The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boomers ended in 60 and (I’m guessing here) millennials started in the new millennium, so a 40 year gap?  You suggesting life for kids got progressively more difficult over those 40 years?  

For you reading pleasure Alf.

• Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)

• Gen X: Gen X was born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)

• Gen Y: Gen Y, or Millennials, were born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)

• Gen Y.1 = 25-29 years old (around 31 million people in the U.S.)

• Gen Y.2 = 29-39 (around 42 million people in the U.S.)

• Gen Z: Gen Z is the newest generation, born between 1997 and 2012/15. They are currently between 6 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Your last sentence is sad but true.

Today bettman is a genius, then no matter what tomorrow he is wrong.  like MIlbury wrong.  The day after he will be Bowman smart.

The circle continues, the earth is healing.

• Cheers 1

I think the only players not being actively included in potential trade discussions are:

Pettersson

Hughes

Horvat

Boeser

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Demko

I think the Canucks will actively engaged in trade discussions around ANYONE not on that list. Miller is likely also safe.

All other players as well as our draft picks, are all fair game right now.

That doesn't mean that Schmidt is actively being shipped, it just means that Benning will discuss that option with other teams if it makes us better.

This happens every off season, it's nothing new.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Hhmmm this thread took a hard left and ended up on the wrong side of the highway. So where is Nate gonna end up? Maybe a straight up swap for Dumba? 

Would handcuff the Wild.  They don’t need another 30 year old D for 4 seasons.  Dumba has chemistry with Brodin and is a natural RD.  Far better for them to have him than Schmidt.

They might already be looking to move him for cap space so it wouldn’t be to replace him with someone just as expensive.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the only players not being actively included in potential trade discussions are:

Pettersson

Hughes

Horvat

Boeser

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Demko

I think the Canucks will actively engaged in trade discussions around ANYONE not on that list. Miller is likely also safe.

All other players as well as our draft picks, are all fair game right now.

That doesn't mean that Schmidt is actively being shipped, it just means that Benning will discuss that option with other teams if it makes us better.

This happens every off season, it's nothing new.

Rathbone too.  He was listed in Aquilini’s end of season letter with Miller too.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, mll said:

Rathbone too.  He was listed in Aquilini’s end of season letter with Miller too.

Means nothing.
Miller is a comparable to Pettersson etc…

Rathbone, not so much. He’s good. But not untradable good.

Edited by Me_

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Do you think CDC is made of a millennial majority ? I’m sure there’s plenty of us on here but I know from discussions around various subforums that there’s a significant population of Gen X and Boomers around these parts. I think your complaint may be misguided. 

I think so too! Sean.

I have had the privilege to work for years (The past 40 years), with a lot of summer staff. They have aged between 17 and 50, with most being in their early 20"s.

I can think of only 1 out of several 100, that was not motivated......but he was still polite and respectful.

I fund that once showing them what was expected, they buckled down and worked hard. When they did screw up, they owned their problem. I respected that!

Personally, I find most young people incredible, and are far more conservative then I was.

IMO, I find more people 45 to 55, a little too full of themselves. And more often than not, they are the ones that end being called out.

In saying that, for the most part, there are very few idiots out there.......and most grow up

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Hhmmm this thread took a hard left and ended up on the wrong side of the highway. So where is Nate gonna end up? Maybe a straight up swap for Dumba? 

- L.A. Kings

- Colorado Avalanche

- Philadelphia Flyers.

Likelyhood in this order, assuming that Seth Jones joins the Chicago Blackhawks. Flyers need a top - pairing D-Man therefore Schmidt would not be the their first option. Schmidt can play on their second pairing with Myers tho. Canucks might have to retain Salary, because Flyers can't take on Schmidt's full cap hit.

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

- L.A. Kings

- Colorado Avalanche

- Philadelphia Flyers.

Likelyhood in this order, assuming that Seth Jones joins the Chicago Blackhawks. Flyers need a top - pairing D-Man therefore Schmidt would not be the their first option. Schmidt can play on their second pairing with Myers tho. Canucks might have to retain Salary, because Flyers can't take on Schmidt's full cap hit.

