The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Last I checked they don't give you the cup for having the most cap space of all 32 teams. Heck the ones that are almost $20 million over the cap is most likely lift8ng the cup next week. 

What good is cap space when you don't have the players. You do that Schmidt trade 100 out of 100 times. Glad you ain't the GM. 

You do need great players at good value contracts.  Overpay, sign the wrong players and your on the outside wishing for cap space to sign better players so you can have a better team and a shot at the cup.  Especially in a flat cap offseason, you need cap space money at the right time to buy low on good players.  So yeah, there's a premium on cap space.

It's not because Montreal has a better young core than the Canucks that they are in the finals.  Their pro-scouting has been better.  Their ufa signings have been better.  Montreal has had better timing with their rebuild on the fly, but smart management has to spot trends and situations before they even happen.  The Schmidt/Holtby/Pearson signings have been made in the current flat cap situaton and have not been the right moves.

Chicago will have to give up assets to move Keith.  Keith played more icetime in key situations than Schmidt did last season.  Right now it is looking like Vegas should have given up the 3rd pick for Van to take on Schmidt and his contract.  Horvat had just walked him in the playoffs.  Schmidt had probably been a mouthpiece during our heated series with dirty cocky rival VGK.  It wouldn't surprise me if Schmidt's acquisition wasn't a popular one in the dressing room. So your wrong and Canucks management was wrong, this wasn't a trade you make 100 times out of 100.  

Canucks move on from Markstrom/Tanev/Stetcher and use much of this money to sign Holtby and trade for Schmidt. Tanev is a better D than Schmidt.  Tanev is popular with his teammates.  Tanev didn't use to play for the dreaded VGK.  Tanev's contract is looking like the better contract (4.5 mil x 4 years) proven with one superb season already under his belt.  Schmidt has 4 x 6mil on left on his contract and was average last year.  They didn't need to trade for Schmidt, they needed to pick up the * phone and sign Tanev. 

Also, many on this forum are hoping Seattle picks up Holtby and his money.  He did have a good 2nd half to the season so maybe he will get picked up or traded.  Why do many want him off the roster?  Because we want to spend the money elsewhere.  

I'm not a typical Benning basher, but clearly pro-scouting continues to be a problem with Canucks managment.  Maybe they should spend more time on this forum.   

28 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Agreed.  Myers bleeds blue and green.  Look who's winning in the playoffs right now...  teams with big defensive players on d.  Myers isn't going anywhere.  

I completely agree. Myers has been a great addition. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I completely agree. Myers has been a great addition. 

If Benning could swing a deal for graves I’d love to see fear of players when two 6’6 220 defencemen step on the ice I’m sick of the Canucks being easy play against 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Last season and probably for the next two seasons at least,  Tanev >  Schmidt.  Tanev is currently a 1RD.  This is another pro-scouting mistake by Canucks management.  They misread the room again.  Cap space is money!  Many thought a third round pick was a good deal to pick up Schmidt. I wouldn't have made the move, many on CDS wouldn't have made the move, but we aren't pro-scouts employed by the team.  

Now I'm wondering if giving up another 3rd round pick would be enough to give up to trade his contract.  Like selling a stock that has cost you money.  Sure it may have some upside, but you only get so many to buy and hold.  I think they trade Scmidt for a contract player like OEL.  I'd rather they trade him for cap space.           

You know as much about hockey as you know about the stock market; nothing.

29 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

If Benning could swing a deal for graves I’d love to see fear of players when two 6’6 220 defencemen step on the ice I’m sick of the Canucks being easy play against 

HUGHES - MYERS

TRYAMKIN - ZADOROV

GRAVES - JUOLEVI

OUCH.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Schmidt for Reinhart? 

That would be ideal, but I think it would be more like Schmidt for Ristolainen.  But Schmidt would need to agree to Buffalo, which he very likely will not.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be ideal, but I think it would be more like Schmidt for Ristolainen.  But Schmidt would need to agree to Buffalo, which he very likely will not.  

Oh right.. 

Risto is scary though, I've seen quite a bit of sabres hockey this season (mainly to see how crappy they were) and I've seen Risto literally quit on some plays haha.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

Oh right.. 

Risto is scary though, I've seen quite a bit of sabres hockey this season (mainly to see how crappy they were) and I've seen Risto literally quit on some plays haha.

Yep Ristolainen is like Laine on D.

Good skill but horrible attitude.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'm a bit skeptical about this DP report.  Doesn't make sense to me to move on from Schmidt this quickly unless it's true he wants out.  If that's the case then sure go ahead and trade him.  That leaves a massive hole on the back end though.

If the reports are just speculative, NS definitely fits the mould of what the Canucks are looking for on the back end.  Trading him wouldn't doesnt make any sense unless you can find a better upgrade.

If the contract is a legit concern it would make more sense to trade him after a bounce back season or couldn't the Canucks just expose him to SEA?  

I guess we will see.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Me_ said:

HUGHES - MYERS

TRYAMKIN - ZADOROV

GRAVES - JUOLEVI

OUCH.

Sadly, Tryamkin is out of the equation. I suppose there is a 0.1% chance he could sign with the Canucks, but it would take the KHL to collapse for it to happen. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

I'm a bit skeptical about this DP report.  Doesn't make sense to me to move on from Schmidt this quickly unless it's true he wants out.  If that's the case then sure go ahead and trade him.  That leaves a massive hole on the back end though.

If the reports are just speculative, NS definitely fits the mould of what the Canucks are looking for on the back end.  Trading him wouldn't doesnt make any sense unless you can find a better upgrade.

If the contract is a legit concern it would make more sense to trade him after a bounce back season or couldn't the Canucks just expose him to SEA?  

I guess we will see.

The problem is canucks defense is not gonna get better when we have 3 or 4 guys rathbone Myers Hughes Schmidt that need be sheltered and are puck movers but soft we need bigger guys that are harder play against hence why Schmidt is expandable to fill the need you’ll get almost same game out of rathbone for 900 k

52 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

The problem is canucks defense is not gonna get better when we have 3 or 4 guys rathbone Myers Hughes Schmidt that need be sheltered and are puck movers but soft we need bigger guys that are harder play against hence why Schmidt is expandable to fill the need you’ll get almost same game out of rathbone for 900 k

Meyers and Schmidt are not soft.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Schmidt + Jake for Jones extended makes a ton of sense for both sides. CBJ can't keep players those 2 are cost controlled for a while. As long as CBJ isn't on Schmidt's 10 team no trade list

• Vintage 1