The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attn..The Patience-Queue Starts Here

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Patience has been lost in NHL teams since the arrival of McDavid, Nux. Now everyone expects NHL ready players right out of the draft or they're "busts" :lol:

If Jim can break his pattern of UFA mistakes, we'll be in good shape. There's a lot to like and being patient is easy when you enjoy watching young players develop. If you want instant success, well then thats going to be hard for you. Maybe we'll get some jumping ship to Seattle. 

It comes down to whether or not you're the kind of person that sees the donut or the hole. 

Largely agree..but an alternative theory is one should have a busy day-to-day. Work, kids, hobbies, romance & plenty of tiddly winks, etc...

Suspect a lot of the most overbearing gripers simply have too much time on their hands. Lends itself to angrily ruminating, & plenty of other debilitating habits.

• Vintage 1

If Canucks miss the PO, then my wife is happy so I'm happy.  If the Canucks make the PO, then I'm happy.  Win win. :P

Honestly, would rather build a perennial contender via good drafting.  Keeps salary cap down by introducing good cheap ELC prospects into the line up.  Add TDL acquisition to go deep and costs of 2nd or 3rds (don't touch 1sts).  Trade out vets when priced out of internal cap structure. But that is just my opinion. 

In any case, I'm patient enough.  Just wish they fix the PP.  So annoying seeing them trying to set up the perfect play.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Largely agree..but an alternative theory is one should have a busy day-to-day. Work, kids, hobbies, romance & plenty of tiddly winks, etc...

Suspect a lot of the most overbearing gripers simply have too much time on their hands. Lends itself to angrily ruminating, & plenty of other debilitating habits.

I think it has more to do with having an anger dump. You can't kick your dog or beat your spouse anymore so the next best thing is to go full anger rage over Benning. 

• Hydration 2
19 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I mean hey some people just want to watch the Canucks. They have families and take their little ones to the games just as an outing, that’s totally fine and a large part of the fan base. They’ll watch whatever team is on the ice whenever.

There’s a good chance this core doesn’t win the cup at all. The most dominant team we ever had didn’t. 

You need almost as much luck as you do skill on your team or you’d see dynasties every decade. 

I’d say it’s more about being accepting than being patient.

^ this. If we had won in 2011, would you be more or less interested in Petey or Podkolzin? or the next core 10 years from now? I like the process, if we ever do win all thats a bonus and no matter what the team a rare event. 

• Hydration 2
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Olli should have played every game once they were eliminated, im sure there was some reason they couldnt call him up but Green doesnt seem to like the young player.

I agree with almost everything you have to say except after watching the Benning interview on Donnie and Dhali that bertuzzipunch posted I can understand why Juolevi wasn't played that much down the stretch even after we had been eliminated. Benning stated that Olli was one of the hardest hit players during the Covid outbreak. He lost a considerable amount of strength and conditioning and also dropped about 15 lbs which would have been extremely difficult to come back from and remain competitive on a night after night basis, especially with our extremely compacted post Covid schedule. I'm just speculating on this part but I expect the lack of playing time had less to do with Green not liking the player (which is still absolutely possible) and more to do with Green observing him in practice and talking to the player about when he felt good enough enough be back in game shape. 

I have a 35 year old coworker who spent 12 days in a medically induced coma on a ventilator after getting Covid and having his lungs completely shut down. The hardest part for him now is that he has to re-learn how to do many tasks and can only manage to walk about 10 to 15 steps before becoming completely winded and needing an hour long break to regain his breath. Obviously Olli was nowhere near that sick but it does provide some insight into why he may not of gotten so much game time after being sick.

Edit: I just saw your edit lol.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Additional content
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

To be honest, I think JB’s strategy has been solid. It’s the execution that leaves a lot of things to be desired. Some smart moves this summer and we’re in it again.

I'd agree.  Building has been good.  The "assets" in youth he's let go haven't exactly been worth whinging over in the long term.

But his execution is frightful.  Gotta shed a bunch of cap and dead space without giving up assets now and build smartly towards a genuine future with depth or it's all pointless

We went in to last season and this season thinking we had done well in regards to depth but the truth is we were all rushing it.  A bunch of our younger prospects were barely ready for the AHL, some of our AHL prospects weren't ready for the big show, and the ones that are/were somehow got stymied by these dead space contracts that needed a roster spot

Keep building that foundation 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I will forever attribute this season to the worst schedule in sports history. 

Exactly. This season was an anomaly not the norm. 56 games in 102 days is unheard of and a little unreasonable in pro hockey. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Vintage 2
3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A few random musings, & I'll get to the gist.

Lots of things went wrong this 56 gamer. No prob..a good time to pocket another nice pick or two.

I hope the twins get into our FO. Devoted, intelligent & trustworthy. Great for the org; & reinforces we were correct to have them play out their careers/stay in Van-city.

IF there's no PO's next season? Are you okay with this, as a Canucks fan?

I would be, provided the bulk of our youth keep showing progress. If there are reasons like an insane sched, Covid or mass injuries, I'll understand.

Now should there be a lack of tangible, measurable progress, with no apparent, outside contributing factors, I'd prob be open to JB moving on.

But in general, I'm patient with this bunch(realizing their youth), & quite optimistic for the coming decade of Canucks hockey. I'd like to see about a decade of JB at the podium(2014-2024) then hopefully the baton will be handed off to the twins, & perhaps 1 or 2 other exp'd fellows, who are trusted in the Van/BC puck-scene.

Get in line if you're a patient Nucks-backer. If it's GOTTA' be Hell-on-wheels next yr, then perhaps this thread ain't for you?..

A patient approach. Wow, wouldn't that be nice. Stay the coarse for next year. Fill as many holes internally as possible. Only sign low cost UFA's on one or at the most two year deal. Just to fill a couple of holes. Keep our draft picks.

I worry about the aggressive talk. We don't have much cap space and even with buy outs there won't be enough to get Aggressive.  That means they may not won't to wait for players to develop. So they might look to make trades that involve our first or second round picks. These sort of deals can be ok but unless you are making a deal for very young players you are using a pick to acquire an asset that may only be with your organization for a few years. Versus 10 to 15 years. However there is potential for them to land a younger asset for a pick this year. May be able to fleece someone because of the ED. 

• Vintage 1

Im patient as i see the young core coming together. Its Coming a continuous playoff team is coming. 

this offseason, i hope Jimbo is able to rid some cap and rid the passenger vets. Sign the young guys and have a Great Draft which im super excited for .  

My concern is the big moves that Jimbo promises this offseason. He promises them every year to please the media and fans. But his offseason moves are the problem signing Vet overpriced passengers. As we all know.... so this offseason hes dug himself into a hole. Big Big Moves promised. Plz Jimbo keep the Cap under control first and foremost... next season we are a playoff team and shouldn’t expect a unrealistic Cap team by this offseason Jimbo big moves.

I believe in this core...and foresee great Canucks hockey on the horizon,...but Patients is need...to win the Cup everything need to aline. Luck is needed, no injuries etc.

Go Canucks Go