The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Looks like a goof. ... lots of goofs here.

Yes, and they're usually snivelling and whining about Benning. I don't see anyone whining about drunce every day. A day can't go by without the goofs whining about Benning.

• Cheers 3

Just move Schmidt for Ristolainen (Wasn't in favour in Buffalo, fits out age timeline better) and move onto other areas for upgrade.  I think Buffalo does this as they get a solid D under contract for many years.  Could help out the culture there as well to generate some energy.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Just move Schmidt for Ristolainen (Wasn't in favour in Buffalo, fits out age timeline better) and move onto other areas for upgrade.  I think Buffalo does this as they get a solid D under contract for many years.  Could help out the culture there as well to generate some energy.

I would do that but nate probably wont wanna go there lol NTC 

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

sorry but can't see Schmidt's name in Bennings statement.... Do you see Schmidt's name in Benning's statement?

You don't see any names cause it's to everyone..... even the great Wolfgang Durst. Guess you missed it.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That’s a for sure good trade for us.  

Get ‘er done JB!  

28 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I would do that but nate probably wont wanna go there lol NTC 

Wasn't sure it was still in effect, but you're probably right.  Guess he has to choose the 10 and I would have to think Buffalo is not on the list. ::D

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Wasn't sure it was still in effect, but you're probably right.  Guess he has to choose the 10 and I would have to think Buffalo is not on the list. ::D

To be honest, I thought Nate waived it to get traded, and the Canucks did not re-new that clause?

Think it is null and void, but I don't think Nate is going anywhere,anyhow.

Cap friendly still shows a cause though, and they are usually right.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

sorry but can't see Schmidt's name in Bennings statement.... Do you see Schmidt's name in Benning's statement?

Cool. Ignoring logic and other points to maintain your own stance.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I fully get that some of you posters don't like Drance. That's O.K, but the Drance bashing here is even worse than the Benning bashing. Bashing all over the place ..... I am not bashing. I am contributing by sharing news and commenting on news.

Have some fun with your bashing..

Know the difference.

"Fact" is not whatever you want something to be true.

"News" is not retelling something that was said back in May, and repackaging it today in a tweet.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Drances actual quote on 650 was "I think Benning has informed Schmidt’s camp that they will do whatever it takes to improve the club."

The word, "I think" changes the meaning of that sentence significantly.

That clearly distinguishes this tweet as speculation.

So @wallstreetamigo, Sportsnet 650 sure did something ethical by omitting words :rolleyes:

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

The folks bashing the media should also keep in mind that even the worst media member in town knows almost infinitely more and is much better connected than literally everyone on this forum... so sure, call them out for not being as good as they should be, but don't pretend you know any more than any of them.

They hear what they hear, they talk to players, agents, and members of the organization all the time.  Dhaliwal for example clearly has agents as his main source and they use him to get information "they" want out there.  Other media members get information through sources on other teams that may be getting fed misinformation from the Canucks side of things.  Even Benning says publicly that he talks with every other GM regularly in efforts to improve the team, so if you hear that someone's name came up in a trade discussion... what do you think he is talking with the other GMs about?  Doesn't mean it is going to happen 95% of the time, doesn't mean the media is wrong saying that it was discussed.  The call could be "Hey we like Reinhart and heard he may be available, what would it take to get him?  Boeser?  Ok, that doesn't work for us goodbye..."  

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Agreed, garbage tweet.

In other news water is wet,and gold is heavy.

If they had said J.B. is going to do nothing to improve the team, that would have been news.

J.B. doing what he can to improve the team is, like his job.

Why is everyone so wound up about Schmidt being traded? 

these tweets are preposterous!!!!   

who cares? Is it really that out of reach? 

ole paper bag @Dazzle is so stressed out he is likely monitoring his stool for signs of internal bleeding. 

a super underwhelming, high priced player might want out of van. Shouldn’t we all be celebrating? I know I sure am. Is everyone afraid of cap space? I don’t understand. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

But if multiple reporters are reporting it, it probably is true! The media can't be lying about this. They are all honest people. But Benning has a reason to lie! Why don't the players and agents say something then? Until we hear from them, we won't know, but it's not like we should trust them anyway! The media is almost like gospel! - @wallstreetamigo

The above is what wallstreetamigo has basically been saying all this time. Not word for word mind you, but the spirit of it is faithfully there.

For someone I recalled as not backing down from an honest discussion without insults, you sure have avoided multiple conversations about how dishonest your media friends have been. I'm including Sekeres AGAIN. Why did he leak out Hughes name if he was so ethical? :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe your media friends don't follow all that conduct, in favour of selling papers. You know, because they *all* get paid when the company sells papers

As to your point, gurn, there was that 'rumour' circulating that Aquilini wasn't willing to spend money. I thought the media was pretty cutthroat when they went at that angle. Aquilini has demonstrated that he's more than willing to flex his financial muscles, given how he has supported the team financially in the past. Funny how that Aquilini going cheap angle disappears after re-signing the coaches, and adding a new one from Columbus...

Thats actually not what I have been saying. Thats the reason you have to paraphrase rather than quote me. You are essentially taking a middle of the road argument and pushing it out to the ectremes to further your natrative that Benning is always honest and the media is always dishonest. 

I have said the rumor could be true or it could be false. I applied no preferential likelihood to either of those outcomes. Simply stated a fact that either is possible.

I clearly never stated that all media people are honest or ethical. I said the main players in Vancouver, on the whole, actually are based on my own experience dealing with them. That doesnt mean they are perfect or dont reach for juicy stories sometimes. Thats, in fact, their entire job.

I also never stated that Benning always lies, I stated that - like all GM's - sometimes he lies, sometimes he misleads, and sometimes he crafts a narrative that he needs. Sometimes he is truthful almost to a fault. In the case of a trade request, I said if it was true, Benning would be stupid to acknowledge it when the player has not forced his hand by going to the media.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

The folks bashing the media should also keep in mind that even the worst media member in town knows almost infinitely more and is much better connected than literally everyone on this forum... so sure, call them out for not being as good as they should be, but don't pretend you know any more than any of them.

They hear what they hear, they talk to players, agents, and members of the organization all the time.  Dhaliwal for example clearly has agents as his main source and they use him to get information "they" want out there.  Other media members get information through sources on other teams that may be getting fed misinformation from the Canucks side of things.  Even Benning says publicly that he talks with every other GM regularly in efforts to improve the team, so if you hear that someone's name came up in a trade discussion... what do you think he is talking with the other GMs about?  Doesn't mean it is going to happen 95% of the time, doesn't mean the media is wrong saying that it was discussed.  The call could be "Hey we like Reinhart and heard he may be available, what would it take to get him?  Boeser?  Ok, that doesn't work for us goodbye..."  

you've just made a very good case for why we should ignore them. 

• Cheers 1