell out. Hes cheap. My mom cleans his office and he uses 1 ply toilet paper and his toilet is America  standard. Not even a TOTO. This guy is crapping like a poor hobo

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I can see a team with five good D trading one away (who they cannot protect) for a younger D, who they can protect.  The guy traded away is established, and the young guy coming in would be a good prospect.  So if this was to happen we would be trading away a guy like Woo for a D who needs protecting and is a clear improvement over a guy like OJ.  I just don’t see us doing that kind of deal.  We already have Hughes, Bone, Myers, and Schmidt.  

I don’t know Alf, people always spitball trade proposals that just aren’t there.  

If you’re Carolina you’re okay with losing one d-man instead of fumbling the situation and losing multiple players.  

Either way my biggest takeaways were the positive news on Clarke, Podkolzin signing being imminent and the revelation that Juolevi had a really rough Covid experience that resulted in him sitting out more games then they wanted. 

2 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

FA isn't a billionaire. If you own a major sports team and your not a billionaire get the hell out. Hes cheap. My mom cleans his office and he uses 1 ply toilet paper and his toilet is America  standard. Not even a TOTO. This guy is crapping like a poor hobo

Toto is now a toilet?  Poor little guy.

image.thumb.jpeg.7028496e4cd63a1014bf46444ef097d4.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Gotta disagree with you here.  

We have a long track record of the hockey media making fake controversies here.  

Did you hear Hughes talk about the IV situation? If you did you wouldn’t try and defend the report.  

Miller wants a trade, Schmidt wants a trade... proven to be false and false.  

Sorry I gotta side with the good guys here like Bieksa, Donnie Taylor and Friedman ... not the slimy reporters trying to drum up clicks and views through their fake sources. 

I am not defending the report. I am saying players and execs mislead and lie in the media too for damage control reasons. It happens a lot.

Again, not saying those players have asked to be traded. Just saying it hasnt been provenfalse or debunked or anything else just becauseBenning said so. There could be any number of logical reasons that if it was true he would not want it getting out.

My statement made no judgment about what the actual truth is of any of those scenarios. I just debunked the theory that the media lies and players/GM's dont.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

...and the revelation that Juolevi had a really rough Covid experience that resulted in him sitting out more games then they wanted. 

Haha I just realized that this is another thing that can be added to the list of lies by the media this year.  

Juolevi not playing was due to the fact that we didn’t have any cap room to put him into the lineup.  That was a Patrick Johnson special from a few weeks ago I believe.  

Our market here is too big so we have bloggers that become “journalists”.