The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd do everything to move Myers before Schmidt. Schmidt is more reliable imo & can play either side.

Also if you need to clear money down the road I'd be more confident in Schmidt's value than Myers. 

This, get Seattle to take Oscar Meyer of our hands. Schmidt needs a coach willing to play him on the right side and 100% this team needs NEW assistant coaches that will help deploy him better. Although that probably is the head coaches job and Green is back again so can't see much changing how he deploys his roster compared to all the other years he has been coach. Expect the older players to play and the younger ones to be scratched unless you have a never give up mentality like Hoglander and hopefully Podkolzin 

• Sad 1

We need to get a top pairing guy and a top six forward to be competitive again. I don't see that happening without building through the draft. 

If we're trading a defenseman, it's not going to be Rathbone or Schmidt it'll be Juolevi who would benefit from a change of scenery. Rathbone, although undersized, has a lot of potential and it would be a blunder to trade him so soon. 

If we trade Juolevi + 1st for a top pairing guy, then what the hell are we trading to upgrade our 3C and LW positions. We wouldn't have anything left that's tradeable save for Virtanen or Holtby, at least one of whom will be bought out. If we keep Holtby, he'd better have a bounce back year I don't think our core is old enough yet to make the next jump. We need one of the young forwards from the next two drafts, defensive help and some complimentary players. 

To answer your question, no, Schmidt is not on the move. Not at all. 

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’d take everything with a grain of salt. Even Benning saying no trade request has happened. If people know he wants out then you might not get the best offers because they know you have to move him. If I were in his position and somebody asked to be traded I wouldn’t leak it to the media either.

Sure, that's totally fair. I just highly doubt these journalist have any inside information whatsoever most of the time. A lot of what they do is common sense guess. Schmidt is new, had a off year, and we didn't get to know him as well as we could have because covid. Saying he might want to leave after a really rough season gets people talking. Then twitter explodes until something, or nothing happen and the cycle goes on.

3 hours ago, Deets said:

Schmidt's was starting to turn things around and was arguably our best D in the last stretch of the season. He hasn't gotten a fair shake at things here and I'd be disappointed if we got rid of him before we see what we have, especially because we would be selling low. Having said that, if the right deal comes around for an upgrade I wouldn't be opposed to him going the other way.

I agree. First years can be a tough adjustment. I bet we see a much improved Schmidt next year.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now Schmidt is on the move? Sounds like Drance and Johnston are spitballing and nothing more. The issues with the defense start with Nolan Baumgartner. Bringing him back is a mistake that will result in the team continuing to be porous defensively, regardless of the personnel on the ice. 

This rumor seems to be full of something that rhymes with Schmidt.

Can’t stand Drance... or Stewart. Both are tools

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Canucks open to moving Schmidt

What are the thoughts on that?

It feels as if his enthusiasm wasn’t overly shared. Yet he rest of the team, to the point that Holtby had to tell him to lower the amplitude…

Is he not a fit then?

Schmidt + for Jones?

His enthusiasm ruined the mood of the team? If that's the case then we are in even worse shape that I thought. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Sure, that's totally fair. I just highly doubt these journalist have any inside information whatsoever most of the time. A lot of what they do is common sense guess. Schmidt is new, had a off year, and we didn't get to know him as well as we could have because covid. Saying he might want to leave after a really rough season gets people talking. Then twitter explodes until something, or nothing happen and the cycle goes on.

Oh for sure! I also believe it’s fake news. It gets excitement and people talking which generates clicks and keeps money in their pockets. I’m just saying if it were the case though Benning wouldn’t publicly announce it  because it would give him less trade bargaining power. So just because Benning says one thing I wouldn’t use that as a for sure it won’t happen. Anything is possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

If Benning thought he needed to trade Schmidt, he would do it or try.

J.B. doesn't care what we think about him, or how it would "look".

Guy has done his best for the organization, no matter the appearances or risk to his "tenure".

Media in 2019.  "J.B.. is in trouble, look for him to do some short term help type deals, to save his job".

J.B. 2019 draft- first round  10 th overall, picks Podkolzin, even knowing it would be at least 2 years before he would play for the team.

of coz he doesn't care he's doing what the owner wants him to do, and aquaman will rather let his contract run out than fire him and have to pay him + another GM since he's been bleeding out money to players sitting in the pressbox buyout and prolly more buyout this off season

and i'm not even sure what you mean by JB took podkolzin knowing he'd be 2 years before he would play for the team.. literally everyone in that draft other than the top couples are at least 2-3 years before they are projected to even make the NHL.. so picking any of them including podkolzin what difference does it make? there's no one in that draft at where he's picking is NHL ready within 1-2 years lol

sure JB have been doing HIS best for the organization but other than drafting "ok" everything else he's done is avg/below avg at best. flipflopping between retool and rebuild every season.. then all of a sudden tossing away asset for rentals even though we are supposively still rebuilding for years.. we can agree to disagree everything benning have done have been sub par other than his drafting.. we made strides forward making it to the 2nd round of the playoff last year.. then took like 5 steps back the following season.. we can blame covid we can blame eriksson we can blame whatever the hell we like. the cap mess we are in was his own doing and no one else.. cept luongo but thats 3mil compared to what he saddle the team with. If this was any other team i'm fairly confident to say the whole management would be gone by now after 7 years.. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and i'm not even sure what you mean by JB took podkolzin knowing he'd be 2 years before he would play for the team.

He could have traded that pick or traded Podz, for immediate help and didn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

JB didn’t exactly say that tho. Obviously if he gets a deal that he likes for schmidt he would do it.

True enough, literally, but these yellow journalists have been insinuating that he might be one of the mythical trade requests whose existence Benning denied.  But sure, Schmidt could be moved if the right deal came along, no doubt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

His enthusiasm ruined the mood of the team? If that's the case then we are in even worse shape that I thought. 

Agreed, heaven forbid someone have a bit of fun while playing eh!?

• RoughGame 1