The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think they are suggesting Schmidt wants out. It seems like they are suggesting it would be the team wanting to trade him.

2 different rumors from what I am reading there.

The team would be selling low. That would be an example of poor management (unless the trading partner is completely hornswoggled) if this rumour were true. 

• Vintage 1

we already need a replacement for edler and maybe another one for hamonic. if schmidt is moved, that is 3 major d-men to replace.

it is going to hard to find another edler out there . otherwise our defense doesn't change. can we get better with the same players?

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I don't see why we would move him after the abysmal season everyone had. Give everyone another year to gel IMO.

Not everyone on the team had an abysmal a season.  Hogs had a shot at the Calder if much of the team was healthy.  If Demko played like Holtby, we would’ve finished probably last in the league.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Canucks open to moving Schmidt

What are the thoughts on that?

It feels as if his enthusiasm wasn’t overly shared. Yet he rest of the team, to the point that Holtby had to tell him to lower the amplitude…

Is he not a fit then?

Schmidt + for Jones?

The person who wrote the article has no clue what he is talking about.

Having said that, I do agree that the coaches need to find a way to use Schmidt better and cater to his strengths.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we already need a replacement for edler and maybe another one for hamonic. if schmidt is moved, that is 3 major d-men to replace.

it is going to hard to find another edler out there . otherwise our defense doesn't change. can we get better with the same players?

I'd hope that Hamonic is being re-signed. Edler, is probably coming back too. Schmidt might be moved, but if he is, I hope it's for a true number one right handed defenseman, which would probably mean more than just Schmidt going the other way. Who knows. A lot of things up in the air this offseason, which could make for a different looking roster this fall. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

People keep talking about the idea of acquiring Seth Jones, but I think Lindholm would be the better choice.  Why?

1) Lindholm would be much cheaper to acquire than Jones

2)  Lindholm won’t break the bank like Seth Jones.

3) The Canucks likely wouldn’t have to part ways with ANY of Schmidt, Horvat, Boeser, or Podkolzin to acquire Lindholm in the manner that they would for Seth Jones.

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

is a solid defense.

Rathbone and a 1st should be able to land Lindholm.   Rathbone, a 1st, plus one of the pieces above, is what would land you Jones....along with what would likely be a 9 million dollar cap hit even in a flat cap world starting in 22-23.

Patel’s recommendation:

1) Try and draft one of Power or Edvinsson.

2) If both men are off the table, use Rathbone and a 1st to acquire Hampus Lindholm

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not mad at the reporter, just doing their job on a slow Monday with the local team eliminated.  Basically it's them throwing their darts in speculation and somewhat for readership, since 1/2 of the team is moveable (either as dead weight, depth guys that need replacing or assets to move for improvement) and even a broken clock is correct 2x per day.  With that said, unless there's something being discussed that we don't know about yet, it's probably nothing to see here.  

Edited by Phil_314

It's probably not the best time to trade Schmidt.  As I have said in the past, there's no chance a team would even pay close to what we paid for him, and, arguably, we didn't even pay *that* much.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the first time this regime sold low on a player.

Also, for a team that sucks on defence, not sure how trading is gonna help "be aggressive in making the playoffs" lol.

Canucks management :wacko:

• RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I hope its true. It should be, i do t want 6 mill going to a guy thst is less than impressive. This defense needs a new identity and losing both edler and schimdt is the start of that happening.

What identity would you like to see the defense have? Having an aggressive defense (crease clearing, clean but hard hitting in the corners) that has some solid puck moving offense is what I'd like to see more consistently. Give Hughes and Rathbone some room to work their magic out there. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

What identity would you like to see the defense have? Having an aggressive defense (crease clearing, clean but hard hitting in the corners, that has some solid puck moving offense is what I'd like to see more consistently. Give Hughes and Rathbone some room to work their magic out there. 

Literally this. We need at least one defenseman with a nasty side to him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

As much as I think Schmidt is a good player I think all options should be explored to make a hockey trade to find a true RHD stay at home defenseman to pair with either Hughes or Rathbone. 

The alternative I see is to keep Schmidt and hire a new defenseman coach and special teams coach who are able to utilize this talent the same way Vegas was able to.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2