The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Schmidt + Jake for Jones extended makes a ton of sense for both sides. CBJ can't keep players those 2 are cost controlled for a while. As long as CBJ isn't on Schmidt's 10 team no trade list

Columbus blocks Bennings number after that offer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Schmidt + Jake for Jones extended makes a ton of sense for both sides. CBJ can't keep players those 2 are cost controlled for a while. As long as CBJ isn't on Schmidt's 10 team no trade list

Zero sense for Columbus.

A number 4 dman on a bad contract + a third liner doesn't get you a number 1 dman.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Why did we even let Tanev go for this guy? His contract "sucks." If he was making 4M I wouldnt have too much of an issue but 6M damn 

This is 100% bang on! We made this trade well into the FA period, which means it was Days AFTER Tanev and Toffoli signed their sub 4.5m/year contracts. So, if the Canuck GM would've just kept Hughes' reliable D partner we wouldn't be talking about trying to make a move now with Schmidt and his 5.9m cap hit to try and get a RHD to play in our top 4 ideally with Hughes.

This is exactly when I felt the current Canuck GM had no idea how to assemble or keep a quality team together. You have a young STUD offensive D man in Hughes who is a LHD, he excelled and loved playing with Mr. Reliable Chris "often injured, but not in my contract year" Tanev. But as the GM you go and say nope, we don't want to even try to make a deal with you after 10 years with the team on top of the great fit you were a great fit with our 21 yr old star offensive D Mr. Hughes.

This SCREAMS INCOMPETENCE or whatever the word is and to think the Owners of this team still have faith in him, mind blowing to me as a fan. Sure things can turn around, but sure looks bad now when you let both Tanev and TT walk for deals under 4.5m per and the same contract term left as Nate Schmidt who came in just under a 6m cap hit AND you had to give up a 3rd round pick whereas Tanev and Trade Deadline pickup TT were already on the team and recently acquired.

I will always love the Canucks, but the GM and maybe even the head coach have lost my faith in them and how the team is constructed/deployed. But I will give the coaching staff till Christmas to see how the Brad Shaw addition impacts our team in a most positive way I think we are all hoping!

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

On HFboards there was a trade offer from a Dallas fan for Schmidt

Schimdt 5.9m- soon to be 30, 4 more years

for

Esa Lindell 5.8m x 4 yrs : 27yr old Finnish player, could mentor Juolevi

Thoughts? I know its another Lefty, but could be Edler replacement with maybe Hughes or Rathbone 1 day playing the Right side? 

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

for

Thoughts? I know its another Lefty, but could be Edler replacement with maybe Hughes or Rathbone 1 day playing the Right side? 

Is Lindell any good?  

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

This is exactly when I felt the current Canuck GM had no idea how to assemble or keep a quality team together.

Im going to get so much HATE for this joke. Maybe thats why we are keeping jim. So the Sedins can watch what he does, and do the complete opposite :bigblush:. Learn what NOT to do from jim (besides scouting - hes a decent scout) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

for

I would streak through DT Vancouver naked if this happened. Why would Dallas do this?

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I would streak through DT Vancouver naked if this happened. Why would Dallas do this?

Yeah we take that deal and run if it’s offered, WADR to Schmidty (he’s getting a little over criticized on CDC lately it seems). Weird proposal for a Stars fan to throw out. 

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Benning wouldn't embarrass himself by making an offer like that. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If your going to blast JB at least be accurate.  Tanev was offered a 4 x 2 year deal that worked for the team - he said no thanks and signed with CAL.   JB also offered Markstrom a deal that worked for the team, he also said no thanks.   Tanev was a warrior for us, however like you said, often injured.  Way too early to know how that will work out for CAL, he's getting older too.   Once that was off the table JB located a great opportunity to upgrade our D with a versatile number two in Schmidt.   Reports were Vegas fans loved the guy; as did his teammates, and virtually every stat supported that he was an upgrade on reliable when playing Chris Tanev.   Career wise Schmidt > Tanev so that's an upgrade.   Who knew things would have worked out the way they did.   

Now it's possible Schmidt is on the way out.   If we re-coup the third at least, no damage done.   And then we will have to compare whatever happens next with Tanev contract at 32,33,34, how many games he plays and how affective he is. 

Last year it's a draw.   Both teams struggled a lot.  CAL was supposed to be a force but just couldn't find the offense.   

If Schmidt stays and reverts to career form we win.  Way too early to judge these trades/signings.    Last off season was actually one of JB better ones.   He didn't make things much harder for himself by making any cap dump trades, gambled and picked the right horse for our goalie (does that one count as a win in your books?  Some JB haters only point out their perceived bad moves, and acknowledge the good ones).  

TT was a rental.   And wasn't patient enough to stick around and get his offer which was in the works.   So that's that on him.   So many folks dumped on BB last season, trade threads galore for him plus a first for Dumba lol.   And it heated up when "the best right wing ever i've ever watched in a Canucks uniform" played his dozen regular season games (almost all of them losses but that never comes up), got injured and aside from his first game back was mostly a non-factor in the playoffs for us.    Opportunistic and smart, but not really a heavy player and BB backchecked the heck out of him all playoffs long, made some brilliant defensive plays for us during that run - in other words if he wasn't scoring he was doing a good job on the other things.    TT was a luxury we could only afford because BB was down.  

Holtby turned out to be a bad signing.   But was also set up for be dangled at the ED.   If he's picked up, which some models suggest, then again no harm done.     Harm done would have been trading Demko for peanuts, losing Podz and Hogs to clear up cap plus future picks, and going with the exact same team that wilted against Vegas, and that included Tanev.   80 million.   Would have been the easy road and the wrong one at the same time.    Imagine the cap issues we'd have this off season too instead of the ones we already have.  That for sure is also on JB timing the cores ascension wrong by one season in the first place.    Just need to stay the course.  

I want to see his numbers in two years too! The fact that Boeser scored 23, and is much younger, makes me think that Benning isn't that far off in his decision. It would have been nice to have both, but not for that term. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1