The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations

1 hour ago, BPA said:

If Green decides to have Miller at a centre, l would not mind RNH slotting in as LW in the top 6.  $5M x 5yr.

I'd want a faster and more physical guy if I'm paying 5 mil.

RNH doesn't really fill the holes that we have.

I'd rather use 5 mil to upgrade our RD.

• Cheers 2

Lol we're suggesting to go after this guy for 5m+ when we didn't sign Toffoli for 4.25?  That's after seeing him put up 10 pts in 10 games after the trade deadline and seeing he clearly is an impact player??? 

Compare Nugent Hopkins and Toffoli this year and I can only shake my head. 

If Benning wanted to go cost conservative, then continue that path. Don't all of a sudden spend more on a lesser player

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean Reinhart and Domi combined make as much as Eriksson and Holtby.

It all depends what we’re able to do with buyouts, the expansion draft, and contract terminations. We could have a decent amount of cap.

If Benning is true about being aggressive then we need to make a couple big moves like Montreal did last summer.

Reinhart Pettersson Boeser

Domi Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Miller Podkolzin 

Motte Beagle Lockwood/Lind/Highmore

Two big moves and our top 9 is looking amazing.

i was pushing for Domi for the 3C job.
but i won't spend all my dollars on both Reinhart and Domi. target one of the two (Domi in my case) then adress the dcorp (with Savard, Larsson...) and re-sign Hamonic.

this is my roster for 21 22

Miller Pettersson Podkolzin

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Pearson Domi Lockwood

Motte Beagle Highmore

Graovac

Hughes Savard

Schmidt Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

Juolevi

Demko

DiPietro

i wish we could explore a Schmidt trade. at almost 6M, i don't think he's done that well. but hey , lets say its a new system on a messed season and give him a last look.

• Upvote 1

I don't want us spending on bottom 6 players anymore. Just get the most cost effective players for the bottom 6, and have them play shut down roles if they have to. Save the money entirely for defense. We struggled A LOT in that area.

• Cheers 2

I would have no interest in RNH. Zero. 

In terms of maximizing their cap space and player value, Miller should remain at center IMHO. Likely better value acquiring two wingers via trade (expansion)/UFA/etc. than overspending on a 3C. Given COVID, likely some one year show me deals will be available again this off season. This way the team has two strong tandums in the top six and a strong checking line. They should go full youth and energy on the fourth line. It also allows Petey to not have to face the top checking line all the time.

They need a partner for Hughes so that should be the number one priority. Then they need to focus on adding two wingers via UFA/trade/expansion trade/draft pick/etc. Not an easy task but I think going this route gives them a much deeper team.

NEW-Miller-Boeser

NEW-Petey-Hogs

Pearson-Bo-Pod

Motte/Highmore/Lind/etc

Huges - NEW

Schmidt - Hamonic

Rathbone/etc. - Myers

Demko

NEW

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I would have no interest in RNH. Zero. 

In terms of maximizing their cap space and player value, Miller should remain at center IMHO. Likely better value acquiring two wingers via trade (expansion)/UFA/etc. than overspending on a 3C. Given COVID, likely some one year show me deals will be available again this off season. This way the team has two strong tandums in the top six and a strong checking line. They should go full youth and energy on the fourth line. It also allows Petey to not have to face the top checking line all the time.

They need a partner for Hughes so that should be the number one priority. Then they need to focus on adding two wingers via UFA/trade/expansion trade/draft pick/etc. Not an easy task but I think going this route gives them a much deeper team.

NEW-Miller-Boeser

NEW-Petey-Hogs

Pearson-Bo-Pod

Motte/Highmore/Lind/etc

Huges - NEW

Schmidt - Hamonic

Rathbone/etc. - Myers

Demko

NEW

Where does Edler fit in your roster ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

21 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Canucks passing on him ?

I think with Benning and Green sticking around its pretty likely Edler gets re-signed.

While our hearts should love the loyalty to him, our heads should not.

Edler has slowed considerably. As a 3rd pairing guy on a 1 year deal at 1.5 million, sure why not? At anything more than that, and with the intense likelihood that if he stays he will again be overused by Green for 20 plus minutes per game as our shutdown guy, its just making one of Juolevi or Rathbone bit players. 

If Benning re-signs Edler before the expansion draft and protects him (or Hamonic for that matter) it is terrible asset management.

Benning should be taking advantage of his D protection slots and looking to try to trade for a younger RHD from a team that will lose a good one for nothing. 

If I was in the GM seat, I would be looking to take advantage of several of those trades, protect the guys you get back, and take the calculated risk of exposing Pearson and Myers. No chance Seattle takes either imo. If they do, you are only losing one and get significant cap to replace them.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think with Benning and Green sticking around its pretty likely Edler gets re-signed.

While our hearts should love the loyalty to him, our heads should not.

Edler has slowed considerably. As a 3rd pairing guy on a 1 year deal at 1.5 million, sure why not? At anything more than that, and with the intense likelihood that if he stays he will again be overused by Green for 20 plus minutes per game as our shutdown guy, its just making one of Juolevi or Rathbone bit players. 

If Benning re-signs Edler before the expansion draft and protects him (or Hamonic for that matter) it is terrible asset management.

Benning should be looking to try to trade for a younger RHD from a team that will lose a good one for nothing. 

Ditto and preferably all our FA's will walk.