The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers Arena Lit Up Orange For the Residential School Children

Rate this topic

-DLC-

This has been on my mind and it's just so terrible and sad. These children didn't even have a chance, their families probably never knew what happened to them,  or if they did there was nothing they could do which is more sad. 

As much as I love Canada, it breaks my heart to hear these atrocities and how bad it really was/is for first nations. It's a strong reminder that we aren't perfect, and need to address these issues. And we have a long road to reconciliation and recovery.  I just hope our leaders feel the same way.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Growing up in lower mainland in the 80s, never heard about residential schools. 

Been watching more documentary on this to learn more about it.

Saw one about St Anne's in Ontario, there was a home made electric chair!  WTF.  Dehumanizing them by giving them a number instead of a name.  

Those photos of the nuns look darn spooky. They look like a cult of sadists.  What madness. 

A white child was also abused and lived to tell it. 

What sad sad stories... shocking...

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I can't imagine any human who could buy into this.  Who could look into the face of a child as they're ripped away from their parents and treat them like they're herded cattle.  Then, torture them if they didn't fully comply - I'd imagine, as kids do, they'd freeze in fear and confusion.

It's absolutely unbelievable to me that people were ok with this.

I, too, had never heard about it until the past few years.  And to know we're not just talking about ages ago...but some in operation 25 years ago!  

The PTSD in the remaining first nations community must be rampant.  This is trauma beyond words...how do you ever recover from this?  

My kids are my entire world (d'uh, whose aren't?) and if they were gone, I'd be gone.

people do all kinds of harm in the name of religion. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Any group-think movement really. Religion, politics... Killing fields,  concentration camps.

It's actually pretty terrifying how quickly/easily 'average' people can do absolutely horrifying, atrocious things.

We all have the capacity for both good and evil in us.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Any group-think movement really. Religion, politics... Killing fields,  concentration camps.

It's actually pretty terrifying how quickly/easily 'average' people can do absolutely horrifying, atrocious things.

We all have the capacity for both good and evil in us.

very true. The religion angle to residential schools is a big part of the problem and just makes it that much harder for people to talk about. We'd need the denominations involved to really step up and take responsibility... not holding my breath. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

very true. The religion angle to residential schools is a big part of the problem and just makes it that much harder for people to talk about. We'd need the denominations involved to really step up and take responsibility... not holding my breath. 

Yeah, me either.

Extreme Ideology is BAD in any form.

In some ways, these things coming out are a 'good' thing though (as awful as it is to see/acknowledge). I doubt a lot of average, non First Nations people, had any idea about this stuff, or how bad it was. I certainly didn't. Hopefully both 'sides' acknowledging that, is another step towards healing.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if we'll ever hear the pope weigh in on this... doubt it, f-ing cowards.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I wonder if we'll ever hear the pope weigh in on this... doubt it, f-ing cowards.

hard to say. I think if you asked the average Christian person they'd be horrified and want acknowledgement and changes. But when you get up to management things get stomped down pretty fast. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hard to say. I think if you asked the average Christian person they'd be horrified and want acknowledgement and changes. But when you get up to management things get stomped down pretty fast. 

Which is ironic cause they'll shake their fist and point at the British treatment of the Irish any chance they get.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Nope not religion at all. 

This is just a sick twisted mindset that takes gospels of peace, love and forgiveness and has twisted them to ignore their true meaning for their own end whatever that may have been. 

“We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday.”
 Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

I have three kids and the whole  idea of taking kids away and “reprogramming” them is sickening, if it was my children taken away from me I’d be in jail for murder. I hope they all rot in he!! and if any of them are still alive I wish them a most miserable death.

Some people just do not deserve to live!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Nope not religion at all. 

This is just a sick twisted mindset that takes gospels of peace, love and forgiveness and has twisted them to ignore their true meaning for their own end whatever that may have been. 

“We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday.”
 Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

There is a lot of evil done in the name of religion and evil people hide behind it, having said that I do know people that are religious and very good people leading very happy lives. Just like anything else religion is a tool to be used for good or bad, sadly, there are just too many bad people.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I can't imagine any human who could buy into this.  Who could look into the face of a child as they're ripped away from their parents and treat them like they're herded cattle.  Then, torture them if they didn't fully comply - I'd imagine, as kids do, they'd freeze in fear and confusion.

It's absolutely unbelievable to me that people were ok with this.

I, too, had never heard about it until the past few years.  And to know we're not just talking about ages ago...but some in operation 25 years ago!  

The PTSD in the remaining first nations community must be rampant.  This is trauma beyond words...how do you ever recover from this?  

My kids are my entire world (d'uh, whose aren't?) and if they were gone, I'd be gone.

I can't agree more.  This is one of the most despicable things imaginable and a terrible stain on our country.   I just hope that our present and future governments follow-thru with the recommendations made in the Truth & Reconciliation committee report and show the First Nations people some long overdue respect and give them the attention they deserve.    

• Like 1