The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have $26.7mill and Change in cap space to work with. With 13 players signed so lets start there. Lets play a game

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

12 minutes ago, khay said:

I'd rather take a hit on top top 9 forward. I think we have plenty of young guys that can challenge for the spot next season and beyond.

I'd rather not sign a close to 30 year old guy to a 4 year contract and block the way of our prospects.

I don't disagree with you at all it is a perfectly acceptable opinion to have. IMO it is better to either go full in on a winger or a dman then to say well we could split the cap space and spend 2 mill on each position this in my opinion would be a terrible idea as it would give a team 2 mediocre players. I just think that we have more prospects that help the defense then we do on 3rd line wing right now. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Team just needs to keep showing forward progress IMO. To me that's still bubble playoff team next year (assuming no catastrophic injuries etc).

As I posted earlier :

Ideally we're able to draft a guy this summer (Clarke!?) and he and Woo can come in over the next 2+ years and replace a then expiring Myers and Hamonic.

Edler's a tough one. Ideally I'd have him back (even with Hamonic). And that may happen... Particularly if we move one of Juolevi or Rathbone for that (LEGIT) top pair RD you note (instead of a 'lowly' Mayfield, Jensen etc).

I'd hate to move either but you have to give to get and I think it's something to certainly consider.

Why does people want Edler back he is past his prime time to move on.

This thing where people get attached to players is so strange to me. Edler isn't the player he was and is on the decline he is 35 years old it is time to move on.

18 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This thing where people get attached to players is so strange to me. Edler isn't the player he was and is on the decline he is 35 years old it is time to move on.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we give edler first line minutes here, mate. If we can get Edler on a one year deal for a discount that's a win. He may not be the player he once was, but he can munch minutes on a third line pair any day. Plus we don't have to give anything up for him. 

Edited by Deets
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Deets said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting we give edler first line minutes here, mate. If we can get Edler on a one year deal for a discount that's a win. He may not be the player he once was, but he can munch minutes on a third line pair any day. Plus we don't have to give anything up for him. 

I am not saying first line mins either. 

We have prospects on the left side that can fill in Edlers spot.

Most would agree we need an upgrade on the right side D.

Even at 2 mill for next season it is to much. He would be filling a un-necessary spot. 

You say third line pair  what about guys like OJ and Rathbone. We need a guy who wont have a problem sitting games out not munching up mins. 

Edited by Arrow 1983

6 minutes ago, Deets said:

You didn't answer my question what is with the love affair.

I think it is just stupid nostalgic feeling. Next people will say we need to retire his number

• RoughGame 2

I have a question for those that want David Savard. How is he better than Hamonic honestly I wouldn't pay him much more then I would Hamonic he really IMO does not have much more upside than Hamonic. Plus Savard will be 31 at the beginning of the season.  I would go as far as to say Hamonic is better.

Edited by Arrow 1983

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya 3 young rising LD stars paired with good RD defenders is a terrible thing. They may struggle as they are young and inexperienced pairings but theres ton of potential there.

With that said if you could trade Schmidt and upgrade that side it would be huge.

3 young rising stars?? i'm guessing you have every single one of the canucks prospect a future mvp norris candidate.. Hughes is a rising star for sure but needs to work a bit on his defense positioning. the others? they haven't shown anything in the NHL level to suggest they are a rising star.. the defense is horrible next year and whatever goalie tandem we go with will need to stand on their head the entire season again.

6 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have said it before and will say it again Lind is a fringe player he will amount to nothing.

I would switch MacEwen for Gadj to rotate him in on the forth line with Highmore. 

Neither Lind or Gadj are 3rd line material Gadj has a chance but needs more time.

How can you write off Lind based on a few games played?  He was drafted 33rd overall, the 2nd pick in round 2.  He has offensive skills and has an edge to his game.  

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This is what I posted in the Edler thread:

On 5/27/2021 at 9:38 AM, aGENT said:

You need more than 6 legit NHL D IMO. Especially since a couple of ours are still very green kids (and none of whom are remotely ready to play the hard minute role Edler does)

Hamonic, a trade, or otherwise, we need the right D you mentioned. But we can still very much use a (reduced cap) Edler, ideally platooned with OJ and Rathbone.

