The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

54 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we already need a replacement for edler and maybe another one for hamonic. if schmidt is moved, that is 3 major d-men to replace.

it is going to hard to find another edler out there . otherwise our defense doesn't change. can we get better with the same players?

Edler has Ohlunded.

Time to move on.

• Upvote 1

Schmidt's was starting to turn things around and was arguably our best D in the last stretch of the season. He hasn't gotten a fair shake at things here and I'd be disappointed if we got rid of him before we see what we have, especially because we would be selling low. Having said that, if the right deal comes around for an upgrade I wouldn't be opposed to him going the other way.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

As much as I think Schmidt is a good player I think all options should be explored to make a hockey trade to find a true RHD stay at home defenseman to pair with either Hughes or Rathbone. 

The alternative I see is to keep Schmidt and hire a new defenseman coach and special teams coach who are able to utilize this talent the same way Vegas was able to.

The Vegans can do no wrong(in the league's eyes); whereas Van gets the red-headed, ugly step-child treatment.

Also don't think Schmidt is a bad player; but at 6 mill, not sure he'll ever excel in Vancouver, with the rigged-deck league's realities.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Literally this. We need at least one defenseman with a nasty side to him. 

So…..

HUGHES - MYERS

CHARA - TRYAMKIN

Cancel his KHL contract somehow?

Dare to dream…

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2

I doubt this. You would normally trade from a position of strength and D, especially with Eddy ready for bottom pairing minutes, is not a postition of strength. Schmidt got better as the year went on and I think he's a keeper. But, but, if this is piece needed to land a Seth Jones then all bets are off. Seth would most likely cost a Schmidt, Hogs or Pods and a first. I don't think it's worth it. If there is any truth to this rumour I could maybe see something with Jones or OEL. But really I think this is just some internet spit balling rumor. 

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean the blue line needs a big shakeup so I wouldn’t be surprised if his name is discussed.

That being said I doubt they have any real sources for this.

I think teams were kicking tires on Nate at the tdl but that happens for a lot of guys, doesnt mean much. Drance is floating balloons.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont disagree. 

Would I be surprised to see him traded? Not really. 

I think he is tradeable. Doing so would suggest that there is a succession plan in place or at least something in return that will somewhat replace and eventually eat all his minutes. The return needs to address where the team should be in 2 years (if I can borrow the inflammatory term used by JB himself). 

2 hours ago, shayster007 said:

It already has been. Benning stated in the interview that he has spoken to Schmidt and he did not request a trade or show any sign of wanting out.

I’d take everything with a grain of salt. Even Benning saying no trade request has happened. If people know he wants out then you might not get the best offers because they know you have to move him. If I were in his position and somebody asked to be traded I wouldn’t leak it to the media either.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not everyone on the team had an abysmal a season.  Hogs had a shot at the Calder if much of the team was healthy.  If Demko played like Holtby, we would’ve finished probably last in the league.

I get what you mean, but overall we were piss poor, especially defensively at the beginning of the season. I think trading Schmidt would be a mistake.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Lol can't see Benning moving Schmidt.. imagine thinking he got a steal in Schmidt and 1 year later have to give him up for less than what he traded or had to add a sweetener lime some suggested.. there be 10 planes flying fire Benning instead of 1