The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver trades 2021 9th overall pick to Arizona in a blockbuster

43 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

it's trading $9 million in LE and Roussel that are cap dumps to make the trade work and their contracts expire after this season while all of the players the Canucks would get average 4 more seasons left.

Well sorry to break it. But if Arizona wanted to unload, they will easily get a 1st round pick for each of the 3 players you named OEL, Chychun, Smaltz and some more draft picks. So 3x1st round picks vs your package; without the 21.5mil in salary cap hit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Vancouver sends Tyler Myers, Nate Schmidt, Antoine Roussel, Loui Ericksson, Kole Lind, Olli Juolevi, 2021 1st round pick pick

Arizona sends Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Jakob Chychrun, Nick Smaltz 

Arizona does it to get a much needed high draft pick in a draft loaded with defenseman and also moving a lot of long term money in OEL and Smaltz while at least getting two prospects that can play next year in Lind and Juolevi 

Vancouver does this as a swing for the fences so Benning doesn’t get fired and gets 2 top 4 defenseman and a 3rd line centre and they moved a lot of anchor contracts 

D3654F28-DBB6-458F-AAD0-30DB6B5E1793.jpeg

8B267013-8306-4F04-ADFE-AD37C5BADB13.jpeg

I would LOVE to get Chychrun but no way way AZ gives him up.   

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Every time I hear Chychrun, I cringe as I remember how many of us in this board really liked him. For a while, the D wish list that year was: Chychrun, Sergachev, Juolevi. Chychrun was supposed to be most NHL-ready, Sergachev has the highest upside, Juolevi had the most IQ. 

Yep and yes.   Chychrun was also the consensus first overall a year before the draft but slipped.    Took some time to gain traction but now look at him.   McAcoy ... look at him now (although he's small and we don't need two PMD that size IMO at least).   

OJ had the highest floor of the group that year, was the safest pick.   Glad the team changed their tune after and went for players with the highest ceiling instead (and hit on all of them so far massively).    

One way to look at it is if we drafted MT .... he would have played right away and we probably wouldn't have EP.   Valardi maybe instead.   And for sure wouldn't have QHs and absolutely wouldn't have Podz (who could end up the best of the bunch - who knows).   

Given OJ is getting a roster spot next season and could still play 1000 games in this league (or not even 100 we don't know for sure yet) I'm fine with how things went.    Podz.    Just wait, i'm betting a lot of his jerseys get sold over the years, the way he plays is power power power game, something we've lacked for years on the wings.   

• Cheers 1

To me OEL and Schmidt are close enough at this stage if the game in actual value.   We've got Schmidt under a Vegas contract (team friendly$) and suspect like Myers, the second season we will notice what he's worth it. 

OEL is considered the worst or second worst contract in the NHL right now (Skinner that's you !).... we don't need him.   Our L side is loaded already with prospects and fair odds we will be adding one more this draft if we go with BPA.     So no thanks.   Think that whole thing depended on retention.   IF they retain him down to around Myers or Schmidt's salary a little more palatable. 

Lind is still a decent prospect.   Ranked 6th recently on our team.   Worth a gamble so don't mind that.  

OJ ... well next season we will finally find out what he's got - and with a limited small sample size what he's got is the safest game out of all our D's.   Wasn't he a plus player before covid?   Maybe he still is haven't checked....but safe game is something this team needs from a third pairing D just starting out - don't throw away the baby in the bath water. 

Anyways was hoping for something a little better then this.   Chychrun is a prize no doubt.    Let's find out what OJ is we need cheap guys ... and he's cheap as is Lind. 

Edit:  Do feel Rathbone is a player we could do without.   Redundant player with QHs already there, come playoff time we saw how easy it was for teams to target Stecher's and QHs side every shift.   

Edited by IBatch

BIG no to this type of deal with OEL  8.25 million X 7 years 30 year old kill us with that contract...

We will be fine this year after some buy outs... We could have up to 12 million after signing Hughes and Petterssen..

Hamonic 2 X 2.2 million

Podkolzin 3 X 975.000

Juolevi 2 X 900,000 - One way contract

Appleton 24 - W / C  - 6'2  Jets will lose to Seattle.. Maybe 3rd or 4th rounder 2022??

Graves 26 - D -6'5   Colorado might lose to Seattle - trade or draft pick ? 3.2 million X 2 yrs remaining..

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Well sorry to break it. But if Arizona wanted to unload, they will easily get a 1st round pick for each of the 3 players you named OEL, Chychun, Smaltz and some more draft picks. So 3x1st round picks vs your package; without the 21.5mil in salary cap hit. 

You think an NHL GM would give a 1st rounder for OEL and one for Schmaltz lol

Sorry but this isn't NHL21 lol 

Other teams would have to get a 1st when getting OEL in a trade lol 

Did you see more then half of the cap hit they get in the trade are off the books after next season 

Also if those players would be able to bring in 3 x 1st rounders then Arizona would have done it already and Arizona is broke and wants to dump big contracts.

One thing i will say about Arizona tho is they stay competitive every year because of their defense. A team with such lackluster forwards and goaltending they hardly ever come last overall because of the strength of their D every season imo. People say OEL is declining i dont really see that, overpriced yeah maybe a little. Hes still a big part of that team and in a 82 game season he woulda had 37 points which is very good. Im still on the wagon to bring him here if we can dump salary (luoi, rousell) and they take on schmidt. If they really wanna save money for the future this helps us immediately. Maybe a jouveli for appleton trade could happen also

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

One thing i will say about Arizona tho is they stay competitive every year because of their defense. A team with such lackluster forwards and goaltending they hardly ever come last overall because of the strength of their D every season imo. People say OEL is declining i dont really see that, overpriced yeah maybe a little. Hes still a big part of that team and in a 82 game season he woulda had 37 points which is very good. Im still on the wagon to bring him here if we can dump salary (luoi, rousell) and they take on schmidt. If they really wanna save money for the future this helps us immediately. Maybe a jouveli for appleton trade could happen also

He says hi:

Erik Karlsson (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

One of those players isnt injury prone, makes 3.25 mill a year less, is younger, bigger and stronger and unless they take loui and rousell off our hands we dont do it. Thats the only way i want it done. 

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

One of those players isnt injury prone, makes 3.25 mill a year less, is younger, bigger and stronger and unless they take loui and rousell off our hands we dont do it. Thats the only way i want it done. 

i was agreeing with you about OEL :) I used old Erik as a reference of a player who is truly overpriced. OEL still has a lot of game left in him and would be an excellent addition if we get rid Loui and Rooster as you have suggested!

• Cheers 2