The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

With Shaw on board, and a more consistent 3C (either acquired or using a more experienced Miller) I really think Schmidt and our D will have a big bounce back year.  

Throw in a proper training camp, Hamonic ready for the whole year… there’s enough between:  Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Hamonic and Juolevi/Rathbone that we should look a lot better without even adding anyone.

Id still love a shakeup… preferably another top 4 stay at home RHD type.  Just saying I really think this group is way more capable than it showed last season.

I can't agree more. This team needs a defensive wakeup and shakeup. We'll definitely have the former with the addition of Shaw, and if the latter happens then it will pay even greater dividends for us. Either way, we're going to see a much-improved backend, and Schmidt is a huge part of that. He is especially going to surprise the haters next year. It's exciting to think that we're only going to get better and better each year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I can't agree more. This team needs a defensive wakeup and shakeup. We'll definitely have the former with the addition of Shaw, and if the latter happens then it will pay even greater dividends for us. Either way, we're going to see a much-improved backend, and Schmidt is a huge part of that. He is especially going to surprise the haters next year. It's exciting to think that we're only going to get better and better each year. 

Imagine Shaw comes in and gets that defence in line…. Oh man. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Imagine Shaw comes in and gets that defence in line…. Oh man. 

Yup, we're way better than we were these past two years with the horrible system. This was my one concern, that the coaching staff wouldn't recognize the main issue with the team, but thankfully they did and we can look forward to next season even more.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Yes, let's trade Schmidt so that we can then be forced to acquire another top 4 defenceman.

Whomever we trade him to, do you think they'd be willing to trade him back to us after? We'll need someone like him. 

Ok, Jester

A legit question

Is Schmidt > Savard or who ever UFA and 2-2nds

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, Jester

A legit question

Legit answer: there's no guarantee you can make a trade for a good enough return and replace him with someone equal or better (salary and skill) at the same time. 

I would take Schmidt in best form over Savard, and I think the best of Schmidt is yet to come. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Legit answer: there's no guarantee you can make a trade for a good enough return and replace him with someone equal or better (salary and skill) at the same time. 

I would take Schmidt in best form over Savard, and I think the best of Schmidt is yet to come. 

Have to agree. I think Schmidt during the pandemic was hard. New country, new team - lots of transitions and changes. Getting used to new teammates with not a lot of practice time. I think this upcoming season, Schmidt’s going to be better than last season. More of a pre-season, time to get to gel with teammates, and get to know their tendencies on the ice. He’s going to have a bounce back season. I’m looking forward to his play and the team with Shaw behind the bench. 

• Cheers 4

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ok, Jester

A legit question

While I like Schmidt and think he can and will be better, this is a legit question Benning should be asking about several players.

Can I use their cap space (or less) for a better or at least comparable player while adding other high level assets? If the answer is yes trading them should be explored. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

While I like Schmidt and think he can and will be better, this is a legit question Benning should be asking about several players.

Can I use their cap space (or less) for a better or at least comparable player while adding other high level assets? If the answer is yes trading them should be explored. 

Sure, but you'd have to sign someone comparable as a replacement before trading, otherwise that's a huge gamble to fill the hole left over. And if you do sign before a trade then whomever you're trading with will offer less, knowing you don't have many options.

You're also gambling you can get a comparable to Schmidt for as long of term and for as cheap a price. I just don't see it happeing, and I instead see Schmidt having one of the biggest bounce back years on the team this upcoming year. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Sure, but you'd have to sign someone comparable as a replacement before trading, otherwise that's a huge gamble to fill the hole left over. And if you do sign before a trade then whomever you're trading with will offer less, knowing you don't have many options.

You're also gambling you can get a comparable to Schmidt for as long of term and for as cheap a price. I just don't see it happeing, and I instead see Schmidt having one of the biggest bounce back years on the team this upcoming year. 

I do get what you are talking about Jester, and trading a player before you have his replacement does come with risk and maybe a higher AAV cap.

