The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Vasili Podkolzin

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I actually jumped up and pumped my fist towards the sky when I read this! Best news of the year so far! Love this kid and think he is the real deal.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Everyone on this board is a fan of the team and loves it. Virtually every argument I end up on in this board is around posters denigrating other fans for their viewpoints.

This junior high immature clique mob mentality of “you only belong if you think and act like us” honestly needs to be shelved.

A fan can love the team and players and not like the job Benning has done.  A fan can love Green but think his assistant coaches need to be replaced.   Fan can exist in objective reality and still be hopeful.

It was patently obvious who started injecting negativity on this thread and it wasn’t the Vigneault guy... yet you are there with the mob trashing him because you agree with that negativity and not his response.

Good take on the whole thing

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ok, now you are just getting honestly silly.

“A higher chance” means a higher chance.  Chance = probability not a certainty.

Words literally have definitions, there are whole books devoted to explaining that.

The people who wanted us to lose a couple more meaningless games at the end of the season simply valued that higher chance more than the outcome of those games.  That is about looking forward in a positive way... not about trashing the team.

If you think Benning is a good amateur scout... then wanting him to have a higher chance of picking the player he wants seems pretty reasonable?

DF9EF01C-F396-4C97-AC83-1F7EE54CC963.jpeg

Guess this makes us less of a fan by having this POV in a losing season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's too much variability in who really is BPA in the draft for your theory to matter, though. You say a "higher chance" but you actually can't prove that. Others think playing to win builds character. I think there's more evidence for that, than BPA between 6 and 10 in an unpredictable draft. 

I don't know about that Jimmy

To me, when looking for that diamond, with a trained eye, I would imagine you would want as many chances as possible. Hence why people buy more than one set of lottery numbers win more often than a person that uses 1 set of numbers.

I have been reading through this conversation, and came up with this...........

GM's make decisions based on years

Coaches make decisions based on the day (game)

Players make decisions in the moment

I will say that as players play in the moment, they could never make an intentional decision that was not for the play and for the team to the best of their ability, unless corrupt in some way.

Coaches will coach with what the GM gives them, to a large degree, especially one that is playing for a contract, either with the team, or in free agency, so I see less chance of a coach, coaching to loose.

The GM however must make decisions based on what is best for the team in the big picture. I can also say, the players, were ready to pack it in, in every way, games before the end of the season. And they would never say it in the press or for the public, but they just wanted this season to finish. It was physically and mentally exhausting.

So, I don't think a GM is ever going to go to a coach and say lose this one for me. He could not guarantee it, but what the GM can do, is take a player out for health reason's or maintenance reason. Or promote prospects to get a look at them. These are things the coach will accept.

So, even when the Gm has sat players for maintenance, and promoted prospects for a game, it still does not guarantee a loss, but it does better the odds.

Personally, IMO, players are accepting of this to some extent in the final games, as they have gone through this at some time in their career. (Or talked to someone that has)

I do not think, a GM will sit so many players that it looks like an AHL team, IMO, that shows no respect to the players that have to suit up, so IMO, you can only enhance your chances to loosing a certain game. I would also say, that many times, the players just play harder, and they win the darn game anyways.

Do I think Benning could and should have played more rookies, yes, because he would have been able to get a read on their development. Do I think he should of sat players for maintenance, no. But for development, again yes. (But if I recall, they did some of that anyways)

In short, sure I would have preferred for us to lose one or 2 more games, and get a better draft position, but the draft field 1 through 10 is fairly flat this year, so we will get a good player at 9,10 or 11, but more inportantly we still have a chance at 1 and 2, so it's a crap shoot, and I will certainly be happy either way.

The time for crying is over! Now its time to cross your fingers. June 2nd, and on draft day!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know about that Jimmy

To me, when looking for that diamond, with a trained eye, I would imagine you would want as many chances as possible. Hence why people buy more than one set of lottery numbers win more often than a person that uses 1 set of numbers.

I have been reading through this conversation, and came up with this...........

GM's make decisions based on years

Coaches make decisions based on the day (game)

Players make decisions in the moment

I will say that as players play in the moment, they could never make an intentional decision that was not for the play and for the team to the best of their ability, unless corrupt in some way.

Coaches will coach with what the GM gives them, to a large degree, especially one that is playing for a contract, either with the team, or in free agency, so I see less chance of a coach, coaching to loose.

The GM however must make decisions based on what is best for the team in the big picture. I can also say, the players, were ready to pack it in, in every way, games before the end of the season. And they would never say it in the press or for the public, but they just wanted this season to finish. It was physically and mentally exhausting.

So, I don't think a GM is ever going to go to a coach and say lose this one for me. He could not guarantee it, but what the GM can do, is take a player out for health reason's or maintenance reason. Or promote prospects to get a look at them. These are things the coach will accept.

So, even when the Gm has sat players for maintenance, and promoted prospects for a game, it still does not guarantee a loss, but it does better the odds.

Personally, IMO, players are accepting of this to some extent in the final games, as they have gone through this at some time in their career. (Or talked to someone that has)

I do not think, a GM will sit so many players that it looks like an AHL team, IMO, that shows no respect to the players that have to suit up, so IMO, you can only enhance your chances to loosing a certain game. I would also say, that many times, the players just play harder, and they win the darn game anyways.

Do I think Benning could and should have played more rookies, yes, because he would have been able to get a read on their development. Do I think he should of sat players for maintenance, no. But for development, again yes. (But if I recall, they did some of that anyways)

In short, sure I would have preferred for us to lose one or 2 more games, and get a better draft position, but the draft field 1 through 10 is fairly flat this year, so we will get a good player at 9,10 or 11, but more inportantly we still have a chance at 1 and 2, so it's a crap shoot, and I will certainly be happy either way.

The time for crying is over! Now its time to cross your fingers. June 2nd, and on draft day!

thats all valid stuff, Jan. All I'm saying is there is too much inherent variability in "BPA" outside of the really elite guys for me to get worked up over 6 vs 9. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Please get back on track so we can keep one thread that's not about the bickering back and forth and the us vs them stuff.  We are all Canucks.

Sorry deb, you are totally right. Totally excited about Vasili............another key add for our championship team. 

PS, I posted my comments to Jimmy before I caught up to you last post.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

Vancouver has him listed at 6'1

KHL has him listed as 192cm - 6'2.9 / 6'3

IIHF had him listed at 6'4 

He's a big dude either way. Gained quite a bit of size after draft.

Podz walking in to the Canucks dressing room like:

gorilla hurrying GIF

I think his agent did an interview somewhere sometime during the season and said he’s more around 6’2’’

• Cheers 1