The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

7 hours ago, Jetliner said:

Lol to all the Schmidt lovers. He plays average defense and doesn't produce elite numbers. He's not worth 6 mil

Schmidt virtanen 1st for Jones

Resign hamonic

Sign a reliable dman for 1or 2 mil

he's not worth 6 million....

but he's the principal in a deal for Jones.

• Cheers 2

9th overall

Lind

myers

for

Jones

or pass

keep nate, it was an off year for alot of players. Maybe if he can pass it up to Petterson he would of had more points

would entertain hughes schmidt on pp1

Edited by teepain
  • Upvote 1

If I remember back when we picked up Schmidt many of us said that he was an OK defenseman but not worth 6 mil. We also reminded you all that his deal was lengthy.

I can remember guys ripping me apart and telling me that he was a top two D man for Vegas. He was a steel.  Now everyone wants him gone. LOL.

Last year was his first year with new coaching and the entire team sucked.

You never trade a guy at a low point. If you want to trade him you wait , put him in a position next year to succeed.  Make him look good and then trade him. This fan base and management is too hot and cold. 

Management seems poised to make a knee jurk reaction based on a disasterous year.  They need to slow down.  Make a few tweaks for the start of the season.  Low cost tweaks. Then see how things go. 

There is still 9 mil that will not be available until 2022.

Back away from the cliff. It will be OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bombbret said:

Because no one will want to pay nothing for him now,  after the season he had and his salary

I’m thinking the Leafs are interested in Schmidt.  They need character, obviously, and he brings that.  Plus he plays both sides, and is durable.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking the Leafs are interested in Schmidt.  They need character, obviously, and he brings that.  Plus he plays both sides, and is durable.  

CAN THEY AFFORD HIM

22 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

#4 in the league in blocked shots... Definitely getting older but he is still getting it done on the D-Zone

Ok so he’s good at getting in front of a black rubber thingy. 

Any bozo is good at that. 

To me that is a weaker and weaker argument by the year.

• RoughGame 1

Would you trade Schmidt+ for Nylander and then use this years first round pick for a top 4 D?

Not saying I definitely would, but I find it interesting to ponder...

Really no reason to trade Schmidt. He's a solid d-man, I'm expecting a much better year for him next season. If we weren't in cap hell they wouldn't be able to float these fabrications. 

If we trades Schmidt we would need to go out and get a top 2 d-man, they don't come cheaper than we paid to get Schmidt in the first place.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Would you trade Schmidt+ for Nylander and then use this years first round pick for a top 4 D?

Also…

NO.

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would, providing the plus to Schmidt isn't too much, so like a Lind level prospect.  Minute munching D, like Schmidt, who play both sides have good value.  I'd much rather have Marner though, except his contract is kind of nasty.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

who would we be getting back?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay, that does make a lot more sense.  We'd need to get a D man to play Schmidt's minutes too.  

yeah I think we'd be in trouble with that Marner cap hit. The regular season production would be awesome but we need better/grittier top 9 players, a lot better and cap for better d. 

I suspect they will try to move Nylander, but as a cap clearing deal not taking on roughly the same cap in another player, unless its a really good player. Just don't see Flamingo being that great a trade piece for other teams on a player for player deal.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why not?  They move out MM, and presto, there's 11 million. 

LOL!!!!!!

Mitch Marner is NOT. getting traded LOL

He’s their Sedin; loved by the people, heavily criticized by the media.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

LOL!!!!!!

Mitch Marner is NOT. getting traded LOL

He’s their Sedin; lived by the people, heavily criticized by the media.

He ain't loved by the people. A huge amount of Laffs fans want him gone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1