Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CJ44 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-fans-divided-gm-jim-benning

 

Not as in the minority as you think. 

 

How long does it take to rebuild a team? How long does Jim get? Why aren't we further ahead? Must be COVID's fault right? I guess 7 years is too tight of a window to rebuild ...you guys are completely ignoring  the big picture. But this is what CDC is known for , you get jumped on unless your blowing smoke up each other and saying cup or die next year.

 

Based on your opinion above, Jim has never made a bad trade OR free agent singing....that's amazing really, and still hasn't won GM of the year- that's crazy??. And still this team is where it is....but yes let's just keep saying all his work has been flawless because that's realistic. 

 

 

60% of fans voting online liked Jims extension. I'd say thats not too bad. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim has done a lot of good things and a lot of things poorly.  Also kind of have to break his time up.  At first he was supposed to take a team with no prospects, a tonne of NMCs and was well past its prime and turn it back into a contender quickly before the Sedin's retired.  This was a miserable failure but an almost impossible task.

Then he goes into rebuild, sort of.  Has done a better job of that.  Got un-lucky in the draft and lucky on the floor.  Has done good at drafting and developing NHL talent but poorly at identifying and valuing veterans.

He isn't perfect, hasn't been an epic failure.  Personally I think more bad than good but does the most important thing well, drafts and develops.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

So Podkolzin eh?

 

Can't wait to see him at camp. Brings exactly what our F group needs more of. 

Honestly The best part of Podz coming over is you know he’ll get the ice time. No way green doesn’t like they way this kid plays.

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

60% of fans voting online liked Jims extension. I'd say thats not too bad. 

Yeah not terrible, that would be decent if he were a president or prime minster as far as approval ratings go. However that's closer then what it's lead on to be. I still haven't said he's terrible GM, simply that his track record isn't as fantastic as people on here are willing to admit that's all (other than the draft). But anything that questions or somewhat negative on here is like hate speech. But when you have people on here saying he's literally never made a bad trade or FA signing it's really a lost cause. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Yeah not terrible, that would be decent if he were a president or prime minster as far as approval ratings go. However that's closer then what it's lead on to be. I still haven't said he's terrible GM, simply that his track record isn't as fantastic as people on here are willing to admit that's all (other than the draft). But anything that questions or somewhat negative on here is like hate speech. But when you have people on here saying he's literally never made a bad trade or FA signing it's really a lost cause. 

Err doubt anyone is happy with some of his free agent signing cmon on. Find one person that is still happy about the erikkson contract lmao

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Yeah not terrible, that would be decent if he were a president or prime minster as far as approval ratings go. However that's closer then what it's lead on to be. I still haven't said he's terrible GM, simply that his track record isn't as fantastic as people on here are willing to admit that's all (other than the draft). But anything that questions or somewhat negative on here is like hate speech. But when you have people on here saying he's literally never made a bad trade or FA signing it's really a lost cause. 

Jim's a mixed bag for sure. He really pooped the bed on some UFA deals and early trades, but I'd say his drafting and last 2 years have been pretty solid. I like his RFA deals a lot. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Honestly The best part of Podz coming over is you know he’ll get the ice time. No way green doesn’t like they way this kid plays.

He will probably be Green’s favourite player…

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Who cares about green hes my favorite player already

Calm down Tony, we want Green to succeed.  If he doesn't then you have my permission to call Vinnie and Frankie to take care of the business...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's a mixed bag for sure. He really pooped the bed on some UFA deals and early trades, but I'd say his drafting and last 2 years have been pretty solid. I like his RFA deals a lot. 

For sure that's all I'm saying, some of his major whiffs in FA and trades are what's really holding the team back. Our drafting has been excellent in recent years, and is the only reason we have a great young nucleolus and are competitive. We just lack the support around them and the depth to take the next step - mostly because of some bad contracts and signings. If we keep drafting well and make some better decisions around that - the sky is the limit as long as the cap is managed better than it has been. Life long Canucks fan and always will be, I'm not typically negative, I pissed a few people off on here this week so I guess I need to tone it down haha.

Edited by CJ44
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Jim has done a lot of good things and a lot of things poorly.  Also kind of have to break his time up.  At first he was supposed to take a team with no prospects, a tonne of NMCs and was well past its prime and turn it back into a contender quickly before the Sedin's retired.  This was a miserable failure but an almost impossible task.

