The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st round draft pick

8 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

How would you feel about the following plan?

1) Canucks win the lottery and have first overall.

2) Canucks use the first overall as a sweetener  to move ALL of Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle  to Seattle for a 7th round pick with the intention of being a major player in the UFA market this summer.  

Draft Clarke or Power, and move on.  Our core is still very young.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

How would you feel about the following plan?

1) Canucks win the lottery and have first overall.

2) Canucks use the first overall as a sweetener  to move ALL of Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle  to Seattle for a 7th round pick with the intention of being a major player in the UFA market this summer.  

If we get first overall you take the player - its not worth it to try and land some UFAs when we want to be building younger, and creating a second wave of depth behind the current core. Thats how you win the Cup - you have you primary core on decent cost controlled contracts, and have strong depth behind them, no point making al that space to essentially plug in some short term solutions

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

If we get first overall you take the player - its not worth it to try and land some UFAs when we want to be building younger, and creating a second wave of depth behind the current core. Thats how you win the Cup - you have you primary core on decent cost controlled contracts, and have strong depth behind them, no point making al that space to essentially plug in some short term solutions

I agree with this.  

Playing Devil’s advocate however, I wonder as to how effective our roster would be long term if we took that freed up cap space, and brought in “low cost guys” like Wenneberg, David Savard, plus maybe another guy to make us very deep.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:10 PM, iceman64 said:

Hi, so your JB, and facing the draft knowing your needing a high-end defenseman and a 3rd line center.

So now what, 4-5 Dmen are in the top 10 who fit that from Owen Power on down, or do you scan for a center prospect for need rather than best pick available? 

This is such a crapshoot draft.

So many players never got the chance to show any improvements they'd made to their games. 

That being said, this may be a year to go a bit off the board.

Another position we're lacking depth is LW.

I know Hoglander was drafted as an LW but he's really found a home with Horvat. I've no interset in breaking that up.

At this draft I'd be very interested in dropping down and picking up extra or prospects.

One guy I'm high on as a prospect is Ryan O Rourke.

I might find out if Minnesota might be interested in moving up (to #9) for O Rourke and their first rounder.

My target is Sasha Pastujov.

An American born player who seems to be not getting respect.

Although his defensive game needs some work, scouts say it is only small things he needs to work on and should be easy fixes. He has a "rediculously high hockey IQ" and can dangle in a phone booth. His skating is excellent. One scout says he plays a similar game to Matthew Tkachuk. High intensity and aggression. All things that are dear to my heart in a hockey player.