The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Pass on RHN.  Latest rumor is Oilers not offering a penny more than $7M.  Too rich for my blood.

Surprised they’re even offering 7.

Hes worth 6 max. Not a player you overpay for.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm appalled at the thought of Canucks paying 7+ mil for n years to RNH where n >= 5.

If he comes here, he is going to be the 6th best forward on this team next season.

EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller are already better than RNH but gets paid less. One could make argument that Hoglander is and will be better than RNH starting next season. And Podkolzin may also pass RNH in a year or two.

Stay away as far as possible. I'd say RNH at 5 or less is a good signing though.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:54 AM, fanfor42 said:

Alf

We clearly have money for RNH or a UFA defenceman like a Larsson but not likely both.  So for next year it is a choice.  The year after there is more money to add again.

This year Sutter and Edler out, Holtby and Virt bought out, LE and Rouss sent down and there is about 10.5M to sign 5 players.  One of which can be at about 6M one backup goalie at 1.5 to 2.0  and the rest lower end.

So I am in favor of talking to RNH if he makes it to free agency and seeing what he wants.  We don't give up any picks or prospects and we get better IMO.

Yikes.

6 mil for a 3C? I don't like the idea of paying any 3C, more money than 2C Horvat.

Nothing against RNH, I think he is a good player. He has put up 50+ points consistently in this league. But if he comes here, it can't be more than players that will do more than him like Miller and Horvat.

Paying 6+ mil for the next 5 or whatever long term deal we give to RNH has the makings of another Loui Eriksson.

I don't know how you arrived at 10.5 mil but if we only have 10.5 mil to sign 5 players, we cannot spend 6 mil on 3C when there is RD positions that need to be filled. 

A chain (team) is as strong as its weakest link. If our back up and the depth around the lineup is filled with AHL players because we pay 6+ mil for RNH, I don't think we are going to be very successful next season.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:49 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

I just hope edmonton gets worse whatever they do this offseason cause they suck!!!

Signing RNH to 7.5 mil for 8 years would be a good start for Edmonton towards turning your hope into reality.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yikes.

6 mil for a 3C? I don't like the idea of paying any 3C, more money than 2C Horvat.

Nothing against RNH, I think he is a good player. He has put up 50+ points consistently in this league. But if he comes here, it can't be more than players that will do more than him like Miller and Horvat.

Paying 6+ mil for the next 5 or whatever long term deal we give to RNH has the makings of another Loui Eriksson.

I don't know how you arrived at 10.5 mil but if we only have 10.5 mil to sign 5 players, we cannot spend 6 mil on 3C when there is RD positions that need to be filled. 

A chain (team) is as strong as its weakest link. If our back up and the depth around the lineup is filled with AHL players because we pay 6+ mil for RNH, I don't think we are going to be very successful next season.

This post is really poorly thought out partner.  First of all RNH is 28 and we will pitch him 4 or 5 years at 5.5 or 6.  If it doesn't fly c'est la vie.  Lui signed 6x6 at 30.  completely different.

The point of my posting is that RNH is a free asset who can get 50 pts a year and on that basis alone is worth considering.  You want to give up picks and prospects to bring someone in?  I don't. We need to keep our 1st this year and next. That means no chasing Rinehart or Jones. RNH makes it 8 of our top 9 is in place.

I would check into RNH cuz he is free. I would also check into Risto in buffalo who can probably be achieved with a 2nd and minor prospect.  It's an either or for those two. So you add a solid top 9 contributor or you add a top pairing D for Hughes.  One or the other depending on what JB can pull off.

As for the cap do your homework.  There is room for either one of those after Demko's new deal and re-signing Petey and Quinn and adding Podz.

crazy that Nuge is already 28 with 10 NHL seasons. I wouldn't call him a bust but a pretty underwhelming career for a 1st overall pick. Huberdeau was pretty similar his first few years but really took massive strides and quietly has become a top 15 even top 10 offensive talent in the NHL (7th in points past three seasons combined)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Crazy to think $7M is the negotiating range.  His $6M was a bit much.  But $5M seems to be the right range/fit (especially with a flat cap for the next few years).

So pass.  Unless he wants to take a home town discount. 