Then he goes into rebuild, sort of.  Has done a better job of that.  Got un-lucky in the draft and lucky on the floor.  Has done good at drafting and developing NHL talent but poorly at identifying and valuing veterans.

He isn't perfect, hasn't been an epic failure.  Personally I think more bad than good but does the most important thing well, drafts and develops.

Exactly, and I've never said he's been an epic failure, simply that quite a few bad contracts, trading away a lot of picks and signings are what's holding this ream back from taking the next step and it's not how you rebuild a team - trading for rental players like Toffoli is counter productive when rebuilding. We have a great young core but year after year struggle to build around them with support and depth because of cap issues. I've said numerous times it's not all bad with Jim, but I get jumped on as if I'm saying he's useless by people who refuse to admit he's made some pretty glaring bad choices and it does show in the ice (Jim has admitted this). The future however is very bright if we keep drafting and developing like we have, if you couple that with smarter FA signings and cap management this team is going to be very good.

Edited by CJ44
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think some folks disagree on how many or how 'bad' these whiffs are. Or which ones have had any meaningful, long term impact that negatively effects the club. 

 

Eriksson = MAJOR whiff.

 

Myers =  not a whiff, frequently painted as one. 

 

Sutter and Beagle are hard minute , key C position guys we had to keep/attract in the depth of a rebuild who are/we're each overpaid $1m. Inconsequential, VERY minor 'whiff' (I personally wouldn't even call them that).

 

Roussel was borderline 2nd line producing, elite pest, 2 way 3rd liner entirely worth his contract until unfortunately effected by a major knee injury. Not a whiff.

 

Same goes for Baer. Blindside, head injuries are not a GM's fault. Not a whiff.

 

Ferland was risky AF to sign. But if he was healthy, he'd look FANTASTIC on the club. Minor whiff.

 

Guys like MDZ were interim VGK expansion fodder to a rebuilding club that aren't here and have zero long term impact to cap. Literally doesn't matter. Not a whiff.

 

ANYWAY... back to Podkolzin...

Fair enough, back to Podkolzin indeed.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

For sure that's all I'm saying, some of his major whiffs in FA and trades are what's really holding the team back. Our drafting has been excellent in recent years, and is the only reason we have a great young nucleolus and are competitive. We just lack the support around them and the depth to take the next step - mostly because of some bad contracts and signings. If we keep drafting well and make some better decisions around that - the sky is the limit as long as the cap is managed better than it has been. Life long Canucks fan and always will be, I'm not typically negative, I pissed a few people off on here this week so I guess I need to tone it down haha.

Whats exciting to me about Podkolzin is I think unlike a lot of other rookies, this kid is going to be able to contribute physically even if he doesn't put up points right away, and can start filling in those support gaps. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Whats exciting to me about Podkolzin is I think unlike a lot of other rookies, this kid is going to be able to contribute physically even if he doesn't put up points right away, and can start filling in those support gaps. 

Podkolzin is going to fill a major role for sure, and a need which is a guy who brings energy and a hard nosed edge night in and night out. I think he makes this team next year honestly like Hoglander did - at least play some meaningful games. Third line to start, move him around based on what we see. I'm excited, excited to watch Rathbone as well liked what I saw from those handful of games. I know this, he's going to win puck battles, something we struggled with.

Edited by CJ44
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Exactly, and I've never said he's been an epic failure, simply that quite a few bad contracts, trading away a lot of picks and signings are what's holding this ream back from taking the next step and it's not how you rebuild a team - trading for rental players like Toffoli is counter productive when rebuilding. We have a great young core but year after year struggle to build around them with support and depth because of cap issues. I've said numerous times it's not all bad with Jim, but I get jumped on as if I'm saying he's useless by people who refuse to admit he's made some pretty glaring bad choices and it does show in the ice (Jim has admitted this). The future however is very bright if we keep drafting and developing like we have, if you couple that with smarter FA signings and cap management this team is going to be very good.

Haha, your fault for trying to be reasonable on the internet. It has to be extreme or your voice isn’t heard.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2021 at 1:34 AM, coryberg said:

This guy...

loui-eriksson-2020-39.jpg

Toffoli money wasted.

 

 

 

Edited by Me_
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...