The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

10 minutes ago, IRR said:

Oh Drance...what does this even mean?! 

Letting them know they'll do whatever it takes to improve the club, so he's comfortable with staying. 

Or

In improving the club, it's a possibility we'll have to move you to do so. 

I'd lean more the first one, haha

7 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

...and he knows this, how? This story has legs like the Hamhuis to Dallas trade that Pratt was ranting on about a few years ago.

The talks for that existed though. So that's smoke at least

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This isn't your fault for posting this, but this is such a useless take from Drance.

Here's an example of garbage reporting. Re-hash a name that is floating in the universe, and make assertions that the Canucks will do whatever it takes to improve the club. Yet if you re-insert another name, you'd realize that it could apply to ANYONE.

The media seems to be interested in two things primarily: Sell papers, and/or speculate or add to each other's rumours. It's pretty rare to hear a story being disproven by another media member nowadays, so I think there's a lot of collusion going on.

Sorry @wallstreetamigo Your media friends are not as honest as you say they are. You have not been able to rule out their conflict-of-interest in this reporting, in which they are also the benefactors of telling the report... Don't be biased, amigo.

I must have missed several good weeks of banter between you guys to bring up amigo out of nowhere haha

I wouldn't quote it because of Drance, but because Sportsnet would have vetted him a little too (oh how i miss TSN1040), but take it for what you will. it is a whole lotta nothing in the sense that Benning supposedly is telling his player that he's doing what he's hired to do but all we can do is speculate. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This isn't your fault for posting this, but this is such a useless take from Drance.

Here's an example of garbage reporting. Re-hash a name that is floating in the universe, and make assertions that the Canucks will do whatever it takes to improve the club. Yet if you re-insert another name, you'd realize that it could apply to ANYONE.

The media seems to be interested in two things primarily: Sell papers, and/or speculate or add to each other's rumours. It's pretty rare to hear a story being disproven by another media member nowadays, so I think there's a lot of collusion going on.

Sorry @wallstreetamigo Your media friends are not as honest as you say they are. You have not been able to rule out their conflict-of-interest in this reporting, in which they are also the benefactors of telling the report... Don't be biased, amigo.

I recommend that you read the tweet from Drance once again. It's a fact that Benning informed Schmidt's camp. You just can't discount that Jim informed Schmidt's camp even if you don't like it.

Canucks have to clear cap space and therefore Schmidt needs to go. It's that simple.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, DSVII said:

I'd lean more the first one, haha

The talks for that existed though. So that's smoke at least

I must have missed several good weeks of banter between you guys to bring up amigo out of nowhere haha

I wouldn't quote it because of Drance, but because Sportsnet would have vetted him a little too (oh how i miss TSN1040), but take it for what you will. it is a whole lotta nothing in the sense that Benning supposedly is telling his player that he's doing what he's hired to do but all we can do is speculate. 

Here is a summary.

Amigo insists that his media friends (he has disclosed that he knows them, and presumably has a sense of loyalty in defending them) are ethical people. Others, including myself, pushed back and said this is not true. We cited the fact that Hughes' name came up in the rumour mill. This concerns the privacy angle. Assuming Hughes did in fact contract COVID, he should've been entitled to as much privacy as he could've been afforded. As a result, amigo did not have an answer to that, despite me bringing it up again and again.

In short, amigo is far more biased than he is letting on, or he's willing to admit. It's no surprise that he's continued to ghost when asked about how the media exercises ethical behaviour when the above example is presented.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I recommend that you read the tweet from Drance once again. It's a fact that Benning informed Schmidt's camp. You just can't discount that Jim informed Schmidt's camp even if you don't like it.

Canucks have to clear cap space and therefore Schmidt needs to go. It's that simple.

No, it's not a "fact".

This ASSUMES that Drance is telling the truth, which we honestly cannot establish is the case. Likewise, you can't discount that Drance is perpetuating this rumour for his own agenda, even if you don't like it.

Postmedia owns BOTH the Vancouver Sun AND the Province. Drance works for the Province.

The media is reaching for a connection. It is the GM's duty to explore ALL trade options, so if you replace Schmidt's name with Myers, you'd produce the same effect.

I am reposting what I typed above here:

Using logic: Why would an agent (or someone close to the deal) disclose right away the details of Benning's conversation? Why would Benning make this conversation open?

"Doing what it takes" is a poor way to navigate through a trade process. You'd get less value - something that Benning wouldn't want. Therefore, he couldn't be the one 'leaking' this story.

The agent also would not have any interest in disclosing the fact that his player is supposedly not wanted by Vancouver. The only people who should know about this are the other GMs. That's it. The media virtually has no role in this.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

33 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Maybe he’s moved but I just love how this is worded. Well Mr.Drance why can’t you just say that Benning informed Schmidt it’s possible he will be traded. Hmm? No did Benning just say we will do whatever it takes to improve the team and hang up? Is Schmidt not sure about plans and this was Benning way of saying we want to build a better team with you? Or is it your going to be traded.

