The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st round draft pick

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Marc Staal >> then LE.   Marleau >> then LE.    Think that would cost us more  a lot more, especially under flat cap.   Like our first (9th).     You never do know though.   This year is a crap shoot, trading picks might be a decent idea to clear some cap.   Personally i'd rather we just stick to the plan, don't trade and picks or prospects and just take out medicine.   Good deals will be there next off - season too, and if we do that we will be doing it from a position of strength for multiple reasons.   One we will have seen what our young support players can do (because for sure we will need them to meet cap), two flat cap will have mostly sorted itself out by then and markets will be easier to understand.   Teams overpaid this year and last off season.   They likely will again this year.   But year three GMs will have got it pretty buttoned up, know what to spend and the deals will make more sense cap wise (hopefully anyways).    9-12 the following off season could be exactly what the doctor ordered, team will have a clearer idea of where to spend the money (we truly don't yet - need to see more of Rathbone, Lind, hopefully Gads too (a lot think he's going to Seattle), maybe Woo for some games maybe even MD as well etc. 

This is not the off-season to be spending futures rather much like the last one, tightening up the belt.   

Figure in our own division with mostly the same team and a camp next season good odds we are a bubble or better team as is now.   That's what i'd do anyways.   For sure jump on an opportunity if it presents itself.    Other then that just stay the course.  Add this years and next years picks .... well we could end up in the catbird seat.   JB needs another great draft to turbo boost our pool when they are truly competitive.   Also needs to just hang tight and watch cap melt away (and he's a lot of that will end up going to his draft picks - but RFAs don't get paid like UFAs so lucky us!)

Ideally, I would be inclined to agree with you.   Ride next season out, have another "2007-2008" season like we did this past season (my 07-08 is in reference to the "lost year(s) that are/were sandwiched between a surprise 2nd round appearance and us entering our real elite window), and then come out HUGE in 22-23.   

My only concern about following that is that it might lead to further toxicity amongst the media, fans, and players.  We saw 'traces' of this toxicity this past season, but it wasn't too bad.  I think players understood our cap situation and were willing to give management the benefit of the doubt.  One year of crap is ok.  Two years however, and I think players like JT Miller, Tyler Myers, Braden Holtby, and Nate Schmidt will start to wonder as to why they were traded for/signed here if the team wasn't serious about competing sooner?  Furthermore, if guys like Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes can't understand management's plan, or get the sense that management "gave up" or "went in a different direction" after the 19-20 season, then why would Hughes and Petey be willing to "buy in" and take hometown discounts for the greater good of the team?  (i.e. take slightly less money and more favourable team-oriented deals with the expectation that management will build aggressively towards a winner).       

While management's plan all along may have been for the 22-23 season, I'm not sure if all players will understand that vision.  Our %$%$W media certainly don't, nor do many of the "25-30 year old know it alls" over at HF.   With that in mind, I do believe that management needs to be a little more aggressive in this off season as to avoid a toxic environment.   Management needs to decide immediately if this PAST season was the anomaly, or if the 19-20 season was the anomaly.   

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Ideally, I would be inclined to agree with you.   Ride next season out, have another "2007-2008" season like we did this past season (my 07-08 is in reference to the "lost year(s) that are/were sandwiched between a surprise 2nd round appearance and us entering our real elite window), and then come out HUGE in 22-23.   

My only concern about following that is that it might lead to further toxicity amongst the media, fans, and players.  We saw 'traces' of this toxicity this past season, but it wasn't too bad.  I think players understood our cap situation and were willing to give management the benefit of the doubt.  One year of crap is ok.  Two years however, and I think players like JT Miller, Tyler Myers, Braden Holtby, and Nate Schmidt will start to wonder as to why they were traded for/signed here if the team wasn't serious about competing sooner?  Furthermore, if guys like Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes can't understand management's plan, or get the sense that management "gave up" or "went in a different direction" after the 19-20 season, then why would Hughes and Petey be willing to "buy in" and take hometown discounts for the greater good of the team?  (i.e. take slightly less money and more favourable team-oriented deals with the expectation that management will build aggressively towards a winner).       

While management's plan all along may have been for the 22-23 season, I'm not sure if all players will understand that vision.  Our %$%$W media certainly don't, nor do many of the "25-30 year old know it alls" over at HF.   With that in mind, I do believe that management needs to be a little more aggressive in this off season as to avoid a toxic environment.   Management needs to decide immediately if this PAST season was the anomaly, or if the 19-20 season was the anomaly.   

I do see some similar things as the team we had in the early 90's as far as young talent goes (McLean, Nedved, Bure, Linden, Ronning - Demko, QHs, EP, BB, Horvat plus Podz maybe too) and also get the when Luongo first came the team had the feel they were going to do something great too...

But don't quite think it's so simple.   Immediately is pretty hard to do considering last season - snap judgements aren't going to happen thankfully, but will agree that next season will become an important one on gauging the core and the future of the club.   Team has holes that won't get solved over night or this off season - but they will like Luongo's 2nd/3rd year with us, and like before Quin traded for Ronning and Courtnall etc - be able to what should be done next.   One year.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Trust the process.   Take the BPA.   And don't trade up.   Not worth it this draft.   Maybe trade down if your sure your guy will still be there. 

I'd trade up for Clarke or Eklund.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'd trade up for Clarke or Eklund.

That Swede looks pretty good too.   Tough take this draft.   Has an EP draft year feel, where the too few picked won't end up being the guy to take but who knows for sure. 

• Like 1

We have a first line everything, except RHD, which after center is the hardest to get. 