Maybe have 2 moves in place....move Schmidt and pick up Peelch (or someone else) on the cheap...I think there are ways to do it, one way or another.

The whole point to me is, if trading Schmidt it should be for young asset, which will be or have the potential to be with you for the next 10 to 12 years, or what is the point?

As to your point about trading a guy before you replace him, this is done by GM's yearly, when they let a guy go and replace him from the UFA market.....yes, there certainly is risk!

But it is done alot.

I guess, if you are going after picks, you have to have some targets you really like and don't think you will be able to get otherwise. I think the draft is always a risk, and this year

is even more of one, but "IF": Aqualini and Benning both believe they will be able to get some value players, then sure get the picks. 

"If",  Benning can get a value prospect (which I do not think he can get with Schmidt) then go for it.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Like I said, I like Schmidt. I think he is a much better player than he showed last season.

Having said that, I would not describe his contract as at a cheap price. And given his age, being longer term is a risk, not an advantage.

Finding an as good top 6 right side D in free agency at a similar cap hit and term is a distinct possibility actually. Larson and Savard are easily comparables for example. 

30 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, I like Schmidt. I think he is a much better player than he showed last season.

Having said that, I would not describe his contract as at a cheap price. And given his age, being longer term is a risk, not an advantage.

Finding an as good top 6 right side D in free agency at a similar cap hit and term is a distinct possibility actually. Larson and Savard are easily comparables for example. 

Savard has been a healthy scratch numerous times in the playoffs for tampa. Giving up a 1st abd a 3rd for him was a hige overpayment imo. He absolutely doesnt deserve a big payday. 2-3 mill sure but anything over 4 is a mistake. 

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Savard has been a healthy scratch numerous times in the playoffs for tampa. Giving up a 1st abd a 3rd for him was a hige overpayment imo. He absolutely doesnt deserve a big payday. 2-3 mill sure but anything over 4 is a mistake. 

He will get more than 2-3 mil most likely. Not saying he is the answer, just suggesting there are alternatives out there. If you can get him for 4 mil for 4 years lets say and can trade Schmidt for other assets, thats probably a better long term situation for the Canucks. 

Savard being a scratch in Tampa doesnt meanmuch. They are stacked. On Vancouver he would easily be a good player, especially with Shaw on board.

I agree you dont overpay for him though.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He will get more than 2-3 mil most likely. Not saying he is the answer, just suggesting there are alternatives out there. If you can get him for 4 mil for 4 years lets say and can trade Schmidt for other assets, thats probably a better long term situation for the Canucks. 

Savard being a scratch in Tampa doesnt meanmuch. They are stacked. On Vancouver he would easily be a good player, especially with Shaw on board.

I agree you dont overpay for him though.

Id like to trade Schmidt as well. Tho id rather go cheap this offseason for a replacement because next season the amount of RHD available is soo much better and we would have more than enough cap money to sign a couple of D.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id like to trade Schmidt as well. Tho id rather go cheap this offseason for a replacement because next season the amount of RHD available is soo much better and we would have more than enough cap money to sign a couple of D.

I am actually ok if they do this throughout the roster this offseason. Cheap 1 year show me contracts then set up well for next offseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am actually ok if they do this throughout the roster this offseason. Cheap 1 year show me contracts then set up well for next offseason.

For me it all depends what kind of deals can be had during the expansion draft.

There might be some really good players available for cheaper than you think. That would make this a good time to fill some of those holes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Right? I mean even a 1 year deal on a guy like bogosian whos good defensively id rather do than giving a 4 year deal on a old player like savard. I just dont know if most canuck fans could handle it. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

For me it all depends what kind of deals can be had during the expansion draft.

There might be some really good players available for cheaper than you think. That would make this a good time to fill some of those holes.

Lets hope JB can pull something good off this offseason from this ED year.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Right? I mean even a 1 year deal on a guy like bogosian whos good defensively id rather do than giving a 4 year deal on a old player like savard. I just dont know if most canuck fans could handle it. 

I dont think its the fans who cant handle it. I think its Aquilini and Benning.