Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0

Rate this topic


2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, brilac said:

Oh yeah! GO HABS GO!! Oh my goodness! This made my day :)! ! I just got home from my walk, and oh my goodness!! I couldn't watch the game because where I am at - it's blacked out on the NHL app.  

 

Oh yeah, Canadiens in 4! 

Try live streaming the games from CBC Sports.  It's free.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is going to be really interesting from a team construction pov. Both WPG and MTL showed how to get by so-called "superior" possession teams and - gasp - even the "best" player ever supposedly. 

 

I don't know if we can find similar pieces this offseason, if there's a Danalut (an affordable one) or Lowry out there somewhere though. 

a healthy Sutter is one helluva shutdown center.

I hope he re-signs.

there are a few depth centers hitting the market as well - not Danault quality, but Haula, Richardson, Thompson are good depth guys that win faceoffs and are hard to play against.

Have wanted Jenner forever - perhaps a restructuring CBJ will take some cap back (ie Roussel?)....

Doubt Ottawa would be keen to move him, but Nick Paul would be a nice young add to our bottom six as well - and already a very solid faceoff guy and defensive forward - with size/grit.

 

I would have been shocked that the Leafs did not add either a #5/6 D or a shutdown center to platoon in their bottom six at the deadline....but they are the Leafs - nothing they do surprises me.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As much as I love the Jets - with the exception of a few guys like Wheeler, Stastny and Perrault  - they for the most part are a team with a fairly young core that will probably compete for some time, particularly with Chevy et al continuing to bring in that steady stream of youth.

 

I think the Habs are in more of a 'window' situation - they too have some good youth (who are quite young), but with Price, Weber and Petry all 33+......

 

I would really love to see Carey Price in particular win a Cup.

Edited by oldnews
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

a healthy Sutter is one helluva shutdown center.

I hope he re-signs.

there are a few depth centers hitting the market as well - not Danault quality, but Haula, Richardson, Thompson are good depth guys that win faceoffs and are hard to play against.

Have wanted Jenner forever - perhaps a restructuring CBJ will take some cap back (ie Roussel?)....

Doubt Ottawa would be keen to move him, but Nick Paul would be a nice young add to our bottom six as well - and already a very solid faceoff guy and defensive forward - with size/grit.

 

I would have been shocked that the Leafs did not add either a #5/6 D or a shutdown center to platoon in their bottom six at the deadline....but they are the Leafs - nothing they do surprises me.

I guess thats the issue with Sutter though, can he stay healthy? 1/6 full seasons with us... not looking likely. For a brief shining moment there with him and Dorsett we had something pretty special. I like Sutter a lot, just think maybe we need to have a plan b if he's back.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess thats the issue with Sutter though, can he stay healthy? 1/6 full seasons with us... not looking likely. For a brief shining moment there with him and Dorsett we had something pretty special. I like SuItter a lot, just think maybe we need to have a plan b if he's back.

yes - always have a plan B.  in fact, always have plan B already on your roster.

The Canucks usually do - but there's just a point at which losing 3 of your top 4 centers - is something you can't gameplan.

 

But look at Winnipeg.

 

Scheifele

Stastny

Lowry

Copp

Thompson

(Dubois)

And three or four other natural centers / winger conversions in their lineup.

That's how you build a playoff team - a team with playoff depth down the middle.

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - always have a plan B.  in fact, always have plan B already on your roster.

The Canucks usually do - but there's just a point at which losing 3 of your top 4 centers - is something you can't gameplan.

 

But look at Winnipeg.

 

Scheifele

Stastny

Lowry

Copp

Thompson

(Dubois)

And three or four other natural centers / winger conversions in their lineup.

That's how you build a playoff team - a team with playoff depth down the middle.

 

helps to pull a Pionk out of thin air too. Its interesting that WPG doesn't really have a superstar d man but manage to play like it when they need to. 

 

But yup, I think you've nailed it. We've got a decent start - Miller, Bo, Petey, Podkolzin looks to be brining the right style/attitude, but we've got work to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Have wanted Jenner forever - perhaps a restructuring CBJ will take some cap back (ie Roussel?)....

Ditto. Really would love if we can pull something off there.

 

Lind plus Roussel (for cap) and maybe a pick or another 'B' prospect?

 

Would also let them optionally protect Stenlund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dekey Pete said:

Try live streaming the games from CBC Sports.  It's free.

Thanks, I will try that.  Hopefully it does not block me due to my US IP address. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

helps to pull a Pionk out of thin air too. Its interesting that WPG doesn't really have a superstar d man but manage to play like it when they need to. 

 

But yup, I think you've nailed it. We've got a decent start - Miller, Bo, Petey, Podkolzin looks to be brining the right style/attitude, but we've got work to do. 

Morrissey is future Norris candidate material imo.  Might not have had a season that jumps out and says so, but I think he's a young, stealth #1.

And Pionk was outstanding in NY before the Jets acquired him...

 

But yes = pretty impressive group considering they lost Byfuglien, lost Myers and had to deal Trouba - their entire right side and probably the best in the NHL at the time.

Edited by oldnews
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

The pride of Canada lives in these two teams.

 

Hope the victor of this series brings back the cup!

I could see myself cheering for the winner of this series.  The Jets, because of player circumstances, were forced to retool on the fly.  And the Habs have some likeable guys like Koko Beware, and Mighty Mouse.  

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Jets have announced that up to 500 fully vaccinated healthcare workers will be able to attend Games 1 and 2 against the Canadiens.

Dunno if that's a good idea... look what it did for the Leafs yesterday ;)

 

Seriously, of course it is a great gesture (assumes they get free admission)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Price will decide this series.

If he plays like he can...MTL takes it.

Otherwise the Jets should move on. 

 

I have a feeling Price is in the zone....

 

Gonna be a good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ot game 7.

 

Top line to the Jets

2nd line slight edge to Jets

3rd line to the Habs

4th line Habs

Top pairing to the Habs

2nd pairing slight edge to the Habs

3rd pairing to the Jets.

Goaltending Habs

 

For me - I think it comes down to Price and Hellebuyck.

I'm going with a slight edge to the Habs.  Mind you that's based on a healthy Weber - which I don't think he is....(Morrissey is a beauty as well, though - could reverse the difference) ...but I'm going with the Habs 'battery' in the end.

 

Petry

Stastny

my picks for the deciding OT goal.

 

Edited by oldnews
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see the Jets take this series. Lots of Manitoba Moose history there and their fans seem like a great bunch, who’ve been jerked around by the league and certain players. 

On the other hand, it wouldn’t break my heart if the Habs prevailed. Three BC guys playing key roles in their success, and Burr working th bench. 
 

It will be great watching these two teams go at it. I hope that the media doesn’t eff this up by playing favourites.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0
  • -Vintage Canuck- unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...