The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Why are you so useless?

lol took you that long to think of that hey?  What did I say to hurt your feelings? Sorry, I have no control over how you feel about the words I type. Don't forget, your the one who started running his mouth to me, not the other way around - lol I'm not the bad guy here. 

Edited by CJ44

On 6/14/2021 at 11:57 AM, CJ44 said:

Even if, Benning doesn't have the competency or pieces to trade for him. Benning says he's going to be aggressive this off-season which is laughable as we have no cap space and need to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson.

I'm curious as why you think Benning is not good at trades?

The only trade I think wasn't great was for Sutter, tho injuries really skewed that.

Motte for Vanek was a clear win.

Pearson>Guddy

Jt>1st.

TT>2nd and Madden (flat cap again skews it)

Highmore short-term I liked considering he is better suited need wise and played well for us.

Benning has shown an ability to find players that have fit in with the team.

His first couple of years some of the trades he made like getting Vey and Baer in exchange for picks were made because we had zero roster players under contract besides Horvat that were under 28 and we needed to get younger, he also inherited a team full of NMC and our best asset demanded to be traded to one team.

As far as cap space that goes hand in hand with being aggressive. We have around 19 million in cap and can guesstimate that Petey and Quinn will come in around 12 million leaving 8 million in cap.

Buying out Jake, Holtby and Rousell potentially opens up around 8.5 million,  leaving us with 16.5 million, trading LE based on prior similar trades will cost maybe a 2nd. That's 22 million minus podz ELC, re-sign Sutter @ 1.5- 2 million to be the 4th line centre, if we trade for Sam I doubt he gets more than 6 Max on a long-term deal, leaving 14 million to spend on an RHD a depth LHD a cheap backup, or DiPietro and a 3c. So without any moves besides re-signing Sutter and trading for Sam a potential lineup of 

Jt- Petey- Brock

Hoglander Horvat- Reinhart

Pearson- ?- Podz

Highmore- Sutter- Motte

Hughes-?

Rathbone- Schimdt

Joulevi- Myers.

Demko-?/Dipietro

2-3 million for a 3c

3-5 million for an RHD

1- 2 million for a backup

Still leaves 5-8 million

For depth pieces which should include cheap deals like Lind, Zac Lockwood, all who's contracts were already included in the cap hit. Bring Edler back if he's willing to get paid as bottom pairing guy and don't forget with our farm team an hour away for 41 games and 3 hours max the other 41, we don't have to run with a full 23 man roster and guys on the bubble, like Woo, Jonah, etc there is even more flexibility

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

unless there's salary moving back. but there's no way CBJ wants Burakovsky or Kadri. Not sure Colorado really needs him either.

Jones won't be an easy deal to make, I could see this easily turning into a deadline day trade and nothing happening this offseason. 

Avs have to sign Makar Landy Grubs they can't even afford to retain some of their pieces and have Mac to deal with after next season, they are tight until the cap goes up. Plus Kadri has a NTC I doubt the Jackets are on his list of teams he would waive for.

I see him ending up in Dallas.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The only trade I think wasn't great was for Sutter, tho injuries really skewed that.

Pearson>Guddy

Jt>1st.

Highmore short-term I liked considering he is better suited need wise and played well for us.

His first couple of years some of the trades he made like getting Vey and Baer in exchange for picks were made because we had zero roster players under contract besides Horvat that were under 28 and we needed to get younger, he also inherited a team full of NMC and our best asset demanded to be traded to one team.

As far as cap space that goes hand in hand with being aggressive. We have around 19 million in cap and can guesstimate that Petey and Quinn will come in around 12 million leaving 8 million in cap.

Buying out Jake, Holtby and Rousell potentially opens up around 8.5 million,  leaving us with 16.5 million, trading LE based on prior similar trades will cost maybe a 2nd. That's 22 million minus podz ELC, re-sign Sutter @ 1.5- 2 million to be the 4th line centre, if we trade for Sam I doubt he gets more than 6 Max on a long-term deal, leaving 14 million to spend on an RHD a depth LHD a cheap backup, or DiPietro and a 3c. So without any moves besides re-signing Sutter and trading for Sam a potential lineup of 

Jt- Petey- Brock

Pearson- ?- Podz

Highmore- Sutter- Motte

Hughes-?

Rathbone- Schimdt

Joulevi- Myers.