We should go after Clarke...he will not be there at #9 and we will not be in position for a long time (hopefully) to draft one again.

I think you have to think where will we be in 3, 4 or 5 years from now?

I would pay a kings ransom for him.

#9, Schmidt, Lind and a 2022 2nd to move up to 2?.................why, because none will have the impact on our team, like a true #1 RHD

#9 + 2023 1st (unprotected)

Again, we will not be in position for a long time (hopefully) to draft one again.

Edited by janisahockeynut

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

We have a first line everything, except RHD, which after center is the hardest to get. 

We should go after Clarke...he will not be there at #9 and we will not be in position for a long time (hopefully) to draft one again.

I think you have to think where will we be in 3, 4 or 5 years from now?

I would pay a kings ransom for him.

#9, Schmidt, Lind and a 2022 2nd to move up to 2?.................why, because none will have the impact on our team, like a true #1 RHD

#9 + 2023 1st (unprotected)

Again, we will not be in position for a long time (hopefully) to draft one again.

Well we're projected 9 as it stands but we might move up.. 

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Hi, so your JB, and facing the draft knowing your needing a high-end defenseman and a 3rd line center.

So now what, 4-5 Dmen are in the top 10 who fit that from Owen Power on down, or do you scan for a center prospect for need rather than best pick available? 

I think we should go BPA.

That player that we pick isn't going to be on the team until 2-3 years later. By then, our needs may have changed.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

That player that we pick isn't going to be on the team until 2-3 years later. By then, our needs may have changed.

Yes.    Don't see the value of trading roster players for lottery tickets at this point, too risky, unless that player isn't really part of the plan anyways.   We (like a lot of other teams unfortunately), have an abundance of LHDs and don't think we really need to go there unless we trade one (Rathbone or OJ maybe).   Sounds like OJ is getting a spot (didn't recover from covid enough) next season so likely Rathbone.    There will be C's (which we also need in our pool) available as well.    

I think trading our pick if Clarke is gone and any C's we are truly interested is gone is for sure on the table as well.   To acquire a young RHD or C that fits the age group of our core.  

19 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

EP, Hughes, Podzkolzin...they've done a pretty good job with their recent high first round picks.  I'm intrigued as hell who they'll end up picking.

I wonder if they try trading Lind or Gadjovich for an extra draft pick at the draft.

not so sure that's a good idea, both have gotten further around the curve and we all know how bad we seem to get banged up, and a horrific schedule.. I think anyone we get from 1-9 will help a lot, and if it's not a NHL ready player, we still have a year to see how he does in (almost said Utica) lol  but who knows, if JB can pull off something, he will... and if we just pick 9th we might get someone fairly good.. as long as he has size speed and skill, I'm happy but HAS to have size, us getting pushed around in the playoffs WILL happen if we don't draft to that, we've all seen the same ole' 

On 5/28/2021 at 6:57 PM, IBatch said:

I do see some similar things as the team we had in the early 90's as far as young talent goes (McLean, Nedved, Bure, Linden, Ronning - Demko, QHs, EP, BB, Horvat plus Podz maybe too) and also get the when Luongo first came the team had the feel they were going to do something great too...

But don't quite think it's so simple.   Immediately is pretty hard to do considering last season - snap judgements aren't going to happen thankfully, but will agree that next season will become an important one on gauging the core and the future of the club.   Team has holes that won't get solved over night or this off season - but they will like Luongo's 2nd/3rd year with us, and like before Quin traded for Ronning and Courtnall etc - be able to what should be done next.   One year.  

In other news, JB hires Pavel Bure for a training period with Podz, steps in and makes a huge impact (no not like Pavel himself) but one can wish right? on both counts... praying he's training his a** off all offseason long... definately has the will to do it.. 

Make no mistake, we will actually gain a bit in cap space to Seattle as well then the ELC of Podz as well.. and see JB doing bridge deals to Hughes and Petey with a light first 2 years and then back loaded the last 3, and then to re-up Bo and then Brock but after that we will have money and maybe, just maybe be able to snag a top pairing consistent D or even 2..  normally we don't have a problem scoring BUT our D gets scored on way too much and team D needs work as well, it'll come though... 

On 5/29/2021 at 12:56 AM, khay said:

I sort of agree, I think the bpa on D though, our core is set, we need to develop from here on in to our weakness and that's D and we can pick up a good consistent stand in until he develops...  but we can never have enough depth or developing depth, we always get creamed with injuries so nothing wrong with stacking up unless a player gets passed to us which has been known to happen, otherwise staying the course and actually building for a change is amazing to see in the first place, usually we just dump our picks away in trades... that hasn't worked in 40 years and it's not going to anytime soon either. I can deal with the 10 year complaint on JB because I hardly want to see another one trick pony from selling everything off..  that was pathetic but everyone seemed to be ok with it, yeah NO thanks... 

It all depends on the moves leading up to the expansion draft and the expansion draft it's self.

First I'd be trading our 2022 1st, Virtanen and Lind for 2022 3rd, Cernak and Johnson (Cap dump). Depending on if Virtanen's contract is terminated we may have to adjust. 

If Johnson is selected by Kraken then I'd draft a center with our 1st. However, if Schmidt is selected then I'd draft a defenceman and insert Johnson as 3C.

Edited by Doogie

How would you feel about the following plan?

1) Canucks win the lottery and have first overall.

2) Canucks use the first overall as a sweetener  to move ALL of Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle  to Seattle for a 7th round pick with the intention of being a major player in the UFA market this summer.