The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

I know... was a bit of a let down. To be honest I had the feeling since day 1, that he wasn't coming back. 

Think I remember posting, he was dead to me, the day he left, but that was more in disappointment than anything else.

I've been hoping for a big stay at home D-man with an attitude that would make even the most hardened inmate try to avoid him.

Could care less about his offensive instincts, but one that could plaster the boards with bodies, and had the strength to put them down. A Chara or Pronger clone that could eat 25-30min each game if needed... 

Now at least it looks like we could have one in the opposite end of the ring, and who might be willing to do what JV never did. A Motte but bigger and heavier... I'm back in dream land. 

Just listen to the crowd at Rogers, first time he runs over a Nurse or a Tkachuck.... I am looking so much forward to this... bring it on. 

Even if the rebuild takes another year or two, this would make it less painful while waiting.... Bring it on :rolleyes:

I'd love to get Zadorov from CHI since they probably lose him to expansion. But that would mean we expose Myers. According to the stats guru's Seattle wouldn't pick him cuz fancy stats, but I think they'd pick him, or at least they'd give it a serious look. 

It might take a risk like this for Jim to really bring in a defensive upgrade from a team thats losing a player anyway. 

• Hydration 2

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd love to get Zadorov from CHI since they probably lose him to expansion. But that would mean we expose Myers. According to the stats guru's Seattle wouldn't pick him cuz fancy stats, but I think they'd pick him, or at least they'd give it a serious look. 

It might take a risk like this for Jim to really bring in a defensive upgrade from a team thats losing a player anyway. 

Anything to upgrade the defensive side of our D would be welcomed, especially size and nastiness... 

I don’t wanna lose Myers, as he is one of the few, who actually makes the others pay the prize. But if that what it takes for an upgrade, then I’m all for it. 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Anything to upgrade the defensive side of our D would be welcomed, especially size and nastiness... 

I don’t wanna lose Myers, as he is one of the few, who actually makes the others pay the prize. But if that what it takes for an upgrade, then I’m all for it. 

I like Myers too. Maybe they take the risk and expose Nate, but they'd only do that if we brought in an absolute stud defensemen. I like Zadorov, but he's not that. As an occasionally nasty third pairing guy tho, yup. 

Dunno, its not going to be easy for Benning to truly be that "aggressive" this offseason. I'm hopeful but there's just too much flat cap reality out there its probably best to temper expectations a bit.

I've noticed a few recent proposal ideas that include Podz, and that needs to stop. He's exactly the kind of player we need to bring into the top 9, if anyones been paying attention to how MTL and WPG have won their series. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like Myers too. Maybe they take the risk and expose Nate, but they'd only do that if we brought in an absolute stud defensemen. I like Zadorov, but he's not that. As an occasionally nasty third pairing guy tho, yup. 

Dunno, its not going to be easy for Benning to truly be that "aggressive" this offseason. I'm hopeful but there's just too much flat cap reality out there its probably best to temper expectations a bit.

I've noticed a few recent proposal ideas that include Podz, and that needs to stop. He's exactly the kind of player we need to bring into the top 9, if anyones been paying attention to how MTL and WPG have won their series. 

Podz going nowhere... He fits the profile to a T... Think this was exactly the kind of player Benning wanted. Fast, hard to play against, skill and strong on the puck...  If we don't get to see Podz in the team, I'll be hugely disappointed...

PS. Spot on... also how Vegas dominated us a year ago.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

On 5/31/2021 at 7:20 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Absolutely not. 

Beagle helps this team win.  

If he’s healthy he’s our 4C for one more year and anchoring our PK. 

Wow where's the Beagle love coming from all of a sudden? Didn't most people want him off the team? He's going to be even slower next season. He also brings next to no offense.

1 minute ago, buddyguy said:

Wow where's the Beagle love coming from all of a sudden? Didn't most people want him off the team? He's going to be even slower next season. He also brings next to no offense.

who's "most people"? 

I hope Beagle is back healthy and in shape as our 4C next year, and he's not there for offence, he was never signed for that. 

• Hydration 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, gurn said:

I don't recall Jay Beagle being brought in for his offense, perhaps I missed that part?

Was saying we need to upgrade to someone who can play on both sides of the puck. Not just a one dimensional 4th line C.

Edited by buddyguy

14 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

He is slowing down but he always holds his own out there and pulls his line into the fight.  

Those that watched the games have appreciated his contribution.  

He’s been slagged by those making arguments about our overpaid bottom six as he is paid rather well.  

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Not just a one dimensional 4th line C.

How many 4th line centers, that can score, are there in this league?

I'd say likely none, or they would be 3rd line centers.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Was saying we need to upgrade to someone who can play on both sides of the puck. Not just a one dimensional 4th line C.

Physical, good leader, won a cup. Seems to be more than one dimensional. Not to mention very few 4th line centers are expected to be consistent scorers. Those players play 3rd line. Lol.

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Physical, good leader, won a cup. Seems to be more than one dimensional. Not to mention very few 4th line centers are expected to be consistent scorers. Those players play 3rd line. Lol.

Who said they need to be "consistent scorers" lol

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Podz going nowhere... He fits the profile to a T... Think this was exactly the kind of player Benning wanted. Fast, hard to play against, skill and strong on the puck...  If we don't get to see Podz in the team, I'll be hugely disappointed...

PS. Spot on... also how Vegas dominated us a year ago.

People can propose all they want, but I highly doubt canucks management are proposing Podz in any trades, they are very high on him, he's a keeper for now. 

Edited by RichieCanuck
  • Hydration 1

Not sure if already posted.  Another real leader to add to this team.  Lots of character... Will do whatever it takes without being dirty.  He'll out work anyone out there.  These are the kind of players you win game 7's with.  This is how you build a cup team.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/31/very-glad-signed-contract-vancouver-vasily-podkolzin-speaks-leaving-khl-showcase-talents-nhl/

• Hydration 3

9 hours ago, buddyguy said:

not that I am aware of and certainly not amongst the posters I'd consider knowledgeable

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

not that I am aware of and certainly not amongst the posters I'd consider knowledgeable

if Beagle can't come back we have a real problem.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Beagle can't come back we have a real problem.

Yep.

Expecting to replace a third line and fourth line center along with upgrading the D and top 6 is too much to do.

Our pk alone would take a serious blow.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 3

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I’m wondering if Button was asked about Pod’s precipitous drop in his prospect rankings that came out this spring? 

• Upvote 1