That said, he's probably the last/a lower item on the to do list this summer. Way bigger fish to fry first with Hughes and Petey's contracts, the ED, trying to leverage the ED to trade for better F's and D to protect, buy out/ terminate Virtanen and maybe Eriksson, the draft, sort out what's happening with Beagle and Roussel (both on LTIR?), see if you can't move some LTIR for a player from a team needing to clear cap (Ferland for Palat or similar?), Find a bottom 6 C, etc, etc. 

Once all/most of that is taken care of we'll have a better picture on what we can afford for Edler and he can decide if he wants to come back under those terms. If not, we'll still need to sign another veteran LD IMO. In no way should Juolevi or Rathbone simply be handed those roster spots.

There's also the other scenario I noted with the other poster where we trade one of OJ/Rathbone for a right D. In that case, I'd very much want him back at an appropriate hit.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

How can you write off Lind based on a few games played?  He was drafted 33rd overall, the 2nd pick in round 2.  He has offensive skills and has an edge to his game.  

Pretty easy to be honest.

Seen to many of these WHL players do well in the AHL and then can't produce in the NHL. I don't value the WHL much for producing offensive talent. Defenseman yes but top line forwards not so much. He will become a fringe player easy to replace 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Seen to many of these WHL players do well in the AHL and then can't produce in the NHL. I don't value the WHL much for producing offensive talent. Defenseman yes but top line forwards not so much. He will become a fringe player easy to replace 

Way too early to decide that.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is what I posted in the Edler thread:

There's also the other scenario I noted with the other poster where we trade one of OJ/Rathbone for a right D. In that case, I'd very much want him back at an appropriate hit.

Their to young to gain anything of substance and to old to say they are true prospects they need to play now

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You didn't answer my question what is with the love affair.

I think it is just stupid nostalgic feeling. Next people will say we need to retire his number

I didn't want to answer your silly question, but because you insist... ?"

Our Alternate captain, Alex Edler, is the all time leading points holder for any Canuck defenseman in history. He has played his whole career for the Canucks while being a leader in the locker room to our young players and can still fill a secondary role. He has shown he can be relied on when it counts and as a third line defenseman that we don't have to give anything up. It would be an easy choice if we can get a short term deal on the cheap.

How about you answer another question. How long have you been a Canucks fan, son? You should learn to respect your Edlers.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

For you yes for me I wouldn't make even the smallest bet on him. Throw him in a trade now because that's what he is ever going to be worth a toss in piece 

Have the winning lotto numbers too? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deets said:

Our Alternate captain, Alex Edler, is the all time leading points holder for any Canuck defenseman in history. He has played his whole career for the Canucks while being a leader in the locker room to our young players and can still fill a secondary role. He has shown he can be relied on when it counts and as a third line defenseman that we don't have to give anything up. It would be an easy choice if we can get a short term deal on the cheap.

How about you answer another question. How long have you been a Canucks fan, son? You should learn to respect your Edlers.

No respect for aging players he won't help us win today. I am a guy who would have traded the Sedins if they didn't have a no trade clause.

25 plus years as a Canuck fan.

Edler most points who cares so he was here long time and Canuck defenseman have sucked Hughes will beat his record in under 10 years

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Although I disagree with your valuation of Lind, I do agree that it’s important for the GM to make a decision early (like now for Lind) whether a player is part of the team’s future.  If the player isn’t, then move him for draft capital.   I like Lind though, and think he will be a really good bottom six player.  As he gains confidence we will see his natural rat tendencies.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Although I disagree with your valuation of Lind, I do agree that it’s important for the GM to make a decision early (like now for Lind) whether a player is part of the team’s future.  If the player isn’t, then move him for draft capital.   I like Lind though, and think he will be a really good bottom six player.  As he gains confidence we will see his natural rat tendencies.  

He will be another JV, disappointment from the WHL

7 minutes ago, Deets said:

These love affairs kill teams

Linden trade got us Bertuzzi and the Sedins. So yup let's keep Linden till he is worth nothing

• RoughGame 1