Demko-?/Dipietro

2-3 million for a 3c

3-5 million for an RHD

Still leaves 5-8 million

For depth pieces which should include cheap deals like Lind, Zac Lockwood, all who's contracts were already included in the cap hit. Bring Edler back if he's willing to get paid as bottom pairing guy and don't forget with our farm team an hour away for 41 games and 3 hours max the other 41, we don't have to run with a full 23 man roster and guys on the bubble, like Woo, Jonah, etc there is even more flexibility

8 million isn't a lot of cap space this day in age for a team with this many needs, that's just a fact. Yes if they buy out all the above that opens up room but they haven't yet so I won't speculate on that. A lot of people seem to be upset with my view of Benning (I'm not in the minority by the way): Highmore - way too early to tell - only a handful of games played as a bottom six.

- Schaller, Madden and a 2nd round pick for Toffoli - who we let walk after 1 partial season. We gave up a good prospect and a 2nd for a rental player we didn't need and likely knew we couldn't afford beyond one year. Explain why that makes sense. We were in the playoffs, but me being a lifelong Canucks fan knew we weren't in the position to be giving up our future for rental players. Were we going to make a cup run? No - we were just happy to be in the thing and we did well. 

- McCann, a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder for Erik Gudbranson - think about that..McCann (a good current player) and a 2nd rounder for Gudbranson who did little to contribute and any way besides a few fights. 

- Sven Baertschi for a 2nd (again Benning throwing away picks - the only thing he seems to hit on)

- Linden Vey for a 2nd round pick (again, throwing future away)

- Sam Gagner 3-year 9.45 million contract

I could go on with a few more here but you get the point.

A lot of you are forgetting why we are in this position to begin with.....terrible free agency signing's  Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson's contracts have absolutely handcuffed this team. I guess I should have said Benning is inept in free agency, because he is - this is the reason why we can't afford any depth and are slightly worried about getting two of our young superstars signed. We've drafted well, however there are many scouts and evaluators involved in that and in Benning's ear so I'm not going to give 100% credit to him on that. Our drafting has saved us and is the ONLY reason we are somewhat competitive. It certainly hasn't been because of our free agency prowess or trades. The JT Miller trade I liked and still like, JT is a great player and a big part of this team.

He's been the G.M since 2014....how long of a rope does he get? How many years of cap-strapped mediocrity are we ok with? I'm not saying he's done all thing's badly, but he most certainly not a great one - the stats show that. Our future is looking brighter thanks to some good drafts - but that doesn't make up for it. We have some GREAT young players now, Demko, Huggie, Petey, Rathbone, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Boeser, Horvat etc because of drafting...my point was Benning doesn't do well in free agency and trades, which is why the majority of our main contributors are from drafting and developing. 

Edited by CJ44
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, Alienhuggyflow said:

Pearson>Guddy

Jt>1st.

Jt- Petey- Brock

Pearson- ?- Podz

Highmore- Sutter- Motte

Hughes-?

Rathbone- Schimdt

Joulevi- Myers.

Demko-?/Dipietro

2-3 million for a 3c

3-5 million for an RHD

Still leaves 5-8 million

When you look back and see what JB had to start out with you have to give him better than a passing grade. Fans have short memories. IMO Vancouver is in a good position. Summer should be fascinating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Well it’s been publicly stated that they will be exploring but outs, as well as pretty much said they will be buying out Jake if they can’t terminate his contract.  
So you can fully speculate on that. 

Yes, you are in the minority.  That’s why the Benning hate rally was 9 people and he still has his job. 

A cap dump, a go nowhere shrimp prospect and a 2nd.    We lost a 2nd for the rental.  Totally fair price. 
Also, how did Jim know covid was going to destroy everything?

McCann is a current OK player.   That is after numerous trades and years to develop.  
he wasn’t a good player then, and it didn’t look like he was going to be.  That’s why a couple teams gave up on him.  
Guddy wasn’t great.  But he brought a lot of what we lacked.  

Both fair trades.  We didn’t have anyone on the roster. We needed youngish forwards. 
Baer was well worth the pick. 

I could continue to point out how you are wrong on most your points, but it would be exhausting.  

you are the king of hindsight and a total Negative Nancy.  

How can you even begin to blame Benning for the first handful of years?   He was handed a team full of old garbage players with trash contracts and a completely bare prospect cupboard. 

