• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

3 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

i didnt it see it that way, didnt even use his stick too try to prevent it, but obviously we aint gunna agree on this one, i said my peice on this.

As I’ve already said, puck is coming in front of the net, Scheifele is skating towards it, probably better chance he pokes it into his own net then stops the goal, a split second sooner and the hit prevents the goal. We’ll see what DoPeS says.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

But Deb the game WASNT over.  It was a 4-3 game at that point. 

We can’t be dishing out discipline on clean hits based on results.  

In this one you can make a case that he was going too fast into the hit to justify a suspension.  

Absolutely wrong to be claiming a high hit or principal point being head, him leaving his feet and other non-sense that I’m reading. 

He went 190 feet for the hit aka charging. So no, it wasn’t a clean hit. 

I’d put that hit in the same category as The Tyler Myers hit on Armia earlier in the season. A real heavy hit that resulted in an injury. Myers did have a hearing but was not suspended. I’m guessing Shiefele gets one game on this one, he kept his elbows down and didn’t target the head. 

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I dunno, man. Even after the glide, he looks close enough to contact the puck below the goal line, if he’d actually extended his stick.

If Scheifele keeps skating, he gets there even sooner. 

It’s a fast game, of course, but I still think Scheifele plays it differently, if he’s actually thinking about his best chance at stopping the goal.

So we can all agree Scheifele is on a crash course with Evans correct?

If Scheifele takes any more strides from the top of the circle, he is travelling at an even higher and more dangerous speed. If ANYTHING goes wrong and he goes past Evans, if he looses his footing he is going headfirst into the boards at a disgustingly high speed. 
Its a bad outcome no matter what.

What I had just finished saying is Scheifles stick is on the ice, he has BOTH hands on the stick.

If Evans avoids the hit and the empty net chance, Scheifele is ready to scoop the free puck. As he has his hands on the stick and the stick on the ice. He is leaning/cutting on his back hand side so that IF and i repeat IF Evans leaves the puck, Scheifele can take it on his back hand and continue to cut towards the boards and wheel up the ice. Or ride Evans out into the corner. Evans did not frighten from the empty net. Unfortunately Scheiffele made the choice to continue with the hit.

If you watch Scheifele’s edges, he is leaning towards the right, at the very last split second moment he changes from leaning to the right to leaning to the left.

his intended course was to cut right, and head either up ice or into the corner if Evans took it wide. Evans stuck to the wrap around chance, Scheifele then switched edges to throw the hit.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, he went 190’ chasing the puck, the hit happened last second as a way of preventing a goal. 

Id bet a year of sobriety that if it was Marchand that was hit the majority would be siding with me.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

i think what some of them are saying he wasnt trying to hit him and that it was an accident by trying too stop the puck from going in?, honestly im not sure.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

No, he went 190’ chasing the puck, the hit happened last second as a way of preventing a goal. 

Id bet a year of sobriety that if it was Marchand that was hit the majority would be siding with me.

Charging is charging distance travelled to make a hit, he made zero play on the puck. It was a charge with the intent to hurt, period. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If it was a clean hit they why did the refs give him a 5 minute major penalty for charging?

Charging by its very definition means it was NOT a clean hit. That’s why it’s a penalty. A clean hit would not have garnered a 5 minute major charging penalty. 

Sometimes I need to take a break from this forum in order to get my IQ level back to normal standards. 

This, it was a charge and it is not even remotely debatable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If it was a clean hit they why did the refs give him a 5 minute major penalty for charging?

Charging by its very definition means it was NOT a clean hit. That’s why it’s a penalty. A clean hit would not have garnered a 5 minute major charging penalty. 

Sometimes I need to take a break from this forum in order to get my IQ level back to normal standards. 

The refs made a call based on something happening at full speed, a suspension or lack there of will be the result of the play being broken down and analyzed.

Before watching replays I would have made the same call.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

So we can all agree Scheifele is on a crash course with Evans correct?