Way to beat around the bush so you can push the narrative which ever direction you like after Schmidt is either moved or not moved. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Using logic: Why would an agent (or someone close to the deal) disclose right away the details of Benning's conversation? Why would Benning make this conversation open?

"Doing what it takes" is a poor way to navigate through a trade process. You'd get less value - something that Benning wouldn't want. Therefore, he couldn't be the one 'leaking' this story.

The agent also would not have any interest in disclosing the fact that his player is supposedly not wanted by Vancouver. The only people who should know about this are the other GMs. That's it. The media virtually has no role in this.

Sorry @wallstreetamigo Your media friends are not as honest as you say they are. You have not been able to rule out their conflict-of-interest in this reporting, in which they are also the benefactors of telling the report... Don't be biased, amigo. There's a reason why the Province is called a "tabloid"

Yeah this is such rubbish. Benning already declared he is aggressively looking at improving the club by any means necessary. Is this what he means by informing Schmidt's camp? What a hack, written in such a poor way and so vague it could literally mean anything. 

@coryberg @Devron44 @knucklehead91

Thanks for recognizing this as total garbage.

As for @Wolfgang Durst ... Ouch :frantic:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Benning has informed Schmidt’s camp that they will do whatever it takes to improve the club.

Benning has already made this statement publicly back in May. 

“Ownership has given us the resources to do whatever we need to do to get back to where we want to be next season, and that’s a playoff team,” Benning said. “Buyouts are going to be part of our strategy this summer to save cap space. We’re going to be aggressive on the trade front and free agency. We want to add speed and depth to our forward group.”

Drance is a joke.

Lmao this is exactly what I was about to post. Benning sure in fact did let Schmidts camp know, as well as Boesers, Petterssons, Horvats, Hughes, Demkos..etc etc 

Edit: He also let the fans know….

Well done!

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IRR said:

Oh Drance...what does this even mean?! 

Letting them know they'll do whatever it takes to improve the club, so he's comfortable with staying. 

Or

In improving the club, it's a possibility we'll have to move you to do so. 

Agreed, garbage tweet.

In other news water is wet,and gold is heavy.

If they had said J.B. is going to do nothing to improve the team, that would have been news.

J.B. doing what he can to improve the team is, like his job.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Agreed, garbage tweet.

In other news water is wet,and gold is heavy.

If they had said J.B. is going to do nothing to improve the team, that would have been news.

J.B. doing what he can to improve the team is, like his job.

But if multiple reporters are reporting it, it probably is true! The media can't be lying about this. They are all honest people. But Benning has a reason to lie! Why don't the players and agents say something then? Until we hear from them, we won't know, but it's not like we should trust them anyway! The media is almost like gospel! - @wallstreetamigo

The above is what wallstreetamigo has basically been saying all this time. Not word for word mind you, but the spirit of it is faithfully there.

For someone I recalled as not backing down from an honest discussion without insults, you sure have avoided multiple conversations about how dishonest your media friends have been. I'm including Sekeres AGAIN. Why did he leak out Hughes name if he was so ethical? :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe your media friends don't follow all that conduct, in favour of selling papers. You know, because they *all* get paid when the company sells papers

As to your point, gurn, there was that 'rumour' circulating that Aquilini wasn't willing to spend money. I thought the media was pretty cutthroat when they went at that angle. Aquilini has demonstrated that he's more than willing to flex his financial muscles, given how he has supported the team financially in the past. Funny how that Aquilini going cheap angle disappears after re-signing the coaches, and adding a new one from Columbus...

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Benning has informed Schmidt’s camp that they will do whatever it takes to improve the club.

Benning has already made this statement publicly back in May. 

“Ownership has given us the resources to do whatever we need to do to get back to where we want to be next season, and that’s a playoff team,” Benning said. “Buyouts are going to be part of our strategy this summer to save cap space. We’re going to be aggressive on the trade front and free agency. We want to add speed and depth to our forward group.”

Drance is a joke.

sorry but can't see Schmidt's name in Bennings statement.... Do you see Schmidt's name in Benning's statement?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah this is such rubbish. Benning already declared he is aggressively looking at improving the club by any means necessary. Is this what he means by informing Schmidt's camp? What a hack, written in such a poor way and so vague it could literally mean anything. 

@coryberg @Devron44 @knucklehead91

Thanks for recognizing this as total garbage.

As for @Wolfgang Durst ... Ouch :frantic:

I fully get that some of you posters don't like Drance. That's O.K, but the Drance bashing here is even worse than the Benning bashing. Bashing all over the place ..... I am not bashing. I am contributing by sharing news and commenting on news.

Have some fun with your bashing..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1