The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Is Schmidt on the move?

Me_

On 5/31/2021 at 1:18 PM, DeNiro said:

I mean the blue line needs a big shakeup so I wouldn’t be surprised if his name is discussed.

That being said I doubt they have any real sources for this.

the shakeup our group needs is maybe moving on from Baumer? there was nothing wrong with Nate's game until he got here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the shakeup our group needs is maybe moving on from Baumer? there was nothing wrong with Nate's game until he got here. 

Agreed. Bum Gardener could have the best roster in the league and he'd have them playing counterproductive, porous defense.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I think we'd be in trouble with that Marner cap hit. The regular season production would be awesome but we need better/grittier top 9 players, a lot better and cap for better d. 

I suspect they will try to move Nylander, but as a cap clearing deal not taking on roughly the same cap in another player, unless its a really good player. Just don't see Flamingo being that great a trade piece for other teams on a player for player deal.

We have guys that bring the grit and the clutch performances: Horvat, Miller, Hoglander, soon Podkolzin. We also have a game breaker and clutch performer in EP. Marner doesn't have to bare all the burden here.

Tap into UFA for RHD, combined with Marner would ensure we make the playoffs next season and we have plenty of playoff performers that will step up and take us deep.

The problem with getting Marner is that he will absolutely destroy our cap structure, like Tavares signing did for Toronto.

Would love to get Marner on this team if not for his cap, as long as the cost is Schmidt+. But if he didn't have his 10+ mil cap, there would be no reason for Toronto to trade him. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

We have guys that bring the grit and the clutch performances: Horvat, Miller, Hoglander, soon Podkolzin. We also have a game breaker and clutch performer in EP. Marner doesn't have to bare all the burden here.

Tap into UFA for RHD, combined with Marner would ensure we make the playoffs next season and we have plenty of playoff performers that will step up and take us deep.

The problem with getting Marner is that he will absolutely destroy our cap structure, like Tavares signing did for Toronto.

Would love to get Marner on this team if not for his cap, as long as the cost is Schmidt+. But if he didn't have his 10+ mil cap, there would be no reason for Toronto to trade him. 

If Marner was capable of helping a team in the playoffs (or into the playoffs), Toronto would probably be playing the Jets right now. Marner is a regular season player. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Marner was capable of helping a team in the playoffs (or into the playoffs), Toronto would probably be playing the Jets right now. Marner is a regular season player. 

Agree.

But we need regular season players to help us get there.

Once we are there, we've players that will get the job done. Marner doesn't have to be that guy.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Agree.

But we need regular season players to help us get there.

Once we are there, we've players that will get the job done. Marner doesn't have to be that guy.

Then you sign or trade for players that help to that end. Trading for a player who makes nearly $11M to help during the regular season is a very bad idea. You pay a player that much because they are a complete player, both during the regular season and in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Then you sign or trade for players that help to that end. Trading for a player who makes nearly $11M to help during the regular season is a very bad idea. You pay a player that much because they are a complete player, both during the regular season and in the playoffs. 

Agree.

Read my original post -- I said exactly what you said.

If not for Marner's cap, I would love to have him on our team. But if he's cap is like 7ish, Toronto has no reason to trade the guy.

I think we need players with good possession numbers that can constantly outplay the oppositions in the regular season to help us reach the playoffs.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

Agree.

Read my original post -- I said exactly what you said.

If not for Marner's cap, I would love to have him on our team. But if he's cap is like 7ish, Toronto has no reason to trade the guy.

I think we need players with good possession numbers that can constantly outplay the oppositions in the regular season to help us reach the playoffs.

Fair enough. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, it's not like Marner is a bad player.  It's just that sometimes players are paid more than they're currently worth, so are causing issues in a team environment.  We see these examples everywhere...

Ie. If Marner made $7M instead of $10M, or if Nugent Hopkins made $4M instead of $6M+, or if Loui Eriksson made a loonie instead of $6M. 

Or a toonie…

10 hours ago, appleboy said:

If I remember back when we picked up Schmidt many of us said that he was an OK defenseman but not worth 6 mil. We also reminded you all that his deal was lengthy.

I can remember guys ripping me apart and telling me that he was a top two D man for Vegas. He was a steel.  Now everyone wants him gone. LOL.

Last year was his first year with new coaching and the entire team sucked.

You never trade a guy at a low point. If you want to trade him you wait , put him in a position next year to succeed.  Make him look good and then trade him. This fan base and management is too hot and cold. 

Management seems poised to make a knee jurk reaction based on a disasterous year.  They need to slow down.  Make a few tweaks for the start of the season.  Low cost tweaks. Then see how things go. 

There is still 9 mil that will not be available until 2022.

Back away from the cliff. It will be OK.

Yes, that's totally why they kept Benning and all the coaching staff from this disastrous year...

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, it's not like Marner is a bad player.  It's just that sometimes players are paid more than they're currently worth, so are causing issues in a team environment.  We see these examples everywhere...

Ie. If Marner made $7M instead of $10M, or if Nugent Hopkins made $4M instead of $6M+, or if Loui Eriksson made a loonie instead of $6M. 

Loui would still be overpaid at that price. 

10 hours ago, appleboy said:

If I remember back when we picked up Schmidt many of us said that he was an OK defenseman but not worth 6 mil. We also reminded you all that his deal was lengthy.

I can remember guys ripping me apart and telling me that he was a top two D man for Vegas. He was a steel.  Now everyone wants him gone. LOL.

Last year was his first year with new coaching and the entire team sucked.

You never trade a guy at a low point. If you want to trade him you wait , put him in a position next year to succeed.  Make him look good and then trade him. This fan base and management is too hot and cold. 

Management seems poised to make a knee jurk reaction based on a disasterous year.  They need to slow down.  Make a few tweaks for the start of the season.  Low cost tweaks. Then see how things go. 

There is still 9 mil that will not be available until 2022.

Back away from the cliff. It will be OK.

Well Benning may be afraid that Squamfan will organize a new protest in front of Rogers Arena or fly his “Fire Benning” flag all over the City next year if he doesn’t make some major off-season changes so he definitely is under pressure to do something big. 

• Haha 2