Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Things have turned sour in the RNH contract negotiations


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

regular season Nuge? maybe if is not too expensive. playoff Nuge, no thanks. He'll be pricey and we need more size + skill in our lineup. Oldnews is right about trying to find more guys like Paul, we really need that more than we need someone like RNH.

 

21 games, 3 goals, -7, can't win clutch face-offs, in his playoff career - that looks like someone who's very easily handled in the post season. If he was going to show anything exceptional in the playoffs  it would have happened by now. He's had a lot of good chances, teams have to game plan for McDavid and its given him better matchups, which he hasn't done much with. 

 

14 points in 21 playoff games.  (Curious you point out 3 goals but leave off 11 assists).

 

Oilers have been lousy for a long time so they have very little playoff experience.  Small sample size but at .667 points per game you can't say Nuge is lousy in the playoffs based solely on that 21 game sample.  

 

Look, I think the guy is hugely versatile and very capable of getting the Canucks 50 points a year from 3C or 2W. Given a larger playoff sample size he might continue to get .667 points per game in the playoffs. I stand by my contention that as long as you don't over pay this is a very valuable guy.  People want to trade picks and prospects to get someone like Reinhart. Fine, he's a good player.  But you surely have to consider the alternative of getting someone like RNH for free if the contract is reasonable.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

14 points in 21 playoff games.  (Curious you point out 3 goals but leave off 11 assists).

 

Oilers have been lousy for a long time so they have very little playoff experience.  Small sample size but at .667 points per game you can't say Nuge is lousy in the playoffs based solely on that 21 game sample.  

 

Look, I think the guy is hugely versatile and very capable of getting the Canucks 50 points a year from 3C or 2W. Given a larger playoff sample size he might continue to get .667 points per game in the playoffs. I stand by my contention that as long as you don't over pay this is a very valuable guy.  People want to trade picks and prospects to get someone like Reinhart. Fine, he's a good player.  But you surely have to consider the alternative of getting someone like RNH for free if the contract is reasonable.

 

 

RNH is coming off a six mil cap hit.  I don’t see who he fits into our cap structure.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

14 points in 21 playoff games.  (Curious you point out 3 goals but leave off 11 assists).

 

Oilers have been lousy for a long time so they have very little playoff experience.  Small sample size but at .667 points per game you can't say Nuge is lousy in the playoffs based solely on that 21 game sample.  

 

Look, I think the guy is hugely versatile and very capable of getting the Canucks 50 points a year from 3C or 2W. Given a larger playoff sample size he might continue to get .667 points per game in the playoffs. I stand by my contention that as long as you don't over pay this is a very valuable guy.  People want to trade picks and prospects to get someone like Reinhart. Fine, he's a good player.  But you surely have to consider the alternative of getting someone like RNH for free if the contract is reasonable.

 

 

I didn't cut out anything, thats what he accomplished as a goal scorer. Pretty anemic for 6+ mil, imo.

 

RNH isn't a 3C. If he was the Oilers wouldn't have gone out to get Haas and Turris to take more draws than him. 

 

We have lots of small skill on the team now, we need guys with size to make it out of the western playoffs. 

 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take him for $5 x 4/5yr.  Free asset that can play in a top 6 role.  Don't think he'd want to take a pay cut though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BPA said:

I'd take him for $5 x 4/5yr.  Free asset that can play in a top 6 role.  Don't think he'd want to take a pay cut though.

How much will CBJ offer Nuge?  They need a centre for Laine.  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BPA said:

I'd take him for $5 x 4/5yr.  Free asset that can play in a top 6 role.  Don't think he'd want to take a pay cut though.

The question is does his style of play and character fit into our core?

 

If we’re signing any player to 5 years right now we need to make sure they’re players that can win with this core while they’re in their prime.

 

Can’t just be signing whoever is available that offseason. That’s how we ended up with the Eriksson contract.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How much will CBJ offer Nuge?  They need a centre for Laine.  

Right.  I can see CBJ offering $7M x 6yr easy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't cut out anything, thats what he accomplished as a goal scorer. Pretty anemic for 6+ mil, imo.

 

RNH isn't a 3C. If he was the Oilers would have gone out to get Haas and Turris to take more draws than him. 

 

1. Petey 2. Horvat 3. RNH.  Or he plays 2nd line wing for us.

 

Versatile guy. I get you don't like him but I do. He would make it our 8th out of the top 9. That gives a decent chance next year for one of Motte Lind Gadjovich Lockwood or Highmore to elevate their game into a legit 3W position and complete the top 9. 

 

The following year more money is available to add more .  But for next year this would be an improved top 9 lineup and I think you need to consider adding RNH if he wants to come on the right contract.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

RNH is coming off a six mil cap hit.  I don’t see who he fits into our cap structure.  

Alf

 

We clearly have money for RNH or a UFA defenceman like a Larsson but not likely both.  So for next year it is a choice.  The year after there is more money to add again.

 

This year Sutter and Edler out, Holtby and Virt bought out, LE and Rouss sent down and there is about 10.5M to sign 5 players.  One of which can be at about 6M one backup goalie at 1.5 to 2.0  and the rest lower end.

 

So I am in favor of talking to RNH if he makes it to free agency and seeing what he wants.  We don't give up any picks or prospects and we get better IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Alf

 

We clearly have money for RNH or a UFA defenceman like a Larsson but not likely both.  So for next year it is a choice.  The year after there is more money to add again.

