The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st round draft pick

Hi, so your JB, and facing the draft knowing your needing a high-end defenseman and a 3rd line center.

So now what, 4-5 Dmen are in the top 10 who fit that from Owen Power on down, or do you scan for a center prospect for need rather than best pick available? 

Yeah a hard choice indeed. Every GM has their own BPA so we will see. I think trade is the way to go for a 3C this offseason. Cant go wrong with high quality Centers tho. Personally clarke is my number 1 because of him being a RHD but after that i have beniers, mctavish or eklund over all the other Dmen available.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Hi, so your JB, and facing the draft knowing your needing a high-end defenseman and a 3rd line center.

So now what, 4-5 Dmen are in the top 10 who fit that from Owen Power on down, or do you scan for a center prospect for need rather than best pick available? 

Although we don't really need another thread to discuss this, there's a few of them out there, including our main draft thread, my personal opinion is, that if we don't win the lottery, I would look at shopping our 1st round pick for immediate help from some of the real cap crunched teams. I'm not saying get someone a lot older, I'm saying, go see who has a kid that fits our needs, who they are having trouble resigning due to the flat cap. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

If we win top two in the draft lottery, then It's Power or Clarke.  If we draft at 9 or 10 I'm thinking it's Ceulemans or Morrow.  Both these guys will be gone before we draft in round two, so maybe Benning picks the one he prefers with our first pick?  

Good question, we literally haven't drafted a 'blue-chip' centerman since Petey and we only have him and BoHo as younger 'natural' NHL level centers in the organization at this point.  If in JB's view a defenceman is clearly better than any center available then so be it but if at our spot there is no marked difference between the players left I think we should be looking long and hard at filling that center role. 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Good question, we literally haven't drafted a 'blue-chip' centerman since Petey and we only have him and BoHo as younger 'natural' NHL level centers in the organization at this point.  If in JB's view a defenceman is clearly better than any center available then so be it but if at our spot there is no marked difference between the players left I think we should be looking long and hard at filling that center role. 

Agreed our C position in prospects is very weak.

Gourde is probably the best 3C available this offseason given Tampa's cap constraints. I would desperately look to bring him in, something like our 2nd + a young player like MacEwan or Focht or something. Throw in Stephens from their end and we just got a brand new 3C and 4C. 

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Gourde is probably the best 3C available this offseason given Tampa's cap constraints. I would desperately look to bring him in, something like our 2nd + a young player like MacEwan or Focht or something. Throw in Stephens from their end and we just got a brand new 3C and 4C. 

5.1 mill yikes i dunno how we can afford him

Acquiring top D talent via trade is much harder than bottom-six center.

That is what GMs are for, finding good talents is not always about having a top pick.

Find a Stud D and keep your job JB.

the pick is not low.

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What about Anthony Cerelli?  I think I prefer him to Gourde.  The cost would be for certain our first though (providing we don't win the lottery, of course.)

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

5.1 mill yikes i dunno how we can afford him

Some cap will definitely have to be removed from Roussel, Eriksson, Holtby, etc. through trade or buyout, but management has said that they'll be looking at those options anyway. 

9 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

For me, I do the following and prioritize the following:

1) Wait for the lottery to see where we end up. 
2) Try and draft BPA.  I’ve talked about using assets to try and move up to try and knab Power or Edvinsson, or even trying to trade for Lindholm via a sign and trade, but I ultimately would NOT do this.  Take BPA. 
3) Use a 2nd + 4th  to get rid of Eriksson. Get a 7th in return.  Use the Marc Staal deal as a comparable (Staal only required a 2nd but he’s slightly more valuable than Eriksson).

4) Either a 3rd + 7th to get rid of Roussel (for a 6th) or a 3rd + middling prospect.  
5) Go HARD after Adam Larsson. David Savard if Larsson is gone.
6) Go HARD after Wenneberg, or re-sign Sutter to a one year deal if AW is gone.

7) If Virtanen is cleared of his off ice stuff, give him one last chance to see how he operates in a post Covid world.  For all of Virtanen’s warts, the guy was on pace for 20 goals before Covid struck.  Covid affects all of us differently, but my guess is that the more “sociable” people are affected more.   Virtanen has zero value right now and so keeping him around might be worth it.  Phil Jackson in “The Last Dance,” also recognized that coaches need to recognize the individuality of players, within reason.  This is what Jackson did with Rodman.  

