The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there any part of how Pods plays that Green won’t love?  Green will play to win games, and he will quickly learn that Pods helps his team do that. 

Maybe a few details here and there, little things like where he wants him to be to accept passes for transition and stuff like that. He does seem like a player that gives 110% effort out there but sometimes players that buzz around like that seem good but in reality they are creating needless chaos which is fine in the offensive zone but in the other 2 zones could potentially be deadly.

Assuming we can get a 3C signed, here's what I can foresee next season:

Petey - Miller - Hoglander 

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser 

Motte - Haula (UFA) - Podkolzin 

Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood/MacEwen

It's time to move on from Beagle. I'd bury him in Abbotsford.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, goblix said:

Maybe a few details here and there, little things like where he wants him to be to accept passes for transition and stuff like that. He does seem like a player that gives 110% effort out there but sometimes players that buzz around like that seem good but in reality they are creating needless chaos which is fine in the offensive zone but in the other 2 zones could potentially be deadly.

If hes the defensive player that we were told he is and with igor larionov working with him to get him ready for the NHL. I expect Green giving podz lots of opportunity, maybe even pk time. Im hoping for 12-15 goals and a bunch of hits. 

23 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

If beagle is fit he plays, what he brings in defensive responsibility is not matched anywhere else in the team. 

If you drop beagle you end up with Horvat taking pretty much all the defensive draws. 

that in itself is fine but if you are moving Horvat into that role you need to bring in a c that can either score or run a scoring line 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

I don’t like Miller at centre on the first line. I think Pettersson’s got to be there. Here’s what I would do. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Horvat - Podkolzin 

Pearson - Haula (UFA) - Motte 

Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

There’s a few assumptions here in the line up. Assuming that Podkolzin shows well at training camp and he earns a top six role - that second line would be sick and heavy with Höglander, Horvat and Podkolzin. Those three all play a heavy game. 

Haula I would love if he didn’t cost too much. Motte I’d love to be on the fourth line, as he’s an elite player there. And there’s a lot of inexperience on the fourth line with Graovac and Lockwood. I haven’t seen Lockwood play much, and didn’t even get to see him play his first game in the NHL , so I can’t really say if he’d be a good fit or whether he would actually make the team next season. But he seems to play a physical game, has speed. Something that’s always needed. 

Beagle I have to agree. He’s done. What’s his contract status? Does he have one more year to go? Better not be two....

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

If beagle is fit he plays, what he brings in defensive responsibility is not matched anywhere else in the team. 

If you drop beagle you end up with Horvat taking pretty much all the defensive draws. 

that in itself is fine but if you are moving Horvat into that role you need to bring in a c that can either score or run a scoring line 

I guess that’s true. Maybe there’s no choice but to have Beagle in the line up then....

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ovi has already said he only wants to play for Washington and Moscow for his career 

Also Arizona laughs and hangs up at that weak proposal. 

depends if ownership of coyotes  doesnt wanna go bankrupt they loosing 20 mill every yr before covid   even more now  oel is owed 42 mill thats alot of money  wander if taking eriksson beagle roussel  ferland cap  of 15.5 mill but  ferland on ltir rest of contract   helps them get to  cap floor  but only owe 13.5   mill resl money next yr  and 3.5  i finall yr of ferlands deal    canucks take 42mill of oel contract 

17 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Yeah. I don't think the KHL would have him listed incorrectly. 

IIHF and the website has him at 192cm - which isn't exactly 6'3 when i did the conversion, but IIHF has him listed at 192cm and also 6'4, maybe they did the conversion wrong on their webby. 

IIHF - Russia

Think they round up.   192 cm is 6'3" .59 inches.   193 is basically 6'4" on the dot minus one hair width lol.   At any rate if true then he will look a lot like Linden out there ... been awhile since we've had a skilled forward that size hasn't it? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, buddyguy said:

Absolutely not. 