 

This year Sutter and Edler out, Holtby and Virt bought out, LE and Rouss sent down and there is about 10.5M to sign 5 players.  One of which can be at about 6M one backup goalie at 1.5 to 2.0  and the rest lower end.

 

So I am in favor of talking to RNH if he makes it to free agency and seeing what he wants.  We don't give up any picks or prospects and we get better IMO.

I just do t see us able to pay what Columbus will offer.  We have Petey, Bo, and Miller who are all excellent centres.  CBJ has no one.  Heck, Winnipeg might be in on him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I just do t see us able to pay what Columbus will offer.  We have Petey, Bo, and Miller who are all excellent centres.  CBJ has no one.  Heck, Winnipeg might be in on him.  

Yes we may have to offer less but - RNH lives in Vancouver in the offseason.  He has friends and family here. I am confident he wants to play here if the money is reasonably close. It's not a slam dunk but I don't agree with people who say he isn't a good player or a good fit.  I believe he is both of those and would be a great add if it works.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

1. Petey 2. Horvat 3. RNH.  Or he plays 2nd line wing for us.

 

Versatile guy. I get you don't like him but I do. He would make it our 8th out of the top 9. That gives a decent chance next year for one of Motte Lind Gadjovich Lockwood or Highmore to elevate their game into a legit 3W position and complete the top 9. 

 

The following year more money is available to add more .  But for next year this would be an improved top 9 lineup and I think you need to consider adding RNH if he wants to come on the right contract.

 

 

 

 

 

its not about like or dislike, its about how he's actually been deployed and effective, and thats just not as a 3C. 

 

If you want to try to fit him in as a winger thats fine, but he's not a guy Edmonton relied on for critical face offs, so why would we? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not about like or dislike, its about how he's actually been deployed and effective, and thats just not as a 3C. 

 

If you want to try to fit him in as a winger thats fine, but he's not a guy Edmonton relied on for critical face offs, so why would we? 

With Petey Bo RNH and Miller we would have 4 legit centers to cover 3 positions.  Depth for injuries.

Miller and RNH and Petey can all be effective on the wing.  Again depth and versatility in the top 9 when Greener gets the blender going.

Miller Horvat and Beagle are very good face off guys.  Petey gets protected.  If RNH is below .500 it's not great but that's a minor issue IMO in the context of a team where 3 out of 4 lines are winning the majority of faceoffs.

 

I like what he would add to our top 9.  Not to mention he's a great teammate, not a d-bag and he wants to win and is only 28. We should not be trading picks or prospects at this point to add to our roster. Getting a guy like RNH for free, at the right contract, would be a great add.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

With Petey Bo RNH and Miller we would have 4 legit centers to cover 3 positions.  Depth for injuries.

Miller and RNH and Petey can all be effective on the wing.  Again depth and versatility in the top 9 when Greener gets the blender going.

Miller Horvat and Beagle are very good face off guys.  Petey gets protected.  If RNH is below .500 it's not great but that's a minor issue IMO in the context of a team where 3 out of 4 lines are winning the majority of faceoffs.

 

I like what he would add to our top 9.  Not to mention he's a great teammate, not a d-bag and he wants to win and is only 28. We should not be trading picks or prospects at this point to add to our roster. Getting a guy like RNH for free, at the right contract, would be a great add.

 

I can see what you're proposing, and from this pov its not a bad idea, its pretty much what Edmonton has been doing. I just feel we need someone more in the mold of Lowry anchoring the bottom 6. 

 

If we can move some cap and get both, that would be.great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can offload Loui’s contract for a 2nd (Actual $ is much less so I bet there would be an easy taker now) we can backfill that with RNH on a 5-6M x 4 contract to give as another top end offensive talent.  Basically like trading a 2nd for RNH.

 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller RNH Podkolkin

Pearson Horvat Lind

 

Looks pretty darn elite to me....

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can offload Loui’s contract for a 2nd (Actual $ is much less so I bet there would be an easy taker now) we can backfill that with RNH on a 5-6M x 4 contract to give as another top end offensive talent.  Basically like trading a 2nd for RNH.

 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller RNH Podkolkin

Pearson Horvat Lind

 

Looks pretty darn elite to me....

I think SEA might take LE + 2nd + prospect (cuz they got no depth) for a 6th. 

 

Fingers crossed. :P

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we can offload Loui’s contract for a 2nd (Actual $ is much less so I bet there would be an easy taker now) we can backfill that with RNH on a 5-6M x 4 contract to give as another top end offensive talent.  Basically like trading a 2nd for RNH.

 

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser

Miller RNH Podkolkin

Pearson Horvat Lind

 

Looks pretty darn elite to me....

I would want one more top 6 before I’d call it elite. Someone like Reinhart or Saad would complete that top 6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I would want one more top 6 before I’d call it elite. Someone like Reinhart or Saad would complete that top 6.

If we can fit it in, then I’m definitely game too. Adding RNH and Podkolzin, along with some advancement from Hogz and Lind could put us over the top talent wise to be a legit threat from the West I think.  
 

If somehow we can snag a Jones like D with Schmidt + 9OA + something else then I think we’ll have arrived to compete in the West.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think SEA might take LE + 2nd + prospect (cuz they got no depth) for a 6th. 

 

Fingers crossed. :P

Good call with Seattle.  Unless they are trying to compete next year (unlikely) then this is a win win scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...