The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Because the vast majority of people who I see complain about millennials fall in the Boomer generation, the people who raised millennials. This is only my experience as a mid-late millennial. I don't find there to be a stark difference between millennials and Gen X for the most part. I also find most of the complaints to be exaggerated or downright untrue. 

There's morons in every generation. It's nothing new. You've probably seen this quote before, but if you haven't, can you guess who said it?

The biggest difference is now, thanks to the internet, being a whiny, self entitled moron is not just restricted to your immediate circle of people like when I was a kid. Everyone gets to listen to it. And its contagious unfortunately.

People have lost the ability to reasonably discuss issues without trying to be the loudest and most combative person in the room to get their point across or to generate some kind of internet infamy. Lowest common denominator type approach. Yell loudest and get a bunch of others to yell with you and you will drown out things you dont agree with. 

Even in the time I have been on this forum, the shift in how people respond to each other has taken a huge shift to ridiculous. Common respect for other people and their opinions is free, and is vital to functioning effectively as a human being. Its certainly in short supply around here. Getting immediately butthurt because someone has a different opinion is the norm. I like discussing different opinions and hearing all different perspectives if people are willing to lay their opinions out in a reasonable way. Its why I come here. 

It interests me that people take things like criticism of the Canucks or Benning so personally. Its not an affront to you or me on a personal level if someone else doesnt agree with our opinion. The younger generations are certainly worse for this than my generation ever was.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Hhmmm this thread took a hard left and ended up on the wrong side of the highway. So where is Nate gonna end up? Maybe a straight up swap for Dumba? 

Now that is actually a very fair trade.  Schmidt for Dumba.  Could happen too.  

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I suppose. I'm just trying to align Benning's words with that type of trade, and it doesn't work. 

What about to Philly for their Myers?  I like him.  Big, can skate, plays with some bite.  Still learning the game though, wed for sure be taking a step back moving Schmidt for him. But Myers could develop into a really good top four guy.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What about to Philly for their Myers?  I like him.  Big, can skate, plays with some bite.  Still learning the game though, wed for sure be taking a step back moving Schmidt for him. But Myers could develop into a really good top four guy.  

Too much Myers!

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd do it.

Schmidt to Philly might be a Plan D option for them. I doubt he would get the Canucks Myers though. Philly is going hard after guys like Seth Jones and Dougie Hamilton by the sounds of it. Top pairing, RHD seems to be their target. If they lose out on some of those bigger fish, maybe they look at Schmidt as a consolation prize but I seriously doubt it.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Because the vast majority of people who I see complain about millennials fall in the Boomer generation, the people who raised millennials.

its called misdirection. Millenials are asked to do more with less, work harder, etc. while the Boomers got to enjoy a nice coke-fuelled debt balloon until cashing on on foreign home sales. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its called misdirection. Millenials are asked to do more with less, work harder, etc. while the Boomers got to enjoy a nice coke-fuelled debt balloon until cashing on on foreign home sales. 

Yup.  Life in the 50’s and 60’s was a lot easier than now.  We didn’t have all the gizmos and gadgets, but things were pretty cheap and decent paying jobs were plentiful.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The biggest difference is now, thanks to the internet, being a whiny, self entitled moron is not just restricted to your immediate circle of people like when I was a kid. Everyone gets to listen to it. And its contagious unfortunately.

People have lost the ability to reasonably discuss issues without trying to be the loudest and most combative person in the room to get their point across or to generate some kind of internet infamy. Lowest common denominator type approach. Yell loudest and get a bunch of others to yell with you and you will drown out things you dont agree with. 

Even in the time I have been on this forum, the shift in how people respond to each other has taken a huge shift to ridiculous. Common respect for other people and their opinions is free, and is vital to functioning effectively as a human being. Its certainly in short supply around here. Getting immediately butthurt because someone has a different opinion is the norm. I like discussing different opinions and hearing all different perspectives if people are willing to lay their opinions out in a reasonable way. Its why I come here. 

It interests me that people take things like criticism of the Canucks or Benning so personally. Its not an affront to you or me on a personal level if someone else doesnt agree with our opinion. The younger generations are certainly worse for this than my generation ever was.

Do you think CDC is made of a millennial majority ? I’m sure there’s plenty of us on here but I know from discussions around various subforums that there’s a significant population of Gen X and Boomers around these parts. I think your complaint may be misguided. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Life in the 50’s and 60’s was a lot easier than now.  We didn’t have all the gizmos and gadgets, but things were pretty cheap and decent paying jobs were plentiful.  

CDC does realize there were numerous generations between the Boomers and the Millenials, right?!

Don’t get me wrong the Boomer’s stewardship of the planet has been abysmal in just about every way but also one of incredible change.  Unfortunately they are mostly still in charge and continue to lead with greater short sighted recklessness then they did even a decade ago. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

CDC does realize there were numerous generations between the Boomers and the Millenials, right?!

Don’t get me wrong the Boomer’s stewardship of the planet has been abysmal in just about every way but also one of incredible change.  Unfortunately they are mostly still in charge and continue to lead with greater short sighted recklessness then they did even a decade ago. 

Boomers ended in 60 and (I’m guessing here) millennials started in the new millennium, so a 40 year gap?  You suggesting life for kids got progressively more difficult over those 40 years?  

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Do you think CDC is made of a millennial majority ? I’m sure there’s plenty of us on here but I know from discussions around various subforums that there’s a significant population of Gen X and Boomers around these parts. I think your complaint may be misguided. 

I have no idea what the breakdown is on cdc. Its pretty easy talking to people on here though to tell in general who are the older generation and who are the younger ones though. 

We are all cranky and opinionated, we just have a different delivery system for it lol.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Guess which generation stands to inherit the lion's share of that boomer wealth though? Millenials will very likely end up having the biggest transfer of wealth in history. Without lifting a finger to earn it. So your theory is a bit off. They will probably end up the wealthiest generation in the end.

All the boomers who lost their houses due to being upside down on their mortgages with insanely high interest rates probably would disagree with your assertion that the entire generation had it easy.

• Cheers 2