If Scheifele takes any more strides from the top of the circle, he is travelling at an even higher and more dangerous speed. If ANYTHING goes wrong and he goes past Evans, if he looses his footing he is going headfirst into the boards at a disgustingly high speed. 
Its a bad outcome no matter what.

What I had just finished saying is Scheifles stick is on the ice, he has BOTH hands on the stick.

If Evans avoids the hit and the empty net chance, Scheifele is ready to scoop the free puck. As he has his hands on the stick and the stick on the ice. He is leaning/cutting on his back hand side so that IF and i repeat IF Evans leaves the puck, Scheifele can take it on his back hand and continue to cut towards the boards and wheel up the ice. Or ride Evans out into the corner. Evans did not frighten from the empty net. Unfortunately Scheiffele made the choice to continue with the hit.

If you watch Scheifele’s edges, he is leaning towards the right, at the very last split second moment he changes from leaning to the right to leaning to the left.

his intended course was to cut right, and head either up ice or into the corner if Evans took it wide. Evans stuck to the wrap around chance, Scheifele then switched edges to throw the hit.

His stick wasn’t on the ice. He didn’t try to prevent the goal. He didn’t try to avoid the hit. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Which in the sense of the fact that they were down 4-3 and their net was empty, makes sense as to why he went all that way.  

I agree that he shouldn't have gone through with that hit, but a lot of that is determined in hindsight now that we've seen how seriously Evans got hurt.  

Incredibly brave play by Evans as well to go all in for the ENG knowing full well that he was going to take a hit by someone who's backchecking. What I'm getting at is that it wasn't an unusual play for the NHL.  I've seen players that get mad when they take a unusual hit while on the PP, but this was an empty net in a 4:3 game with a minute left.  

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The refs made a call based on something happening at full speed, a suspension or lack there of will be the result of the play being broken down and analyzed.

Before watching replays I would have made the same call.

Not sure why the mental gymnastics to try and call this a clean hit. 

Charge as per distance travelled and force of the hit combined with zero attempt to play the puck. 

4 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

i think what some of them are saying he wasnt trying to hit him and that it was an accident by trying too stop the puck from going in?, honestly im not sure.

What I think and why I think there will be no suspension is he was racing back for the puck. When Evans came around the net for the wraparound I think Scheifle thought a hit was his best bet to stop the goal but that was a last second/split second decision and it almost worked.

I believe when he made the decision to make the hit he was already coasting, not taking strides or going out of his way to make the hit.

If you watch his skates and body it looks like last second he changes his bodies trajectory to make the hit.

Its a fast game and easy to criticize in hindsight.

From watching the slo-mo replays the contact itself looks clean.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If Scheifele had gone for the stick check, there would have still been a collision between him and Evans, but the intent would have been much different. At worst, it would have been considered clipping than a full-on-charge. I think that's the main difference there.

Okay but if he clips him, he is going head first into the boards at a high speed.

the only way he avoids charging or clipping is to stop skating and give up on the game. He hustled back and made 2 split second choices

1) try to scare Evans with speed instead of defending with a poke check

2) throw the hit instead of????? Peeling away?? Its a fast game, it sucks someone got hurt.

stop and poke check, win the puck battle but have to start back up ice from a stand still.

or try to intimidate someone with speed and hope to skate up ice with the free puck. 

it was just a really unfortunate outcome. We can all sit here and say he shoulda done this and shoulda done that and just react based off an outcome. Or we can try to understand how we got to that outcome and put ourselves in a position not to judge and blame. But to understand what the actual intent was and wether or not it was malice. Break down body language (stick on the ice, both hands on the stick, leaning on his backhand side) and maybe we can settle down the emotion of the outcome and believe that this was an unfortunate outcome that was not the primary intention.

Speed was high, but he was back checking

stopped skating and began to coast, he is in control. He can turn up the ice from that angle and that speed. Any faster and he cannot turn quick enough to go back up the ice it is a clear indicator he has no intention to go up the ice, he only cares to hurt someone.

The plan didnt work and he sadly went with the hit as he abandoned the idea of a stick check and went with the idea of intimidation and hoping for a free puck to scoop up