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

This post is really poorly thought out partner.  First of all RNH is 28 and we will pitch him 4 or 5 years at 5.5 or 6.  If it doesn't fly c'est la vie.  Lui signed 6x6 at 30.  completely different.

The point of my posting is that RNH is a free asset who can get 50 pts a year and on that basis alone is worth considering.  You want to give up picks and prospects to bring someone in?  I don't. We need to keep our 1st this year and next. That means no chasing Rinehart or Jones. RNH makes it 8 of our top 9 is in place.

I would check into RNH cuz he is free. I would also check into Risto in buffalo who can probably be achieved with a 2nd and minor prospect.  It's an either or for those two. So you add a solid top 9 contributor or you add a top pairing D for Hughes.  One or the other depending on what JB can pull off.

As for the cap do your homework.  There is room for either one of those after Demko's new deal and re-signing Petey and Quinn and adding Podz.

Your post is pretty delusional.

There are other options in the UFA market that are cheaper and can serve the role of 3C. Taking a flyer on RNH is fine and if he wants to come for 5.5 great. 

But unless you are RNH's family or friend, how do you know if RNH will take a discount? Him taking discount at 5.5 or even 6 sounds like a pipe dream on your part.

I did my homework regarding the cap. But you threw out a number (10.5) without showing your work. Ever learn in math class that you need to show your work?

Btw, I think we have more than 10.5 even after signing EP and QH. 

And here's my work, care to show yours?

We have 14 mil now + 7 mil if Beagle and Ferland on LTIR and about 6 if Holtby and Virtanen are bought out. About 27 mil, 12-13 mil will go to EP + QH. About 13-14 mil to sign a 3C, 4C, RHD, back up goalie and maybe a depth defence signing.

I don't think it's 3C or RD, I think we can get both. But we can't upgrade both if we sign RNH at 6 or higher unless we fill the rest of the roster with fringe NHL players. So, I'd rather go for a UFA 3C at 4-4.5 at 4 years or less plus get an RD to partner with Hughes at around 5 mil.

Ristolainen for 2nd + minor prospect? Really? Just because Buffalo sucks, doesn't mean they are going to sell everyone of value at a discount. 

Stop dreaming. Stop making up reasons as to why teams will trade valuable assets at discounts or why a UFA would take 1-2 million dollars less just because it's hometown. 

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to check. Let's check if MacKinnon can be had for our 2021 1st too while we are checking.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Your post is pretty delusional.

There are other options in the UFA market that are cheaper and can serve the role of 3C. Taking a flyer on RNH is fine and if he wants to come for 5.5 great. 

But unless you are RNH's family or friend, how do you know if RNH will take a discount? Him taking discount at 5.5 or even 6 sounds like a pipe dream on your part.

I did my homework regarding the cap. But you threw out a number (10.5) without showing your work. Ever learn in math class that you need to show your work?

Btw, I think we have more than 10.5 even after signing EP and QH. 

And here's my work, care to show yours?

We have 14 mil now + 7 mil if Beagle and Ferland on LTIR and about 6 if Holtby and Virtanen are bought out. About 27 mil, 12-13 mil will go to EP + QH. About 13-14 mil to sign a 3C, 4C, RHD, back up goalie and maybe a depth defence signing.

I don't think it's 3C or RD, I think we can get both. But we can't upgrade both if we sign RNH at 6 or higher unless we fill the rest of the roster with fringe NHL players. So, I'd rather go for a UFA 3C at 4-4.5 at 4 years or less plus get an RD to partner with Hughes at around 5 mil.

Ristolainen for 2nd + minor prospect? Really? Just because Buffalo sucks, doesn't mean they are going to sell everyone of value at a discount. 

Stop dreaming. Stop making up reasons as to why teams will trade valuable assets at discounts or why a UFA would take 1-2 million dollars less just because it's hometown. 

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to check. Let's check if MacKinnon can be had for our 2021 1st too while we are checking.

This type of post is insulting.  I assume that you are having a bad day so I won't take it personally.

Risto is a UFA in a year.  He will be dealt as he has expressed to Buff that he does not want to return.  They will either deal him this summer or wait until the trade deadline during the season.

The value of a rental like Toffoli is often a 2nd plus a prospect and maybe a 4th if the candidate re-signs.  Risto is not in much of a different category.

