The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

Just now, IBatch said:

Absolutely.    At least he's drawing us penalties all the time....

again, I think he the chops to play the position if he can get his f/o's to a much higher level.  If he can't get possession of the puck off the f/o, then he's going to spend most of the game chasing the puck and that's not we want EP doing.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, I think he the chops to play the position if he can get his f/o's to a much higher level.  If he can't get possession of the puck off the f/o, then he's going to spend most of the game chasing the puck and that's not we want EP doing.

45% is 5% chasing the puck.   Well his linemates.   Curiously this team's strength is face off's yet we are not a dominant possession team.   Guess what i'm getting at is maybe EP is better off at the wing anyways.   McKinnon was  47.5% this year do you really think 2.5 out of one hundred face off wins makes that much of a difference?   I don't.   I also think possession stats are becoming passé.    What we need from EP is to score 40 goals and 100 points.   

Get at the time we needed a 1C.   He's done an admirable job.   I'd like to see what he can do at LW at some point too.   If not, i'm not too worried about his face offs, they've slowly gotten better - and a lot better then Jack Hughes have been. 

Edit:  For sure the best in business, the ones around 60% make a difference.    The ones 45-55% ... funny thing about winning a face off in the D zone cleanly, often five seconds later it's recovered.   Maybe they nerds should start considering that too.   Face off wins, and who actually has possession five seconds later are often two very different things. 

For me it's more about EP's elite skills not been maximized.   Could be like Panarin.   A top level winger producer plus a responsible back checker.    For sure get a 1C is important in this league and he's the best we have.   And also know he's so good he did the swap.    And Stawns we are in agreement too.   I don't like watching him get manhandled.  If he doesn't switch at least i hope he will gain 20lbs of man strength he's got the height anyways.   Wayne Gretzky was tall and skinny too.   A waif really when he came in.   In a much tougher era.  And he was challenged all the time, just impossible to hit - wasn't too end fast but an incredible skater and saw the ice like nobody else.   EPs got some of that.   

Do think on the wing his production would get a Kane boost, bust also get Horvat and Miller are not the guys to push him there either.   So expect like i'm sure you, more of the same.   4% is a pretty good improvement over the first two years though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is the attitude of a winner... He is going to drive this team forward... 100%

Yeah its great to see. I was poking fun at Nik but im still a little disappointed he bailed on us.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Well, he needs to get the Canadian work visa first and for any Russian this is going to take a month as a minimum time frame...

Do you think he comes over as soon as possible? Maybe get acclimatized , Covid restrictions hopefully concede a bit ,let these young guys gel and hang out more freely. I'm excited for the team next year.

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

The exact type of personality this team needs. Get working on that english podz and hold your teammates accountable lol

he will do that with his playing style, no English needed. We're slowly gaining guys with the right attitude, in Miller and Podz that can really ignite the other guys. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Do you think he comes over as soon as possible? Maybe get acclimatized , Covid restrictions hopefully concede a bit ,let these young guys gel and hang out more freely. I'm excited for the team next year.

I expect Vasily to be in Vancouver for the prospect development camp after the 2021 NHL draft, most likely end of July or beginning of August, and staying in Vancouver after that. I remember him not participating in the Canucks development camp after his 2019 draft.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I expect Vasily to be in Vancouver for the prospect development camp after the 2021 NHL draft, most likely end of July or beginning of August, and staying in Vancouver after that. I remember him not participating in the Canucks development camp after his 2019 draft.

He said in his interview today he will be working out in russia june and july and will be in vancouver in August. 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

depends if ownership of coyotes  doesnt wanna go bankrupt they loosing 20 mill every yr before covid   even more now  oel is owed 42 mill thats alot of money  wander if taking eriksson beagle roussel  ferland cap  of 15.5 mill but  ferland on ltir rest of contract   helps them get to  cap floor  but only owe 13.5   mill resl money next yr  and 3.5  i finall yr of ferlands deal    canucks take 42mill of oel contract 

No matter the money zero chance they take that deal 

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It doesn’t really matter what happens, your tune is always the same.  

I don’t remember the last time you had a message without mentioning the GM. 

what we were discussing applies to any gm.

im glad we got pod locked up and didn’t burn a year for ten games.
That offends you? lol

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah its great to see. I was poking fun at Nik but im still a little disappointed he bailed on us.

I know... was a bit of a let down. To be honest I had the feeling since day 1, that he wasn't coming back. 

Think I remember posting, he was dead to me, the day he left, but that was more in disappointment than anything else.

I've been hoping for a big stay at home D-man with an attitude that would make even the most hardened inmate try to avoid him.

Could care less about his offensive instincts, but one that could plaster the boards with bodies, and had the strength to put them down. A Chara or Pronger clone that could eat 25-30min each game if needed... 

Now at least it looks like we could have one in the opposite end of the ring, and who might be willing to do what JV never did. A Motte but bigger and heavier... I'm back in dream land. 

Just listen to the crowd at Rogers, first time he runs over a Nurse or a Tkachuck.... I am looking so much forward to this... bring it on. 

Even if the rebuild takes another year or two, this would make it less painful while waiting.... Bring it on :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he will do that with his playing style, no English needed. We're slowly gaining guys with the right attitude, in Miller and Podz that can really ignite the other guys. 

Exactly... and add Motte to that group (maybe even Highmore)... Duracell bunnies...

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1