The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

@canuck73_3 @debluvscanucks

@Rubik
Just curious, but what is your take on the Krug hit that he charged from his own end of ice, without a helmet, did not go for the puck and as a dman was headed DEEP into the zone on one mission and that was to absolutely kill someone? https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/full-marks-officials-non-call-torey-krug-massive-hit/

Wasn’t as much force and he did stop his stride well before around the blue line area, didn’t carry as much speed as Scheifele did. But there is a case for distance travelled for a penalty on the play but it wasn’t as vicious as Scheifele’s hit on Evans. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wasn’t as much force and he did stop his stride well before around the blue line area, didn’t carry as much speed as Scheifele did. But there is a case for distance travelled for a penalty on the play but it wasn’t as vicious as Scheifele’s hit on Evans. 

Just wanna check and make sure... You do realize Krug took a couple of strides at the blueline and the hit happened at the top of the hashmarks... you are aware of that right? He coasted a significantly shorter distance before delivering a massive hit. 

And 150feet of intent is not as vicious as maybe 60 feet of intent? Watch the Video I linked, Krug is still taking right up to  the blueline. Scheifele stopped skating at the top of the circle.

Edited by knucklehead91
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Just wanna check and make sure... You do realize Krug took a couple of strides at the blueline and the hit happened at the top of the hashmarks... you are aware of that right? He coasted a significantly shorter distance before delivering a massive hit. 

And 150feet of intent is not as vicious as maybe 60 feet of intent? Watch the Video I linked, Krug is still taking right up to  the blueline. Scheifele stopped skating at the top of the circle.

Rewatched, he was finishing a half stride at the blue line, and the hit takes place about a foot inside the faceoff circle. There wasn’t near as much force in this hit as Schiefele’s and like Burke said it is 50/50 charging call or no call is fine. 

The Schiefele hit was not 50/50 it was charging. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rewatched, he was finishing a half stride at the blue line, and the hit takes place about a foot inside the faceoff circle. There wasn’t near as much force in this hit as Schiefele’s and like Burke said it is 50/50 charging call pr no call is fine. 

The Schiefele hit was not 50/50 it was charging. 

How far would you say Scheifele coasted prior to the hit? 30-40 feet?

2 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

How far would you say Scheifele coasted prior to the hit? 30-40 feet?

The coasting is irrelevant as he still came in with speed and excessive force which I have already said negated the relevance of the coasting. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

The coasting is irrelevant as he still came in with speed and excessive force which I have already said negated the relevance of the coasting. 

kk just wanted to clarify that. 

• Hydration 1
30 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Jets were rusty in game 1. 

I think this will be a long series.  Although Scheifele suspension is a huge hit. 

Maybe he should have thought about that before destroying Evans 

• Hydration 1

Looks like some posters need to eat some nasty crow. 

“It was a clean hit”’.  :lol:

Even the donkey who runs the DOPS who is an ex-goon said it was dirty.  Even Matthew Barnaby, one of the dirtiest players in the history of the league, said it was dirty. 

Time to take the big L and move on...

• Hydration 2
24 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This suspension is going to bring the Jets together. They won't start slow like the first game. Their best revenge to this suspension is to win. 

Montreal is going to take it to them. I see the Canadiens taking Winnipeg in 5 games.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Montreal is going to take it to them. I see the Canadiens taking Winnipeg in 5 games.

Tonight is going to be a scorcher :frantic:

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tonight is going to be a scorcher :frantic:

Winnipeg is going to get rocked. They have Adam Lowry and Logan Stanley, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to counter Shea Weber, Ben Chiarot, Joel Edmundson, Josh Anderson, and Brendan Gallagher. Hopefully Ehlers is shown the respect he duly deserves.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Winnipeg is going to get rocked. They have Adam Lowry and Logan Stanley, but I'm not sure that'll be enough to counter Shea Weber, Ben Chiarot, Joel Edmundson, Josh Anderson, and Brendan Gallagher. Hopefully Ehlers is shown the respect he duly deserves.

I think Winnipeg started so slowly last game (I think Burr gets them fired up) but tonight they have something to play for. I think both teams should break out a couple of body bags. 

• Haha 1

I’ve learned a lot from the playoffs this year. I began by thinking I didn’t want any Canadian team to win the Cup but after getting into watching the Jets sweep the Oilers I started to think this was a team I could root for. Then the pure joy of watching the Habs overcome a 3-1 deficit to humiliate the Leafs I became a bit of a Montreal fan. I guess it’s just “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” thing.

Now I’m kind of torn between these two, though I still think whichever comes through will lose to the Avs relatively easily. But I have made peace with pulling for either one, for this year only.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Rubik said:

ffdv.gif

I don't think there's any question = that's highly suspendable.

The two key elements there imo -

1) he lauches himself - lifts into that hit - winds up leaving his feet as a result.

2) the chicken wing element

I love the Jets - love Scheifele's fire, and his hatred of losing - but he also has a bit of a challenge staying level-headed - and he clearly comes unhinged at times here.  People relying on the 'it's the playoffz' thing are in denial imo.

I don't really have an iron in this fire.

I love both these teams.

I'd have loved to see a series where both these teams are healthy - and stay healthy.

But that hit cost the Habs an important bottom six forward - and it's appropriately costing the Jets their top line center for four games.

I have a hard time seeing the Jets take this series if Scheifele is out four games.

The one area the Habs might be a bit vulnerable - is with a pair of 20 and 21 year old middle six centers in their lineup - off the puck.   Suzuki and Kotkaniemi have been very good - productive - but that is one area where a team that is deep and veteran down the middle might create matchup challenges for the Habs.

Anyhow - I had the Habs in OT in game 7 before the series started - I'll be very impressed if the Jets take it that deep without Scheifele - he's pretty damn important to them.

But I'd mitigate that by saying that the Jets are well built - they have depth at center - even without Scheifele - they still have Stastny, Lowry, Thompson, Copp and Dubois can be moved to center (along with a few other 'natural' center winger conversions....I won't write them off - but it'll be more difficult to produce enough....

• Hydration 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to NDF: (3) Winnipeg Jets vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Canadiens win series 4-0
  • -Vintage Canuck- unpinned this topic