It takes years to rebuild a team, and even longer is you aren’t able to dismantle the previous management’s mistakes.  

We have one of the best young cores in the game.  Filler contracts are almost off the books.  What more do you want?

@drummerboy with the

image.gif

well spoken my friend, its nice to see actual Canuck fans who understand some of the moves and the motives behind them. And that JB isnt just winging it.

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Well it’s been publicly stated that they will be exploring but outs, as well as pretty much said they will be buying out Jake if they can’t terminate his contract.  

Yes, you are in the minority.  That’s why the Benning hate rally was 9 people and he still has his job. 

A cap dump, a go nowhere shrimp prospect and a 2nd.    We lost a 2nd for the rental.  Totally fair price. 

McCann is a current OK player.   That is after numerous trades and years to develop.  
he wasn’t a good player then, and it didn’t look like he was going to be.  That’s why a couple teams gave up on him.  

Both fair trades.  We didn’t have anyone on the roster. We needed youngish forwards. 

I could continue to point out how you are wrong on most your points, but it would be exhausting.  

How can you even begin to blame Benning for the first handful of years?   He was handed a team full of old garbage players with trash contracts and a completely bare prospect cupboard. 

It takes years to rebuild a team, and even longer is you aren’t able to dismantle the previous management’s mistakes.  

We have one of the best young cores in the game.  Filler contracts are almost off the books.  What more do you want?

STOP USING LOGIC! IT MAKES FOR A LOPSIDED DISCUSSION!

Nice post, I started formulating a response but then decided against it. These were all the points I was going to hit. Glad someone did it because I didn't have the energy this morning.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, CJ44 said:

A lot of people seem to be upset with my view of Benning (I'm not in the minority by the way):

So, you think you are in the majority here? Newsflash - the only majority that really matters is the majority owner, and he has spoken recently. So, you might need to re-evaluate your placement in minority/majority category.

• Haha 1

So I'm still laughing at how the negative posters are nowhere to be found this entire time. We've had nothing but good news, and yet they aren't here to nag about these signings.

Wtf Benning!!! Spend time signing Pettersson and Hughes!!!!!!1

On 6/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, drummerboy said:

The only thing you proved is your opinion differs from mine haha. 

Linden Vey was a 4th round (96th overall) draft pick and a perennial AHL player (yes he put up point in the AHL but lots of players do). So, you think giving up a 2nd round pick for a 4th round AHL player who played two partial seasons for us is a fair trade?? Yes, and I'm the one lacking hockey knowledge. 

You guys refuse to admit Benning isn't a saint. I'm not even saying he's terrible, simply pointing out his flaws...you guys get so uncomfortable talking about this unless it's looking through your rose colored glasses and saying everything's awesome. It takes years to rebuild a team thanks for stating the obvious, but we've been rebuilding since 2014....other teams have started rebuilds after us and have already surpassed us. All you've done is stated different opinions and haven't proved anything....learn the difference. 

The fact that you brought up COVID as a problem for Jim immediately discredits anything you said, that's a ridiculous - lazy argument. 

And your saying the Toffoli trade was worthwhile and letting him walk was a good call? You think we had good reason to trade future pieces (in the middle of a rebuild - as you stated this is a rebuild) for a player we had to let walk because we didn't have the cap? There is no good argument for that - this team wasn't in a position competitively or financially to trade for rental players....THAT'S NOT HOW YOU REBUILD A TEAM. Pull our heads out guys, it's ok to admit the team and GM has flaws, no room for hurt feelings here. It's also OK to admit some of Jim's moves are hurting this team and holding it back from being further ahead. That's just the truth. 

Edited by CJ44

On 6/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, drummerboy said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-fans-divided-gm-jim-benning

Not as in the minority as you think. 

How long does it take to rebuild a team? How long does Jim get? Why aren't we further ahead? Must be COVID's fault right? I guess 7 years is too tight of a window to rebuild ...you guys are completely ignoring  the big picture. But this is what CDC is known for , you get jumped on unless your blowing smoke up each other and saying cup or die next year.

Based on your opinion above, Jim has never made a bad trade OR free agent singing....that's amazing really, and still hasn't won GM of the year- that's crazy??. And still this team is where it is....but yes let's just keep saying all his work has been flawless because that's realistic. 

Edited by CJ44