• Jets in 5
    • Jets in 6
    • Jets in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 11:30 PM

When I first saw it (on a replay, I missed the game), it didn't look that bad.  until I saw the whole replay.  The huge numbers of strides, tracking Evans as he passes behind the net, and making the slightest shift to make sure the hit connects. There is a slight pause before the hit too that makes me wonder about things, but I havent thought through it all yet.  Might be the worst case of charging I have seen.  Almost belongs in Youngblood.

Ugly, just ugly.  Whether this spring or next season, Weber is going to mess him up good.  Hopefully.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Cassie - I  think? Giving credit to the ref and Ehlers for protecting the injured in a serious situation. Ron Maclean cutting it off to meet broadcast timing. Maybe we can cut some of the fat and hear the good stuff before it's cut off. 

Edit. When I say good stuff, it's about hearing about health and safety of players and those kinds of stories. Nobody wanted to see that hit. It was a bit disturbing to watch. 

Edited by gizmo2337
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Ehlers immediately knew what was up

Yeah I noticed that right away.  

Hate when pileups happen with no regard for the player laying hurt on the ice. 

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

Still think its worthy of an overnight hospital visit for ongoing observation.  Just never know, dont want the guy to have a seizure or internal bleed etc.  Does the MTS centre have a CT/MRI etc in building?

from what i understand is that winnipeg is in a pretty bad situation with corona and the hospitals are completely full. they're shipping patients to other provinces. have a couple of friends who live there and theres so much antimask/vaxx BS there, that they're gonna be struggling for a while

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Ummmm.... so hes still travelling at the same speed. The force is going to be the same. Your solution still doesnt change the outcome. Its a highspeed hit that even Scheifele is taking a risk on. He could blow his shoulder a part or go flying headfirst into the boards if he only catches a piece of him. Its just really unfortunate outcome. It was less than a split second. 

Watch Scheifele’s feet as he is approaching. He is leaning one way to possibly scoop the puck and go back up the ice OR if Evans goes wide he can ride him into corner hard but safely. 
Evans goes for the jam in wraparound and You can see Scheifele switch his edges to go in tight to the net and take out Evans. 
The intent was not to hurt, it was a split second of choice with a bad outcome. 
suspendible, yes. But the intent was not there to hurt.

23 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Jennifer Botterill sharing the same sentiment that a play on the puck could have been made. I think an olympic level player has some credibility on the matter. 

• Cheers 3

Number one rule of hockey keep your head up and don’t admire your pass. There was nothing wrong with the hit it was a clean hit. Same has the Rome hit. These analytics dewbs would have never lasted watching in 80s, 90s,20s they could never handled Stevens. It’s sad that this soft generation of hockey’s are ruining our game

• RoughGame 2

11 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Number one rule of hockey keep your head up and don’t admire your pass. There was nothing wrong with the hit it was a clean hit. Same has the Rome hit. These analytics dewbs would have never lasted watching in 80s, 90s,20s they could never handled Stevens. It’s sad that this soft generation of hockey’s are ruining our game

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The league drops the ball yet again 

yeah have to agree with you here. There may have been a way to hit Evans cleanly on that play, but that sure wasn't it.

• Cheers 1

its a sad thing that you never see stuff like this again because all these idiots SJW who never played sports have an opinions. What happened to keep your head up and don't admire your pass. This generation of players are lucky Stevens and Kronwall are not playin

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 4

14 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

its a sad thing that you never see stuff like this again because all these idiots SJW who never played sports have an opinions. What happened to keep your head up and don't admire your pass. This generation of players are lucky Stevens and Kronwall are not playin

The game has changed from 20 to 30 years ago.  Players are bigger and faster.  Open ice hits are more likely to end careers now.  I get that its the responsibility for players to protect themselves and keep their head up.  But at the end of the day every player in the NHL has a choice of whether to let up a bit or blast through someone with a real possibility of a career ending injury.  A good clean hit is meant to help you take the puck off your opponent and or change the momentum of the game. 

• Cheers 1

It looks to me like the real debate here is whether Sheifele's intent was to steamroll Evans or prevent a goal....

While Jen Botterill's point about MS being "frustrated and angry" leading up to the hit is relevant, I'm not entirely comfortable with the league attempting to get inside someone's head and arbitrarily decide on what they were thinking at a particular time. (Much like when the league disallowed Danny's goal, saying "It wasn't a kicking motion, but he knew what he was doing")

I don't believe that Mark Sheifele is the kind of player who deliberately tries to injure opponents and I stand be my statement in the suspension thread, that this hit was a culmination of a bunch of unfortunate events.

BTW: Why is everyone picking Weber for retribution? You're going to risk your best defender to injury or suspension? At the very least, take him off the ice for 5 minutes? Not if I'm coaching...It will be Edmundson, or maybe Chiarot...

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It looks to me like the real debate here is whether Sheifele's intent was to steamroll Evans or prevent a goal....

While Jen Botterill's point about MS being "frustrated and angry" leading up to the hit is relevant, I'm not entirely comfortable with the league attempting to get inside someone's head and arbitrarily decide on what they were thinking at a particular time. (Much like when the league disallowed Danny's goal, saying "It wasn't a kicking motion, but he knew what he was doing")

I don't believe that Mark Sheifele is the kind of player who deliberately tries to injure opponents and I stand be my statement in the suspension thread, that this hit was a culmination of a bunch of unfortunate events.

BTW: Why is everyone picking Weber for retribution? You're going to risk your best defender to injury or suspension? At the very least, take him off the ice for 5 minutes? Not if I'm coaching...It will be Edmundson, or maybe Chiarot...

Was that Daniel's disallowed goal against the Kings during the playoffs?  I remember that well. It was clearly not a kicking motion as Daniel's skate never even left the ice.  Directing the puck in with your skate was allowed at the time but I think the league ruled no goal upon replay because they argued that the player propelled the puck into the net with his skate?  i.e. it didn't just glance off or hit the players skate.

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1