Let’s suppose for a minute that the rumor is true and Nate wants out. If JB can get good value for him then sure, trade him. If not, why trade him at all, never mind retaining salary. How does that benefit the team? Remember that Bure wanted out for at least the last two years he was here.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Let’s suppose for a minute that the rumor is true and Nate wants out. If JB can get good value for him then sure, trade him. If not, why trade him at all, never mind retaining salary. How does that benefit the team? Remember that Bure wanted out for at least the last two years he was here.

If a player wants out, then I would prefer they are gone. Now this doesn't pre-suppose that Schmidt wants out, only JB will know that.

But you are right about not wanting salary retention. Perhaps the best move would be exposing Schmidt to Seattle, they take his whole cap hit and we don't lose a prospect such as Lind or Gadjovich to them.

Realistically the return for Schmidt in a trade will be minimal because everyone knows we got him for a 3rd and it has been reported he wants to leave - we have very little leverage. So a poor return with salary retention is extremely unpalatable from my perspective.

With the cap space created by Seattle taking him we could take a run at Dougie Hamilton in FA, at least if he signs here as a UFA we know he wants to be here!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its called misdirection. Millenials are asked to do more with less, work harder, etc. while the Boomers got to enjoy a nice coke-fuelled debt balloon until cashing on on foreign home sales. 

Umm no 

https://theconversation.com/millennials-gen-x-gen-z-baby-boomers-how-generation-labels-cloud-issues-of-inequality-106892

I like the member who stated he Schmidt himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

with respect, yes it was much easier to find a good job and get a home in the 80s and 90s, at least here in North America. Maybe it was different in Oz, not sure. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with respect, yes it was much easier to find a good job and get a home in the 80s and 90s, at least here in North America. Maybe it was different in Oz, not sure. 

Yes, and no. There was no internet, if you had a computer you could type up a resume, or literally you had to use a typewriter to type up a resume. You had to actually go into job sites, and either drop off a resume and hope they were hiring. Or do a lot of cold calling on the phone. Because of various recessions, trades were hard to get into. Basically knowing people and knowing when companies were hiring was a big deal. Jobs fairs were a joke, as they only offered the lousiest of entry level (And usually dead end jobs). 

Best choice was BCIT or an education where they had work semesters. Then you'd get experience, meet people in the industry. Or just start your own business. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yes, and no. There was no internet, if you had a computer you could type up a resume, or literally you had to use a typewriter to type up a resume. You had to actually go into job sites, and either drop off a resume and hope they were hiring. Or do a lot of cold calling on the phone. Because of various recessions, trades were hard to get into. Basically knowing people and knowing when companies were hiring was a big deal. Jobs fairs were a joke, as they only offered the lousiest of entry level (And usually dead end jobs). 

Best choice was BCIT or an education where they had work semesters. Then you'd get experience, meet people in the industry. Or just start your own business. 

of for sure, BCIT was golden then. Still is to some degree, many programs still have great job placement options. 

Is internet job searching easier tho? I wonder what the "game" is there, there must be one. From the small bit I've heard from my daughter and her pals, its often a leader to get you in and once you're there offer you low hours vs the promise of full time like the posting suggested. Don't know how widespread that kind of thing is. 

I find the whole Boomer vs Millenial thing goofy, any objective look at it and you can see it is harder for younger people now to have the same things. I don't even know why its debated. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Means nothing.
Miller is a comparable to Pettersson etc…

Rathbone, not so much. He’s good. But not untradable good.

Nobody is 'untradable'.

But trading a young guy on an ELC who looks like he might be able to replace a lot of what Schmidt does, very soon.... He's probably not far down that 'not remotely looking to trade him, without a silly overpay' list.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

OMG

Newspaper, jobs section, circle or x in pen, cold calls…

”hi I just saw your ad in the paper. Is the job still available?”

-draw an x

- draw an x

- draw an x

- draw an x

- give up…

Thanks for the flashback!

• Haha 1