The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Arena Lit Up Orange For the Residential School Children

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Glad to see the Canucks coming out with a statement and action that offers some measure of acknowledgment and recognition, both of the recent horrific discoveries in Kamloops, and the larger context of what’s one of, if not the, darkest part of our history, as Canadians.

I’ll leave it to my Indigenous brothers and sisters to decide whether or not the team’s statement and actions are appropriate and sufficient. 

But, if a white settler like myself were to respectfully offer an opinion, I’d say that while the Canucks aren’t necessarily responsible (at least any more than the rest of us) for residential schools, or for the genocide of the Indigenous community, if this team is truly committed to “truth and reconciliation,” and wishes to continue to portray itself as an organization that supports and honours First Nations, then they definitely needed to put something out, rather than remain silent on the issue, especially in the wake of these recent discoveries, and within the region this team calls home.

So, I’m very glad to see the organization is doing something today.

And I’m also glad they didn’t wait any longer, since the lack of any response from the Canucks (or any other NHL team) was very quickly becoming a story, especially on social media.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Shekky said:

yeah this nearly brought me to tears hearing about this as I have family members who survived a residential school and it still affects them to this day even though this happened over 60 years ago to them. They didn't even care about getting money from the government the only thing they wanted was an apology. 

Shekky, I am so incredibly sorry to hear this....that you have family who had to live through this torturous period and the heinous crimes that were committed.   I'd typed acts..but no...they're crimes of the worst kind.  Residential "school" my behind...dungeons.  Torture chambers. 

We could have learned a lot from the people of the land who were here first...who seemed to know how to live in peace and harmony with nature.  Instead of stripping them of their culture and trampling on it, asking them to share it with us.  Learning from them.

Unlike the greedy sob's who claimed it as their own.  Intruded in the most callous of ways.

I don't know how you could ever heal from this, but I sure hope some peace is found for you, your family and all those who carry the burden of this on their hearts, minds and souls.  I am in tears as I type this. 

• Like 3

My wife was asking me about this the other day. She'd read a story on the Japanese Yahoo site, I'm pretty sure. So I searched a local BC paper to get the gist.

Although I'd identify as Caucasian, my maternal grandmother was of half Native descent. Not surprised at all by this tragedy.

*What really gets my goat*  I've spent a significant amount of time poring over news clippings, these past few decades. Mostly perusing through in search of decent material for high level English classes. It really struck me the significant % of articles that were critical/judgemental of the poor treatment visible minorities(seemingly always!) received in some impoverished, far-flung, 3rd W Hell-hole.

It really highlights how full of sh** the MSM has become. As things get worse in the western world, we see our gov'ts/media meddling in remote locales, often using their minorities' plight to wrest control/manipulation from that respective gov't's hands. The media is 95% disgusting, wh*ring graft, aiding & abetting, replete with glossy Lip-stick(edit: had to hyphen, as it still produces that controversial player's name!).

Let's tell others how to live(GOOD ol' Western VALUES!!!); without minding our own back yards. & for decades we'd manage to avoid discovering what is indeed buried back there. If we had any F***ing shame, the persistence of our western media-hypocrisy would cease.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What happened in the residential school was beyond shameful--it's deplorable. The attempted erasure of an entire people and their culture cannot be ignored any longer. 

As a white man with a bit of Mohawk blood, I have a weird relationship with this history. People chastise me for acknowledging my Native ancestry, saying I am "just white," but I never claim to have Native status--I only want to respect all parts of my ancestry, whether that is Irish, English, Scottish, French, or Native, etc. I remember learning about the Oka Crisis in high school, and remembering how my grandma said she would visit Oka. My best friend in elementary school was 75% Native, but he was told he was "not Native," by someone on a reserve. My best friend's girlfriend is dual status, but looks fairly white, and she is being told she cannot participate in a culture she desperately wants to be a part of. Both of these people had family members who were abused at residential schools and more recently at orphanages. Both have suffered from generational trauma, and it's harder for them to find their generational strengths with people telling them that they are "not really Indigenous." This is part of an erasure of a past led by white people, but also unwittingly by some Natives. I'm not meaning to place blame here--I'm just trying to show how many of us have a connection to this past and are being asked to ignore it. Elizabeth Warren was laughed out of office for even trying to acknowledge that she had Native ancestry. The showrunner of Trickster and director of Inconvenient Indian, Michelle Latimer, was cancelled for "not being Native enough," even though those productions had a virtually all-Native cast, and the writer of the book the movie was based on appeared in the movie. 

We live in a time fraught with political correctness. Sometimes it is appropriate, but a lot of times it is not helpful. But regardless, of your ethnicity, culture, or creed, you should be outraged at this mass-grave that was discovered.

I think of all the sensationalization we've seen, and cannot for the life of me understand why this is not being met with more outcry.

• Vintage 1

The discovery of this tragedy, sadly, will not even come close to exposing the true level of atrocities that were/are being perpetrated against the First Nations of this country.   The crimes committed against the First Nations communities are on par with the great genocides of human-kind and the legacy of devastation left behind is incomprehensible to most people.  

Light up the arena, that's acknowledging something happened and that is a start at least - now it's time for our leaders to take meaningful action on this! 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Children?!   I work in a school and can't imagine the vicious vile monsters who did this, along with those who stood by knowing it was happening.  It's a despicable, shameful, disgusting, deplorable, unforgivable situation.  We wore orange today in honour of these children and to raise awareness.  But I am truly mortified by it...how is it that we just never knew before?  Or, for those who did, never spoken about?  Taught about? 

how is it that we just never knew before?  Or, for those who did, never spoken about?  Taught about? 

the powers that be kept it hidden for as long as they could because it makes canada look bad, and it is. as we're learning more and more of the truth as time goes on, the government over the years have been making it up to these people and their families. very slowly, but in recent years there's been a lot more healing and understanding of first nations people, and why they ARE so angry against government

my mom knew people who used to go to residential schools, (or "indian schools" depending on your age and how you heard about it) when she was a kid. there was a lot of twisted things that would happen, like taking away their identity, to make them "white" and would be beaten nearly to death, for talking in their native languages, so i'm not at all surprised there was a mass purge to these people. a lot of sexual abuse to these children on top of up the physical abuse, so i can kinda see why schools wouldn't be teaching kids these things because it is such graphic subject matter... or survivors of it just wanted to keep it hidden because of how traumatizing it was

i was taught about it at an early age through my mom . i didn't' quite understand it at the time, but as i've gotten older and piecing things together, i'm understanding a lot more now about my culture and how they wanted to take it away from our ancestors. the sad thing about all of this, is how many more unmarked graves from these schools are still around canada

• Like 3

I'm a full grown adult man, but I went to see a quiet ceremony in remembrance of the 215 children today by my work, and I was moved to tears.  With two toddlers of my own, I cannot wrap my head around the pain and suffering that these families would have gone through.  I hope every single one of us that lives, works, and plays on these traditional territories will put forth 110% effort for reconciliation and forgiveness from the indigenous communities.

• Huggy Bear 2