The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm talking about guys like Mayfield (NYI), Manson (ANA) or Jensen (WAS) FWIW. Trade for one of them (ED as a pressure point) and re-up Hamonic. We easily have the space for that.

Hughes, Mayfield/Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield/Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi, Myers

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

People dump on Nonis but the guy basically chose to lose his job over sacrificing the future. Tons of pressure to trade for Brad Richards in TB. The asking price was Schneids, Kesler, and LB. Nonis said no and people kept calling him "No Nuts".

I've also seen that rumor with Edler in Bourdon's place.  Regardless, Nonis doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves for his work.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Isn't signing RNH kinda like the Oilers and Leafs structure?

Having good Forwards, but having less of  good Defense,(which wins Cups)?

We have some scoring forwards and can integrate cheaper complimentary players with them

I would rather see our defense get stronger rather than spend more cap on other expensive forwards right now

We seem to have 2 young good goaltenders already

Guys like Nuge will eventually get squeezed hard, due to a flat cap. Philly, Minny, Hogtown..these teams that used to throw $$$ at problems, now have throwaway-players on problem $$$.

IF we are patient & strict with the cap(that will soon be opening), greater opportunities than this guy will present themselves. Not a bad player, but 1st OA from a pretty weak class.

IF this type really wants a payday, they'll likely have to go to a cellar-dweller(NJ, CBJ or Det?) that has space to maybe overpay.

1 hour ago, naslund.is.king said:

Like Jones i don't see RNH wanting to come play for the Canucks.

Moneys one thing but aside from that i don't see either wanting to jump on another rebuilding team

Jones and RNH might very likely be teammates next year.  CBJ needs a playmaking centre for Laine, and I could see them going after the “Nuge”.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

People dump on Nonis but the guy basically chose to lose his job over sacrificing the future. Tons of pressure to trade for Brad Richards in TB. The asking price was Schneids, Kesler, and LB. Nonis said no and people kept calling him "No Nuts".

Good post. I love Bert but he was on the down hill and Nonis traded Bertuzzi for rising star in Luongo. And he drafted well. I think 2004-2006 were his drafts and 

2004: Edler, Schneider, Hansen

2005: Raymond and Bourdon (RIP -- he would have eliminated the need to trade for Ballard, so we could have used that 1st rounder to address other needs. And we would have had deeper defence in 2011 and 2012)

2006: Grabner -- at the end of the day, he was a 30 goal scorer.

And by not trading for Richards, he allowed younger guys to make their way up and set the franchise up for the most successful period in its history.

Now, we gotta learn from it and give young guys chance to come through rather than signing or trading for a big name. This is not the year for that.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Yep.  JB is shaping up to be Burke and Nonis all rolled up into one.   MG came in, after Burke's cap finally went away and looked to some like a "superhero" for bringing in Sundin with all the extra cap for one year (not me).  Luongo, Edler, Schneider and Raymond and Hansen.   Added something anyways.   Especially Luongo.   Just hope JB has the balls to do what is right. 

Edited by IBatch

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations
4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is an important point. But how to we make the cap space?

Would we be a better team signing Nuge, then trading Miller for an actual top pairing d? (assuming a good fit was out there)

This is true. But I would find it hard to say bye to Miller   really like the guy 

• Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Pretty sure i read a report that RNH already turned down a massive deal from EDM.   Maybe he wants out.  But have serious doubts the market will match 6 - 6.5 x 5 which it was reported to be. 

You never know maybe a team like Seattle would be willing to match or surpass whatever Edmonton’s real offer is to bring in some top 6 talent through the FA market. I don’t think RNH is worth that price tag but some bottom feeder team could throw some money at him.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

He will get more on the open market than I would be willing to pay... but if he comes home for 4.5mil per I would be all over it.

Could see Seattle swooping in and taking him in the ED though.

He's already turned down a lot more money over five years.   But think he could be this years Jake Gardiner.   As in goes into free agency expecting a lot more then he ends up getting.   EDM should cut bait at 6-6.5 x 5 and if we had the money we should also stay away.   Okposo...Laad....Backes..LE...Skinner..Foligno etc... just not a great idea 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Even if RNH accepts a paycut, I don’t think he’s the type of player we need. 

They team needs better defensive structure. A guy like Phillip Danault would be perfect. Would be 3C even strength on paper, but get lots of match-up minutes. And then be 1st unit PK and 2nd unit PP. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

You never know maybe a team like Seattle would be willing to match or surpass whatever Edmonton’s real offer is to bring in some top 6 talent through the FA market. I don’t think RNH is worth that price tag but some bottom feeder team could throw some money at him.

Seattle won't bite on any UFAs, just like Vegas did - because that player could whisper sweet things but then just hit the open market - they won't waste a spot on an actual roster player or decent prospect.    Looks like early models have their high paid forwards as Pavelski and Palat.   Plus Francis has already said he was going to keep the cap low so other deals could be made later.   In other words they could take a third liner or second pairing D or high end prospect - and still sign RNH.   Think that's what your saying too.   Maybe Seattle for sure.   Seattle will be in the cat birds seat as far as being able to afford him anyways right? 

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Even if RNH accepts a paycut, I don’t think he’s the type of player we need. 

They team needs better defensive structure. A guy like Phillip Danault would be perfect. Would be 3C even strength on paper, but get lots of match-up minutes. And then be 1st unit PK and 2nd unit PP. 

MTL offered Denault 6 years at 30.   That's one expensive 3C.  He's turned it down. 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

MTL offered Denault 6 years at 30.   That's one expensive 3C.  He's turned it down. 

I dont see Danault wanting, as a UFA, to actively choose being a 3rd line C on a weak team while taking a lower cap hit than he turned down from Montreal. He likely thinks he is more than that and will probably be able to get a good contract and fit.