Beagle helps this team win.  

If he’s healthy he’s our 4C for one more year and anchoring our PK. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Absolutely not. 

Beagle helps this team win.  

If he’s healthy he’s our 4C for one more year and anchoring our PK. 

Beagle, in the role of 4C and PK is for sure our best option in that spot.  He also takes the misty important D zone draws on the right side.  Our other centres are all lefties.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you were saying? 

Right, thats kinda what I was saying.

so the team needs to burn a year of an entry level player for ten games to protect him from the gms stupidity and lack of foresight. Better keep him around sounds like a winner. Lol

So what will the excuse be.
100% on him if we lose a player that way. 

12 hours ago, combover said:

How many offer sheets have there been since it came in?how many happened? and of that how many worked out for the team that successfully offer sheeted ( Dustin penner lol) 

it’s hardly a threat. 
The Only fans that should be worried are ones who have a Gms that have mismanaged the salary cap.

An extra full year of a player on a entry deal well worth the extremely low risk in the cap era. 

E532B98D-381B-42D9-B4F5-8409650A2A2C.jpeg

You get an extra year on ELC but the benefit isn’t just the no offer sheet it’s the lack of arbitration, so it’s a gamble , you trade away a year at minimum to potentially lock them into the second contract for longer and less than they would otherwise get. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

Right, thats kinda what I was saying.

so the team needs to burn a year of an entry level player for ten games to protect him from the gms stupidity and lack of foresight. Better keep him around sounds like a winner. Lol

So what will the excuse be.
100% on him if we lose a player that way. 

I hear you. I just see offer sheet protection as a nice consolation prize for burning an ELC year. Its an effective tool to sign college guys in particular. 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There were some production issues, with his scoring totals maybe not projecting high NHL equivalent points, but I’d say his recent KHL playoff success (11 points in 16 games), did a fair amount to dispel those concerns.

I recall that his coach recently told him to "be more selfish" and take the shot himself rather than trying to set others up.   I recall them mentioning that in the tournament I watched.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t like Miller at centre on the first line. I think Pettersson’s got to be there. Here’s what I would do. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Höglander - Horvat - Podkolzin 

Pearson - Haula (UFA) - Motte 

Highmore - Graovac - Lockwood

There’s a few assumptions here in the line up. Assuming that Podkolzin shows well at training camp and he earns a top six role - that second line would be sick and heavy with Höglander, Horvat and Podkolzin. Those three all play a heavy game. 

Haula I would love if he didn’t cost too much. Motte I’d love to be on the fourth line, as he’s an elite player there. And there’s a lot of inexperience on the fourth line with Graovac and Lockwood. I haven’t seen Lockwood play much, and didn’t even get to see him play his first game in the NHL , so I can’t really say if he’d be a good fit or whether he would actually make the team next season. But he seems to play a physical game, has speed. Something that’s always needed. 

Beagle I have to agree. He’s done. What’s his contract status? Does he have one more year to go? Better not be two....

at this point Petey isn't good enough to be a full time NHL cman, we might have to accept that he's going to be a winger in this league

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

This is my top 9 assuming we get a middle 6 winger rather than a 3c as it would be easier to attain. 

Hog - Petey - Boeser

Motte - Miller - Pod

Pearson - Horvat - ?Lind?

First line is obviously offence. 2nd and 3rd lines offer balance in terms of offence/defence/energy and can be fairly mixed matched. If we are down and need an offensive push we can stack Miller back up with the top line. I really want to see Motte given more of a chance to succeed on the offensive side to go with the rest of his game that has made us all fans of his. Him Miller and Pod all play with a feisty, fast game and I think would be an absolute menace to play against. Pearson and Horvat have chemistry and have had a revolving door of right wingers they adjust too so makes sense to have that spot as the question mark heading into the season. If we can't pick someone new up for the spot I can see Lind or MacEwen. We have plenty of depth options that can play the 4th line.