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Wenneberg-Virtanen (or Sutter)

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

Schmidt-Larsson (or Savard)

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone)

Demko

Holtby

A year later when Beagle and a (still sub-par?) Virtanen come off the books, use that money to go hard after a high ticket UFA in whatever area.

Sorry But i really can't see why anybody would even think about trading a top ten pick for a 3 line center . I do see the Canucks as moving up the ranks next year unless something really bad happens to Demko so this might be the last chance to get a high pick for a while . If they win  first or second picks there asking price for a trade would be Far to high for other teams as has been for all the drafts over the last number of years . If they did I would hope it would not go back below 5th or 6th and the add from the other team would have to be huge . Just my two cents worth . When Van did it for Bo they said right away that they had him as a # 2 center and future leader of the team Do you think in hindsight NJ wouldn't love to undo that one ?  I was a big Snider fan and for a long time I kept thinking Van got taken in the deal  Until I saw Bo Play 

Edited by Nurnge
Sorry again 2 different thoughts there
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

For me, I do the following and prioritize the following:

1) Wait for the lottery to see where we end up. 
2) Try and draft BPA.  I’ve talked about using assets to try and move up to try and knab Power or Edvinsson, or even trying to trade for Lindholm via a sign and trade, but I ultimately would NOT do this.  Take BPA. 
3) Use a 2nd + 4th  to get rid of Eriksson. Get a 7th in return.  Use the Marc Staal deal as a comparable (Staal only required a 2nd but he’s slightly more valuable than Eriksson).

4) Either a 3rd + 7th to get rid of Roussel (for a 6th) or a 3rd + middling prospect.  
5) Go HARD after Adam Larsson. David Savard if Larsson is gone.
6) Go HARD after Wenneberg, or re-sign Sutter to a one year deal if AW is gone.

7) If Virtanen is cleared of his off ice stuff, give him one last chance to see how he operates in a post Covid world.  For all of Virtanen’s warts, the guy was on pace for 20 goals before Covid struck.  Covid affects all of us differently, but my guess is that the more “sociable” people are affected more.   Virtanen has zero value right now and so keeping him around might be worth it.  Phil Jackson in “The Last Dance,” also recognized that coaches need to recognize the individuality of players, within reason.  This is what Jackson did with Rodman.  

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Wenneberg-Virtanen (or Sutter)

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

Schmidt-Larsson (or Savard)

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone)

Demko

Holtby

A year later when Beagle and a (still sub-par?) Virtanen come off the books, use that money to go hard after a high ticket UFA in whatever area.

Marc Staal >> then LE.   Marleau >> then LE.    Think that would cost us more  a lot more, especially under flat cap.   Like our first (9th).     You never do know though.   This year is a crap shoot, trading picks might be a decent idea to clear some cap.   Personally i'd rather we just stick to the plan, don't trade and picks or prospects and just take out medicine.   Good deals will be there next off - season too, and if we do that we will be doing it from a position of strength for multiple reasons.   One we will have seen what our young support players can do (because for sure we will need them to meet cap), two flat cap will have mostly sorted itself out by then and markets will be easier to understand.   Teams overpaid this year and last off season.   They likely will again this year.   But year three GMs will have got it pretty buttoned up, know what to spend and the deals will make more sense cap wise (hopefully anyways).    9-12 the following off season could be exactly what the doctor ordered, team will have a clearer idea of where to spend the money (we truly don't yet - need to see more of Rathbone, Lind, hopefully Gads too (a lot think he's going to Seattle), maybe Woo for some games maybe even MD as well etc. 

This is not the off-season to be spending futures rather much like the last one, tightening up the belt.   

Figure in our own division with mostly the same team and a camp next season good odds we are a bubble or better team as is now.   That's what i'd do anyways.   For sure jump on an opportunity if it presents itself.    Other then that just stay the course.  Add this years and next years picks .... well we could end up in the catbird seat.   JB needs another great draft to turbo boost our pool when they are truly competitive.   Also needs to just hang tight and watch cap melt away (and he's a lot of that will end up going to his draft picks - but RFAs don't get paid like UFAs so lucky us!)

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1