Also, I simply said we should check into it.  If it requires a 1st to pry him away then we pass.  We need to keep our 1sts.

When fans are spitballing ideas it is more useful to go back and forth without insults and attacking the poster.  I assume you know this and are just  choosing to be grumpy so I'll let it go.

My thoughts are valid and either RNH or Risto could become Canucks in the near future.  Let's see.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This type of post is insulting.  I assume that you are having a bad day so I won't take it personally.

Risto is a UFA in a year.  He will be dealt as he has expressed to Buff that he does not want to return.  They will either deal him this summer or wait until the trade deadline during the season.

The value of a rental like Toffoli is often a 2nd plus a prospect and maybe a 4th if the candidate re-signs.  Risto is not in much of a different category.

Also, I simply said we should check into it.  If it requires a 1st to pry him away then we pass.  We need to keep our 1sts.

When fans are spitballing ideas it is more useful to go back and forth without insults and attacking the poster.  I assume you know this and are just  choosing to be grumpy so I'll let it go.

My thoughts are valid and either RNH or Risto could become Canucks in the near future.  Let's see.

I just think that your proposals seem overly hopeful. As you said, let's see.

Apologies if I came off as insulting. Reading it again, it sure could have been taken as such.

18 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

we don't need him. We can wait for the 2022 UFA's.  much better players.  He's worth 3x3 max.  He doesn't bring much to any team.

The nuge was nearly a point per a game player 2 back, nearly 70 point 3 back, and still picked up respectable numbers last year. He has also vastly improved his defensive game in the last number of years from what I have gathered. He's a good player. I'm not avocating we offer him 7 mil, but he is surely worth much more then 3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Big fan of Nuge. Not a big fan of the contract JB would have to give to get him. 

Glad to hear it.  The guy is a great player and teammate and the Canucks would do well to sign him - at the right price.

Thing is he lives here, has plenty of family and friends here and is looking for a great situation for the balance of his career.  He will come here for less than he will go elsewhere.  Having said that he might sign somewhere else for 7, which would be a mistake for Vancouver to agree to.  But he just might come here for a home town discount -  Let's see.

Personally, I'm OK with the Canucks offering RNH money in the Miller or Horvat range, if only to maintain an internal cap structure.

The internal cap structure that Gillis instilled while he was the Canucks' GM was one of the reasons why the team was able to build very competitive teams for several years.  He deviated from that with the Mats Sundin signing (his first major UFA signing) but that had a very specific purpose and was for a limited term.

My assumption is that the preference for the Canucks is to sign Hughes and Pettersson to bridge deals but even with a bridge deal, I'm not expecting the cap hit to be low.  Barzal is the most likely comparable (IMHO) to Pettersson unless he signs an offer sheet (which unfortunately is possible). 

Hughes is harder to pin down.  I hope Hughes doesn't get the Chabot treatment ($8M cap hit on his first deal after his entry level deal expired) but that deal bought all of his RFA years so he goes straight to UFA.  If the Canucks are willing to gamble, then maybe that gets shaved down a bit on a bridge deal but that will mean exposing Hughes as an RFA who will be eligible for an offer sheet.

Whatever the case is, I assume Hughes and Pettersson will set the upper limit of $ so a UFA like RNH should get money at a tier below their level.  RNH has not been the franchise player that people hoped for when he was drafted 1st overall but I think he's still a very good player.

Would I prefer Reinhart over RNH?  To some degree yes since Reinhart has proven to be a solid player and is a fair bit younger.  Reinhart isn't only going to cost $ however, he's going to cost assets, assets which the Canucks can't really afford to give up right now.  For that reason, if the Canucks can sign RNH to a deal like the one above, then I think that helps to flesh out their top-9 quite well since RNH is a versatile player who can play at C and W which can help the Canucks keep Miller with Pettersson or keep a talented scoring winger (RNH) with Pettersson while moving Miller down to 3C.  The team clearly needs more talent further down the line-up, which signing RNH would help accomplish IMHO.

At the end of the day, if RNH signs for $7M somewhere else, then I would be glad that the Canucks did not sign him.  If RNH is willing to sign a deal that fits within the Canucks' cap structure, then I'm all for it. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1