The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is an important point. But how to we make the cap space?

Would we be a better team signing Nuge, then trading Miller for an actual top pairing d? (assuming a good fit was out there)

Nope, Miller is the better player. Unlike Nuge, Miller can play both PP and PK, and can be the driver on any line you put him on. Not too mention he's getting paid less on what Nuge is probably going to want

13 hours ago, khay said:

Pass unless we can sign him around 5 mil. He's a good player if we can get him on a bargain deal but don't think there is such thing as bargain UFA, well unless the player wants to come home like Dan Hamhuis, Willie Mitchell.

We have two major holes to fill in 3C and RD as well as smaller holes to fill on the bottom 6.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Hog

Motte-3C-Podkolzin

Highmore-4C-4RW

If we spend 6 mil on RNH to fill 3C, that takes away money to fill the rest of the roster.

Ideally, we are looking for a 3C at around 4 mil (Sutter money) and look to re-sign Sutter (or equivalent player) at around 2 mil to replace Beagle (LTIR).

4RW can be filled from within (Graovac can be moved to wing or Lind may take a step).

A hail mary of a prediction here, but since I really like the idea of Miller anchoring a line at centre, I have a hunch that somehow Motte works his way up to the top 6 unexpectedly like Alex Burrows

• Vintage 1
41 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

A hail mary of a prediction here, but since I really like the idea of Miller anchoring a line at centre, I have a hunch that somehow Motte works his way up to the top 6 unexpectedly like Alex Burrows

I hope not. As a bottom 6 guy, Motte is fantastic. He even has a bit of offensive upside. But asking him to be a consistent top 6 offensive contributor is just setting him up for failure and not in the best interests of the team.

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I’m not convinced by Miller’s two-way utility at centre. I think he’s a better defensive player (and overall threat) on the wing, but can get exposed at centre, as far as his play off the puck. Maybe that would improve with a more consistent deployment down the middle, but I saw a fair amount of issues with his defensive play at centre this past season.

I do see the attraction, however, given our roster construction, and how Miller can give us a solid C “spine” in the top-9 (Petey, Bo, JT), but I still prefer looking to acquire a 3C, and keeping Miller at LW with Pettersson. I just think there’s more value their, at least individually, when it comes to maximizing Miller’s contributions, as well as making that top line the best it can be.

But if we're looking at a hole at 3C, or a forward corps that only offers two scoring lines, I suppose it makes sense to move Miller to centre a third line, and create a more potent overall top-9.

It just isn’t my first choice. 

I’m not saying it’s awful. It’s just more of a plan B or plan C, for me.

I suppose it also depends on the wingers. Some of Miller’s deficiencies at C could be mitigated with the right support. And like I said earlier, he might also tighten up his defensive game, with more consistent usage down the middle (and the benefit of more practice and coaching).

TL;DR: I think JT Miller is a better winger than center. ;) 

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Unlike Nuge, Miller can play both PP and PK

RNH actually is, somewhat surprisingly, a pretty effective PKer. He’s led Oilers forwards in PKTOI over the past three seasons and proven fairly efficient in that role.

Special teams (both PK and PP) are arguably more of his strengths, compared to his 5v5 play (which can be a little underwhelming, at least for a player of his pedigree and salary).

I’m not arguing for signing him, but if RNH were to join the Canucks, he’d probably help our PK.

(And, of course, he’s a very capable power play option. His overall man advantage numbers are actually quite comparable to JT Miller’s.)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

RNH actually is, somewhat surprisingly, a pretty effective PKer. He’s led Oilers forwards in PKTOI over the past three seasons and proven fairly efficient in that role.

Special teams (both PK and PP) are arguably more of his strengths, compared to his 5v5 play (which can be a little underwhelming, at least for a player of his pedigree and salary).

I’m not arguing for signing him, but if RNH were to join the Canucks, he’d probably help our PK.

(And, of course, he’s a very capable power play option. His overall man advantage numbers are actually quite comparable to JT Miller’s.)

Leading anything Oilers isn’t a feat in any way.

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

On the other side of that coin, if Motte is a too 6, the Canucks are in trouble.

Edited by Me_
1 minute ago, Me_ said:

On the other aide of that coin, if Motte is a too 6, the Canucks are in trouble.

Motte is a great player but I see him more in the honey badger mold, bottom 6 player with upside, in the right circumstances can be moved up the line to fix a specific need but is not a top level scorer but a player you want eating up hard minutes 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
4 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

"the Sedins will sign soon to play next year and then will be added to a blockbuster trade with Roussel and Erickson"

-Farhan 

I bet they can still play.

$1,000,000/yr ea on the third line.

No pressure.

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

PODKOLZIN - PETTERSSON - HÖGLANDER

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - MOTTE

ROUSSEL - BEAGLE - McEWEN

38 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I bet they can still play.

$1,000,000/yr ea on the third line.

No pressure.

MILLER - HORVAT - BOESER

PODKOLZIN - PETTERSSON - HÖGLANDER

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - MOTTE

ROUSSEL - BEAGLE - McEWEN

I would switch MacEwen with Motte. 

Beagle - Motte - Rooster have been amazing together when they have all been healthy.

MacEwen can stand in front of the net and crash the boards.

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

Schmidt has a 10-team no-trade list. I promise you that Buffalo is on it.

for sure. Buffalo is a major reason why players want NTCs. 

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Nope, Miller is the better player. Unlike Nuge, Miller can play both PP and PK, and can be the driver on any line you put him on. Not too mention he's getting paid less on what Nuge is probably going to want

it was more are we better off with a top 4 RHD for Miller + Nuge vs. just Miller, compared to what we have now. Unless we're moving Miller for a true top pairing RHD I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was more are we better off with a top 4 RHD for Miller + Nuge vs. just Miller, compared to what we have now. Unless we're moving Miller for a true top pairing RHD I don't think so. 

Outside of our youth, Miller is the only Canucks I want out there.

22 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is an important point. But how to we make the cap space?

Would we be a better team signing Nuge, then trading Miller for an actual top pairing d? (assuming a good fit was out there)

RNH is not that great, rather have Miller for playoffs than the skinny kid.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
20 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I'd love to see him here if he'd consider Vancouver. Thinking he'd probably prefer a win-now mentality team as he enters his prime but who knows.

Nuge is such a soft player, cant believe some fans here want him. We need more of Podkolzin or Miller types. Nuge disappears in playoffs and barely puts up points in an oilers team that has McDavid and Draisaitl.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Outside of our youth, Miller is the only Canucks I want out there.

you'd have to trade Miller for an absolute beast of a RHD to make it worth it to us. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you'd have to trade Miller for an absolute beast of a RHD to make it worth it to us. 

My morning dyslexia had me misreading “RHD” as “RNH” and I was about to have some serious issues with Jimmy here. :lol:

• Haha 2

No thanks. Don't need Grinder Nugent Hopkins taking up valuable cap space. I'd rather us gun for Seth Jones or Sam Reinhart. I feel the Canucks need another strong right handed forward if we are going that route.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My morning dyslexia had me misreading “RHD” as “RNH” and I was about to have some serious issues with Jimmy here. :lol:

its OK, you wouldn't be the first :P

• Hydration 1