The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Dobson is my dream. Exactly what the team needs… I would go so far as to say I would be willing to over pay for him lol. 

I was quite high on him at the draft and I agree, EXACTLY what we need.

It's a bit sarcastic/pipe dream as I doubt NYI's give him up... But they stand to lose one of Leddy/Mayfield in the ED, are 'win now' and Schmidt could replace Leddy with a nice, younger, top 4 D, under contract AND ditch Ladd's contract....

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Trotz or Schmidt might not want a reunion with how things ended in Washington and Schmidt has a 10-team no trade. 

From RMNB: "Meanwhile, during Schmidt’s final season in Washington, he was a healthy scratch over 20 times. After the Caps landed Kevin Shattenkirk at the trade deadline, Trotz called Schmidt the team’s “7D” heading into the playoffs. It took an injury to Karl Alzner to get the sidelined Schmidt into the postseason lineup."

Lamoriello said he traded Toews because they have a lot of faith in Dobson and wanted to give him the opportunity.  The return for Toews was only 2x 2nd round picks and he plays even more minutes than Makar in Colorado and signed a very reasonable 4.1M contract.   NYI were already in win now mode and had just reached the conference final in the bubble.  Don't see why they would want a more experienced D now - Dobson has 1 year more experience and is only going to get better.  

NYI has so little cap space and need Dobson and his ELC.  Ladd buried + Dobson is less than Schmidt and every cent is going to count per Staple.  

Again, I know it's a bit of a pipe dream.

I'm not going to speak for Trotz but I think Schmidt's play in Vegas speaks for itself and IMO would do quite well paired with Mayfield.

And they'd be losing Leddy's deal + Ladd's in this scenario while only adding Schmidt back. That's gaining $5m+ of space.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Again, I know it's a bit of a pipe dream.

I'm not going to speak for Trotz but I think Schmidt's play in Vegas speaks for itself and IMO would do quite well paired with Mayfield.

And they'd be losing Leddy's deal + Ladd's in this scenario while only adding Schmidt back. That's gaining $5m+ of space.

Hows it gaining 5 mill of apace again?

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Trotz or Schmidt might not want a reunion with how things ended in Washington and Schmidt has a 10-team no trade. 

From RMNB: "Meanwhile, during Schmidt’s final season in Washington, he was a healthy scratch over 20 times. After the Caps landed Kevin Shattenkirk at the trade deadline, Trotz called Schmidt the team’s “7D” heading into the playoffs. It took an injury to Karl Alzner to get the sidelined Schmidt into the postseason lineup."

Lamoriello said he traded Toews because they have a lot of faith in Dobson and wanted to give him the opportunity.  The return for Toews was only 2x 2nd round picks and he plays even more minutes than Makar in Colorado and signed a very reasonable 4.1M contract.   NYI were already in win now mode and had just reached the conference final in the bubble.  Don't see why they would want a more experienced D now - Dobson has 1 year more experience and is only going to get better.  

NYI has so little cap space and need Dobson and his ELC.  Ladd buried + Dobson is less than Schmidt and every cent is going to count per Staple.  

indeed one of the best moves from Sakic.

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Ahh leddy gets picked by seattle okay gotcha

Yes. If they lose Leddy in the ED (likely IMO) we replace him for them with Schmidt, and clear two years of Ladd, at the price of Dobson.

If you look at the cost of clearing 2 years of a $5.5m deal, it's probably not far off the mark IMO.

Again with the caveat that NYI's aren't likely to move Dobson.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yes. If they lose Leddy in the ED (likely IMO) we replace him for them with Schmidt, and clear two years of Ladd, at the price of Dobson.

If you look at the cost of clearing 2 years of a $5.5m deal, it's probably not far off the mark IMO.

Well im all for it since dobson would not only fit right in but would most likely be hughes partner for a decade or more. This would make it tougher to sign a winger a 3C and another dman with ladds cap hit i think.

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well im all for it since dobson would not only fit right in but would most likely be hughes partner for a decade or more. This would make it tougher to sign a winger a 3C and another dman with ladds cap hit i think.

Not really. Buried Ladd + Dobson on ELC actually saves us a few hundred K. And it depends on what else we do. Can we help Tampa clear cap/utilize LTIR space by swapping them Ferland for Killorn? Can we move Roussel + futures for Jenner?

It's going to be an interesting summer though!

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Has coaching/management seen enough of Rathbone already to make Schmidt expendable? 

dunno.... maybe? 

I have a hard time thinking Pagnotta really has any real info here.

• Cheers 2

I mean sure you could just hope Schmidt had a one off bad season here, but what if that wasn’t a one off?

Another season like he just had and his value drops significantly. At least right now teams will likely still value him and think that the whole team just had a bad season.

I’m good with freeing up cap space for better stay at home guys. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno.... maybe? 

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty high on the kid but I expected that to still be a year or two off. Would give us time to fully develop him as well as maybe regain some of Schmidt's trade value with a likely better season.

That said, particularly if he wasn't a fit in the room, would it be that surprising to see us move him...maybe target a couple of UFA's and/or trades of Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Mayfield, Jensen etc and go with something like:

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

Edler

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have a hard time thinking Pagnotta really has any real info here.

So like most media? :P

• Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty high on the kid but I expected that to still be a year or two off. Would give us time to fully develop him as well as maybe regain some of Schmidt's trade value with a likely better season.

That said, particularly if he wasn't a fit in the room, would it be that surprising to see us move him...maybe target a couple of UFA's and/or trades of Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Mayfield, Jensen etc and go with something like:

First thought I had was his fit in the room.

I mean fans love his goofy ways but maybe it rubs some guys the wrong way? I could see how his goofiness is mistaken for lack of focus.

Im good if he stays, he could have a bounce back season. But I also understand if he just isn’t a fit.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

Edler

So like most media? :P

sounds like Larsson is going to pull a Nuge and stay with Edmonton.

I wouldn't be upset to see Nate go, although I do think he's better than how Baumer used him. If thats not going to change then maybe we should be shopping him.

I wonder if NJ is a good landing spot for him? Subban is likely a buy out, and he'd be a good puck moving replacement for them. 

Maybe for the 60th oa? 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

First thought I had was his fit in the room.

I mean fans love his goofy ways but maybe it rubs some guys the wrong way? I could see how his goofiness is mistaken for lack of focus.

Im good if he stays, he could have a bounce back season. But I also understand if he just isn’t a fit.

Yeah, I mean who really knows? Could be? Maybe a combination of  his fit/personality AND the team being high on Rathbone. It would open up options for us, potentially clear/re-allocate cap etc.