The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Kesler never came close to 41 goals besides that one year in 2011. The rest of his career i think podz could definitely be like keslers 20-25 goals 60-70 points.

So wait… if Kesler got 41 goals in 2010-11, not only did he come close to 41 goals, but he got eXACTly 41 goals.

So I just wanted to point that one out.

• Hydration 1
Just now, Me_ said:

So wait… if Kesler got 41 goals in 2010-11, not only did he come close to 41 goals, but he got eXACTly 41 goals.

I meant to 41 again

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Kesler never came close to 41 goals besides that one year in 2011. The rest of his career i think podz could definitely be like keslers 20-25 goals 60-70 points.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Did you miss that part in the post or did you think he just arbitrarily pulled the number 41 out his posterior?

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Did you miss that part in the post or did you think he just arbitrarily pulled the number 41 out his posterior?

Oh I got that part bud.

”not even close” when he actually reached it…

Player X never came even close to winning the Stanley Cup, except that one year when he won the Stanley Cup…

Ya know?

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Oh I got that part bud.

”not even close” when he actually reached it…

Player X never came even close to winning the Stanley Cup, except that one year when he won the Stanley Cup…

Ya know?

Yeah, he’s clearly talking about the other years in Kesler’s career. 

Jonathon Cheechoo scored like 50 something goals once. It was an aberration. That was the point. 

• Hydration 3
23 hours ago, gurn said:

"Just because you score 20 goals one season, doesn't make you a 20 goal player"    Ray Ferraro

I think that's a narrow minded way of looking at things. Anyone who achieved 20 goals  (or whatever) is deserving of recognition.

• RoughGame 1
On 6/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

is Krutov the original "fat Jake"? 

He is probably the Russian contender for the title. It's kind of a shame for him, and his legacy as a player, that his time in Vancouver was how he is probably best remembered (even though he [played in Europe for a number of years after being in Vancouver). I do think of Krutiv when the topic of Tryamkin comes up, and are there any parallels there?

regards,  G.

27 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

He is probably the Russian contender for the title. It's kind of a shame for him, and his legacy as a player, that his time in Vancouver was how he is probably best remembered (even though he [played in Europe for a number of years after being in Vancouver). I do think of Krutiv when the topic of Tryamkin comes up, and are there any parallels there?

regards,  G.

While this guy wouldn’t be the original “fat Jake” he certainly is a contender in the race. Pat Falloon was drafted 2 OA after Eric Lindros by the Sharks in a draft full of big names and HOF’ers, Forsberg, Niedermeyer, Naslund, Kovalev, etc. After a decent start he was traded from team to team and soon out of the league. Early in his career he earned one of the leagues better nicknames, Fat Balloon, for his poor conditioning and lack of dedication.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

While this guy wouldn’t be the original “fat Jake” he certainly is a contender in the race. Pat Falloon was drafted 2 OA after Eric Lindros by the Sharks in a draft full of big names and HOF’ers, Forsberg, Niedermeyer, Naslund, Kovalev, etc. After a decent start he was traded from team to team and soon out of the league. Early in his career he earned one of the leagues better nicknames, Fat Balloon, for his poor conditioning and lack of dedication.

And let us not forget, Kyle Wellfed, who wasn't a bad 3C in his time here, he just wasn't all that consistent in his results.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think that's a narrow minded way of looking at things. Anyone who achieved 20 goals  (or whatever) is deserving of recognition.

Sure, you can say "PLAYER was a 20 goal scorer (one year)".

But we're talking about projecting what they'll score for you now. Thinking it's 20 goals because they did it once before is just plain dumb.

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Should we all be referring to eriksson as “30 goal scorer” or should be stick with “Little Things” and “Useless Waste of Cap”? 

Should we expect a bounce back year from him, in your learned opinion? Back to 30 goal form?

• RoughGame 1
9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

parallels.... maybe the culture shock part? 

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Should we all be referring to eriksson as “30 goal scorer” or should be stick with “Little Things” and “Useless Waste of Cap”? 

Should we expect a bounce back year from him, in your learned opinion? Back to 30 goal form?

Maybe in Allsvenskan... He can keep Dahlen's vacant spot warm in Timra.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dont think Krutov was a “student of the game”, so to speak. He was a product of a very strict disciplinarian philosophy, and when there was no fear of discipline, and ample opportunities for free will...

he couldnt cope, or better yet, he just didnt give a fook

• Vintage 1
22 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Maybe in Allsvenskan... He can keep Dahlen's vacant spot warm in Timra.

Its a contract year for him. You never know. Gotta make bank, bro. 

*insert random emojis that mean nothing but mean too much at the same time*

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It could well be. Krutov impressed me as being a good guy who was hoping to make a bit of change and then go home after a season or two. Makarov seemed to be kinda' similar, although he stuck it out for 5 - 6 seasons.

Larionov struck me as the guy who wanted to make bank and take advantage of everything available to him in North America (stress the "America" part). I believe he viewed the Canucks as a necessary evil in getting the brass ring, which was in the US, not Canada (Canadian dollar vs US buck, etc). I don't knock his playing time with the Canucks, but when he did leave it seemed to be pretty obvious (in 20/20 hindsight) that he didn't want to be here from the start.

regards,  G.

• Hydration 1
15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

15 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

And let us not forget, Kyle Wellfed, who wasn't a bad 3C in his time here, he just wasn't all that consistent in his results.

regards,  G.

lvaxnuhm81z61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, aGENT said:

Russian Messier, now with 100% less 'douche'!

Ok, so now we have our Swedish Gretzky (Petey), Russian Messier, American Coffey (Hughes), and American Kurri (Boeser).

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

It could well be. Krutov impressed me as being a good guy who was hoping to make a bit of change and then go home after a season or two. Makarov  seemed to be kinda' similar, although he stuck it out for 5 - 6 seasons.

Larionov struck me as the guy who wanted to make bank and take advantage of everything available to him in North America (stress the "America" part). I believe he viewed the Canucks as a necessary evil in getting the brass ring, which was in the US, not Canada (Canadian dollar vs US buck, etc). I don't knock his playing time with the Canucks, but when he did leave it seemed to be pretty obvious (in 20/20 hindsight) that he didn't want to be here from the start.

regards,  G.

All three of them were in their late 20's. Krutov, loved the food, actually ate the table. Just didn't comprehend the NHL style of hockey. He was on the ice for many two plus minute shifts much to the chagrin of his team mates. I think Larionov wanted to be here, he wanted to play with the best, but the Canucks weren't a good hockey team when he arrived. Had he stuck around until the '94 season, who knows what might have happened?

• Like 1