The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver trades 2021 9th overall pick to Arizona in a blockbuster

Vancouver sends Tyler Myers, Nate Schmidt, Antoine Roussel, Loui Ericksson, Kole Lind, Olli Juolevi, 2021 1st round pick pick

Arizona sends Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jakob Chychrun, Nick Smaltz 

Arizona does it to get a much needed high draft pick in a draft loaded with defenseman and also moving a lot of long term money in OEL and Smaltz while at least getting two prospects that can play next year in Lind and Juolevi 

Vancouver does this as a swing for the fences so Benning doesn’t get fired and gets 2 top 4 defenseman and a 3rd line centre and they moved a lot of anchor contracts 

D3654F28-DBB6-458F-AAD0-30DB6B5E1793.jpeg

8B267013-8306-4F04-ADFE-AD37C5BADB13.jpeg

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We would have 5 LHD with that trade and nothing on the right 

quinn

oel

chychrun

rathbobe

jouveli

RHD:

Hamonic(if signed)

Woo?

Chychrun would never get traded by arizona tho. Nick schmaltz is interesting but this package isnt the right one.

No Joulevi since he was just traded 

• Cheers 1

When did their franchise become the Arizona Recycling Bins?  Because they're basically taking our trash.  If the 1st sweetens for Loui, Juolevi sweetens for Roussel, then we're trading Lind, Myers and Schmidt for their only two remaining D-men with term in Chychrun (their emerging top D) and OEL (overrated and overpriced but still decent and their captain) and Schmaltz (their 4th leading scorer up front, albeit with term in his contract)?  Not sure Arizona guts their talent on the blueline and doesn't get help for up front since scoring is an issue for them (they only scored two more goals than us all season).  I'm struggling to see what this does for the Coyotes. 

• Cheers 1

Wasting three pieces like this in Lind, Juolevi and the 2021 #9OA would be a huge mistake. Keep in mind Bo Horvat was picked at #9OA 8 years ago. Can you imagine if we just traded away Horvat to get a 29-year old defenseman? Wouldn't everyone complain about it on here forever? I'm talking about a top six forward, a top four defenseman and possibly a starting goalie. Frankly, I think Gibson Homer in the 2022 draft is a better fit for our team than Wallstedt. I think it would be more logical to lean into Demko, get him a veteran backup for next season and pick a skater in this years' draft. I think with Dipietro and Silovs in the system, we don't need to draft another goalie in the first round. 

Mason McTavish, Dylan Guenther, Simon Edvinsson, Brandt Clarke, Cole Sillinger and Kent Johnson are all fine future NHL players that could step onto our team next year or in 2022. We're about to turn a corner and we would've had a much better season if we'd kept Toffoli, who I think is on a fantastic contract at that cap hit. If we have never signed Eriksson, we'd be able to keep Toffoli and it would've had a huge butterfly effect on the rest team. We need to bring in young players that can play their roles and we're in need of another scorer. One of those forwards is probably capable of replacing Toffoli's production over the next few years. By then, Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser will be entering their prime while Podkolzin(top 9 forward), Hoglander(top six forward), Woo,(middle pairing defenseman), Lockwood(who will be in our bottom six in the future), DiPietro (mediocre starting goaltender /dependable backup), Juolevi (middle pairing defenseman), Lind (top 9 forward) and Rathbone (top four defenseman) will have proven themselves as NHL players. 

Next season, we're going to experience an influx of young players. We've got a young coach who has worked with developing Canucks' prospects in the past. We've got a solid cavalry of guys mentioned above and they''ll be complimented by the 3-5 successful picks that Benning will make over the next two drafts. This team will have to eat two bad contracts after next season with Ferland and Myers, but we've got a promising future. Don't make a trade like this JB, stay the course until we're ready to take the next step. This is a young team. 

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Chychrun would never get traded by arizona tho. Nick schmaltz is interesting but this package isnt the right one.

Every time I hear Chychrun, I cringe as I remember how many of us in this board really liked him. For a while, the D wish list that year was: Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi. Chychrun was supposed to be most NHL-ready, Sergachev has the highest upside, Juolevi had the most IQ. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Every time I hear Chychrun, I cringe as I remember how many of us in this board really liked him. For a while, the D wish list that year was: Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi. Chychrun was supposed to be most NHL-ready, Sergachev has the highest upside, Juolevi had the most IQ. 

Chychrun had a great season this year. It seems like you're saying we shouldn't have liked him

Edited by Where's Wellwood

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Yeah pretty unfortunate looking back at it now.  Sergachev has a real edge to his game. Chychrun going to be one of the best defenseman in the league and jouveli….well 

1 minute ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

but I think Jim Benning is very likely to trade the 9th overall pick for RHD or a 3 centre and defenceman

Well it better be a hell of a good trade otherwise im writing a super rude letter and sending it to his secretary.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Chychrun had a great season this year. It seems like you're saying we shouldn't have liked him

No, exact opposite. The reason I cringe is because of regret that we picked the wrong guy. It feels like one of those over-thought decisions where you unfortunately really wanted someone to convince you to go against what your eyes are telling you is true.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver

46 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah pretty unfortunate looking back at it now.  Sergachev has a real edge to his game. Chychrun going to be one of the best defenseman in the league and jouveli….well 

40 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

No, exact opposite. The reason I cringe is because of regret that we picked the wrong guy. It feels like one of those over-thought decisions where you unfortunately really wanted someone to convince you to go against what your eyes are telling you is true.

I think McAvoy is the real lost opportunity of the 2016 draft.

5th overall would have been a reach on him but he is really good 

• Cheers 1

The cap limit is 81.5mil... I dont get how people think sending 21.5mil of cap to the other team makes for a realistic proposal; and we get 3 very upgraded players back too. The price of trading away 6million of cap was a 1st rounder; before COVID even happened. 

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

The cap limit is 81.5mil... I dont get how people think sending 21.5mil of cap to the other team makes for a realistic proposal; and we get 3 very upgraded players back too. The price of trading away 6million of cap was a 1st rounder; before COVID even happened. 

it's trading $9 million in LE and Roussel that are cap dumps to make the trade work and their contracts expire after this season while all of the players the Canucks would get average 4 more seasons left.